Elektra Beckum Motor Protection Reset

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveBrooker

Reaction score
I was using my planer/thicknesser recently and I caused it to cut out. Since then I can't switch it on. Help

The manual states that all switches are equipped with a motor protection relay, which automtically trips when the motor is overloaded. A small pin simply needs to be pushed in to reset it. I cannot find the small pin.

I know it seems obvious but have you tried replacing the fuse in the plug, just in case it's that. The reset pin you are talknig about should be somewhere near the motor I would have thought. I have a dewalt radial arm saw and that has a small reset button on the motor housing. If all fails, go onto the Electra Beckum web site and explain you problem to them, they should be able to help you.
cheers,
jonathan.

Hi I have the HC260M and the instructions say if overloaded wait 10mins for the motor to cool down then press the start button ,
as far as I can see there is not a separate reset button only a thermal cutout which resets when cool,
have you checked the supply fuse as an overload can sometimes blow the 13amp plug fuse,

Cheers Nigel

Hi I have an Elektra hc260m model with the instructions which say the pin pops out of the switch housing. I have looked at the switch housing and cannot see anywhere for the pin to pop out. It is entirely possible they changed the switch type and not amended the instructions. Mine has never cut out but did pop the occasional fuse.

Alan

Thank you for confirming my belief that there is no reset pin.

I have the Elektra wired in via a 16 Amp radial circuit to a metalclad switch on the wall with a light which confirms power that far. It is then fed through an industrial 3 pin 32 amp plug and socket which to my knowledge has no fuse to blow.

The cable from the plug goes to the no volt release switch on the Elektra which I get a firm clunking sound when pressing the black on switch but no start to the engine.

Can these no volt switches fail?

The NVR switch can and do fail. You need to check if the power is getting to the motor really. I'm no spark but i'd suggest taking off the cover where the wires go into the motor and checking with a meter if the power's getting as far as the motor. If it is, then it's the motor, if it isn't then it could be the NVR switch.
I'm sure you will get there in the end, good luck!!
cheers,
jon.

Yes! I'm a bit loath to advise people on mains voltages but do you have a meter?

Roy.

Sorry Roy, I don't have one but if your confident about your electrical knowhow, you could remove the NVR switch and just try it on another machine, it shouldn't take too long and will let yo know if the switch is working OK.

jon.

The NVR switch is quite a complicated affair on this machine as it includes a printed circuit board with its own fuse and I am afraid it is not an easy matter to remove it and trying on another machine,
Like Roy I don't advocate you taking the switch apart unless you are qualified, better to get professional help,

Cheers Nigel

From your advice it appears that something is wrong with the NVR switch itself, possibly the fuse inside it.

I will indeed check whether power is getting to the motor, but I think it highly unlikely that the motor has failed and it certainly isn't jammed as I can turn the pulley wheels.

The machine is situated in a cellar and I certainly don't relish taking it out of the cellar, let alone anywhere else.

Anyone have any advice on how I can remove the NVR switch to take it somewhere to be tested.

I find these handy for initial investigations, doesn't require opening stuff up and little or no chance of frying yourself.

If you feel competent Steve, disconnect the wiring from the motor and reconnect the motor to the mains supply, thereby bypassing the NVR. This immediately halves the problem of identifying the fault.
Is it a brush motor by the way?

Roy.

Bearing in mind the possible differences in the switches if you take the side off the NVR switch you should be able to see the PCB and the fuse without further dismantling, check the fuse and if blown it must be replaced with like for like,

You will also see that there is a 5 core cable going to the motor in continental colours so make sure you note the connections if disconnecting the motor,

It is an induction motor,

Cheers Nigel

Back