Electrics on a P/T question .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchip11

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks ,

I have a planer thicknesser fitted with a 13 amp fuse and when cold will blow the fuse at start up. Once warm the machine Is fine. Can Anyone tell me how to get round this please.

Mick

When starting the machine there is always a current surge that is causing the fuse to blow, so as suggested the solution is to install a dedicated 16 amp circuit with its own mcb. You may need a 'type c' mcb which is designed for use with machinery that has an initial transitory current surge, whereas the standard 'type b' will tend to trip.

Misterfish

misterfish":acc3d5tv said:
When starting the machine there is always a current surge that is causing the fuse to blow, so as suggested the solution is to install a dedicated 16 amp circuit with its own mcb. You may need a 'type c' mcb which is designed for use with machinery that has an initial transitory current surge, whereas the standard 'type b' will tend to trip.

Misterfish

Thanks for the replys folks

Misterfish Is the above something Anyone could do or would I need a sparky ?

Hi, Woodchip11

No unless you're Part P registered, if you don't know what that is then you aren't. :wink:

Job for a sparky, you can run the cable and let them do the connections to save money.

Pete

Racers":22ekhs69 said:
Hi, Woodchip11

No unless you're Part P registered, if you don't know what that is then you aren't. :wink:

Job for a sparky, you can run the cable and let them do the connections to save money.

Pete

Cheers Pete :D

Racers":del6yrc6 said:
Hi, Woodchip11

Pete

Isn't the Part P just for domestic installations? If so, then wouldn't it depend on where the circuit in question is located? I'm thinking that if it's a shed / outbuilding, it might not come under the building regs.

Paul Hannaby":2jpd2dyf said:
Racers":2jpd2dyf said:
Hi, Woodchip11

Pete

Isn't the Part P just for domestic installations? If so, then wouldn't it depend on where the circuit in question is located? I'm thinking that if it's a shed / outbuilding, it might not come under the building regs.

Hi Paul

Just to clarify it Is in my garage.

Mick

Paul Hannaby":htzvfawh said:
Racers":htzvfawh said:
Hi, Woodchip11

Pete

Nope....all notifiable...treat it as a house.

Depends if the garage is detached. See Part P, page 8, footnote f: "Detached garages and sheds are not special locations. Work within them is notifiable only if it involves new outdoor wiring".

siggy_7":1yvc6w2n said:
Depends if the garage is detached. See Part P, page 8, footnote f: "Detached garages and sheds are not special locations. Work within them is notifiable only if it involves new outdoor wiring".

Interesting. You're right but googling the internet seems to throw up a lot of statements saying it it is not! Yet your document clearly says not. Seems bizarre to me. You can electrocute yourself inside your detached garage but not inside your attached garage !

I suspect it's to do with fire risk as much as anything - if the building is detached then any issues are much less likely to be a risk to habitable spaces. It seems daft to me in a way though - surely in areas where you use high powered tools, where it gets cold and the risk of damp is greater, and away from the main electrical installation in the house which is likely to have received a lot more attention, you would want standards to be at least as high rather than lower! But the rules are the rules - there is a lot of conflicting stuff on the web, but I would tend to go with the government document rather than get the half-truth from another source.

Latest posts

Back