Elm top - solid or veneered?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratter

Established Member
Reaction score
I am building a run of built in cupboards in elm which is about 8' (2m40) long. I would like to make a top which needs to be about 15" (38cm) wide.

Is it wise to make such a large top from elm, given its reputation for movement. Presumably, I could limit movement across the width by using several boards and alternating the grain but I am concerned about bow along the length. I can't think of a way of joining shorter boards end to end which would look ok.

Is this a realistic proposition or would I be better to use a veneered man-made board of some type and edge it? Or could I use another more stable wood which would complement the elm (English and fairly pale)?

I should add that this is my first serious project but having mocked up most of the carcase, doors etc in softwood I am reasonably confident about the rest of the project as the components are fairly small.

Any advice appreciated.

I would think making the top from say four equal width strips and then fixing to the cupboards below will not cause too many problems. Just remember to use slotted fixings to allow the top to expand and contract.

Jason

maybe the question to ask is "what is going to be seen?"

if the cupboards are above normal height say 2000 mm, then there
is something to be said for veneering .
if they are lower and you can see the tops, then planking up offers more
stability and flatness, not least where the b****y hell do you get 15 single elm boards??? :lol:

also you can put some interesting joints on the on the boards to attract attention, maybe keys or similar.

as jake has said the other thing is to make sure that the top boards are properly supported to ensure that they do not sag.

let us seen when finished

good luck

paul :wink:

Latest posts

Back