elu 8101 dado

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emlclcy

Established Member
Reaction score
first post people hi from sunny england!
I've an elu 8101 RAS that i want to mount a dado blade(s) on, the problem is the shaft of the motor seems to short. With a single blade in, the blade clamps+ securing nut don't leave any space to put extra blades in without modifying the blade clamps and the motor shaft diameter is 20mm where as all dado blade sets seem to be 30mm.
Can you get an adapter arbour that slides over and screws (lhthread) onto the existing shaft to take the dado set?
any thoughts people?
cheers
carl

Its unlikly your saw will take a dado, only some of the RASs were made to take them as they were equiped with longer arbors and you also needed the wider blade guard.

Dados are easily obtainable in 5/8th inch as well as 30mm. I would not recommend sleeving 30mm ones down to 20 as you would need several sleeves to take into account the various widths and ther eis no point as your arbor is not long enough.

Jason

i was thinking of making a tube that slid ober the existing arbour, will be tricky to make as it will need left hand threads cutting inside and outside the tube.
Do you know what the thread the blade clamp nut is? english or metric?

good call, i'm going to buy anothe rear blade clamp flange and machine it down. This gives me 16,2mm for the dado blades (and the guard still fits). The saw has an electronic brake but the outer blade clamp has a D shaped hole so cannot turn so i should be ok!

The rear dado flange (right hand in the picture) is already narrower (16mm wide) and moves the blade towards the motor body almost touching the side of the guard. Of course there is a replacement dado/moulding head guard that you can also get (and modify) that gives more flexibility.

rasflanges.jpg

Misterfish

emlclcy":35wb8sb8 said:
The saw has an electronic brake but the outer blade clamp has a D shaped hole so cannot turn so i should be ok!

I wouldn't advise doing this - !! please be careful emlclcy - I think there may be a real risk of your dado coming off when the brake kicks in!! The weight of the dado plus inertia will likely unscrew on the left hand thread

This was highlighted as an issue when all RAS saws were required to have brakes due to regs.

Not too sure what the d shaped clamp you refer to is? My understanding is any RAS with a brake cannot accept stacked Dado heads

even the link posted mentions not to use on braked versions of radial saws.

If anyone out there can prove me wrong I'm all ears, but just wanted to post to be on safe side.

Cheers
Nick
Brimarc
(ex elu too)

Jetman is correct. The newer RASes with braking cannot safely use a dado set - the stack of blades is heavy and builds up a lot of inertia. On older RASes without braking then it is OK to use a dado set upto 15mm wide, but spindown will be appreciably more protracted.

Misterfish

Not too sure what the d shaped clamp you refer to is?

i had the inner blade clamp machined down so it was much nearer the motor, the outer blade clamp has a D shaped hole and the motor spindle has a corresponding flat machined so the outer blade clamp cannot turn next to the clamp nut. It's quite a large flat, some 10mm+ and the outer blade clamp is pretty substantial.
what do you think?

carl

misterfish":5fp4ym4c said:
The rear dado flange (right hand in the picture) is already narrower (16mm wide) and moves the blade towards the motor body almost touching the side of the guard. Of course there is a replacement dado/moulding head guard that you can also get (and modify) that gives more flexibility.

rasflanges.jpg

Misterfish
yes that's what i machined my inner blade clamp to, it gives 16.3mm of dado cut with the lock nut fully threaded. Does your motor spindle have a flat ground over the threads to accept a no rotate outer blade clamp?

carl

Hi I know its been a long while since you posted your problem, I also have a Elu 8101 and have a problem which you could help me with - I took my saw apart when I became ill some time ago. I did make a note of the wired connections within the handle assy where the ON / OFF switches are.But cannot locate them now and am lost without a diagram.
I look forward to us resolving our problems together. Regards Barry

Latest posts

Back