Elm Cake Stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Perrin

Established Member
Reaction score
My Brothers wife asked if I could make a cake stand for her Christmas Cake. I failed to make the deadline and got it finished this week. Perhaps it may come in for their Birthdays.

The stand is 8" high and 10" diam at the top.

I used some Elm board that I purchased from Homeofwood .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 1,322
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 1,322
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 1,322
Vic Perrin":228dzsn9 said:
marcros":228dzsn9 said:
That looks fantastic. Elm is one of my favourite timbers.

I agree with you Marcos, I think Elm is very underrated

Vic

Shhhhhh. Let's keep it that way- stop putting pictures like that up!!!

Grahamshed":1gtv7ghi said:
Vic Perrin":1gtv7ghi said:
Grahamshed":1gtv7ghi said:
Good job Taz. That would grace any table. I would have thought Elm was difficult to obtain now.

Homeofwood stock tons of it

Vic
As you say. I had just assumed it was all burnt.

I take it from your comment that you are not a lover of Elm!

Vic Perrin":32boju75 said:
I take it from your comment that you are not a lover of Elm!
Don't know why. As I said, the Tazza would look good anywhere, The wood figuring looks great and could rival the beauty of Yew in my mind. I just have memories of the fuss made about dutch elm decease and have a picture of it all being felled and burnt in my mind. Didn't that happen ?

amazing work Vic.

Would you recommend buying a couple of the elm boards and cutting your own blanks from them then.. I may purchase a couple and see how I get on with them.. My wife also needs a new chopping board so can possibly make one from the boards... I Showed her your cake stand and she wants one but I think that's a bit to hard fro me at the moment :)

Pat

Pat45":2nxsqo6g said:
amazing work Vic.

Would you recommend buying a couple of the elm boards and cutting your own blanks from them then.. I may purchase a couple and see how I get on with them.. My wife also needs a new chopping board so can possibly make one from the boards... I Showed her your cake stand and she wants one but I think that's a bit to hard fro me at the moment :)

Pat
Hi Pat, I bought the timber as boards and cut the blanks out myself. I got 3 boards about 4foot long and varying between 10 and 12 inch width and 2" thick
If you have a look on the Homeofwood Webb site he has got them advertised there.

I think I paid £55 for the three boards and it has cut up into loads of blanks.

If you contact Paul at Homeofwood he will supply whatever you need at a very reasonable price.

His yard is based in Rye, I don't know how far that is from you bit it might be worth a trip for you.

I live in the Midlands but I hope to go down next week to stock up , he also has some lovey Olive Ash.

Regards

Vic

Just done a quick check and it is about 80 miles from Surrey to Rye

Hi Vic

Yes it will take me just under 2 hours from where I am .. But I think I may take a trip down, Take the wife for a day out ...

Can I ask how many items you have made from the 3 boards and have you made any chopping boards from them ?

Pat

Pat45":vxr73fke said:
Hi Vic

Yes it will take me just under 2 hours from where I am .. But I think I may take a trip down, Take the wife for a day out ...

Can I ask how many items you have made from the 3 boards and have you made any chopping boards from them ?

Pat
Hi Pat,
I got 12 12" x 2" blanks out of the board plus a few bits.
I did not make any chopping boards out of the 2" thick boards as I thought these were a bit thick. However I did purchase some 1" thick boards from Paul about 12 to 14" wide with waney edges that I made a load of cutting boards out of and they looked great.

Regards

Vic

Taz ,Vic Who gives a Elm like It Again Vic cant wait To get Up Yours To see Wots The Secret Stash ......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: well turned matey nice Form
Regards
Bill

Back