Elm Dining Table - WIP (sort of!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An excellent WIP, thanks. Made all the better by including all the issues you encountered and how you worked them out.
Now, I can't notice you are in Poole, are clients offering viewings, I'd love to see it :) =D>

Gorgeous!

Thanks for a very instructive wip which shows the practical challenges and the satisfaction of solving them.

I also find it really encouraging that your clients had the confidence that you would come through with a great looking, individual piece - it should get you some good leads when other people see it and want one like it.

You should be justifiably very proud of yourself, it's a lovely piece and some great techniques and problem solving demonstrated. For me, this one of the best parts of this hobby, coming up with ways around the inevitable challenges each new piece throws up. Well done,

Cheers, Mark

Lovely piece, the simplicity of the design really allows the beauty of the wood to take centre stage. Well done and thanks for entertaining me

Cheers, Tom

Thanks guys for your positive, feedback, both on the WIP and the table itself. I'll try to make the time to do some further WIPs on projects in the coming year.

Festive greetings to all

John

An amazing table that anyone should be proud to own and an excellent WIP read from start to finish (although now I'm looking at the veritas jointer as a possible purchase). I especially liked the brass expansion solution, it really highlighted just how important that factor needs to be considered, and that under the right conditions you don't actually have to attach the top to the legs mechanically - or at least not in the conventional way, which gave me an idea or two.

I've also been very wary of using just oil and have steered away from it for fear of mucking it up, but now I feel less intimidated by it's use.

Hello John, I really admire the way you've set about this project; considering all the various steps in advance, investing the time into making appropriate jigs, and carefully planning and practising the glue-up. You're a woodworker that deserves to do well.

My workshop isn't a million miles from you, where there's a 405mm planer and thicknesser, panel saw that can take full sheets of plywood, morticer, spindle moulder with power feed, bag press, and loads of other kit. Don't hesitate to let me know if I can ever be of any help with future projects.

What an excellent table and WIP report.

It's not only a lot of effort doing a cracking job like this in a small workshop with limited facilities, but it also takes a lot of effort to compile such a detailed report.

The trials and tribulations experienced ring true with my own experiences, and no doubt resonate with other readers.

Small point - I too have had issues with a Veritas scraper plane. There is only one job I have managed where I had it performing to the standard I expected when I bought it.

I hope that the owner really appreciates the blood, sweat, tears, nervous energy, head scratching, and novel solutions that's behind this great table. I appreciate it and it's not mine!

Back