Electrics help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
In my lounge I have 2 lights one each end, at the doorway I have a double switch, the first switch turns the far light on/off, second switch dose the first light.
I am going to change the switch wiring over so first switch will do first light.
Now if I turn off my trip switch in the meter cupboard will this make the power safe to change?
I will be doing this this morning.
Thanks Reg
I have opened the switch and in side there are 2 black wires, 1 go's to COM and other black to L1.
There are 2 red wires that go to the bottom of the switch 1 to COM 2 to L1.
So red 2 to bottom.
Black to top of switch.
Do I swop over the 2 black wires from COM to L1?

Caution... The circuit isn't safe until it's proved safe by some sort of tested measuring equipment. Just because you've turned off a trip, or even that the lights have stopped working doesn't necessarily mean it's safe. I don't fully understand your description of the connections, each switch function has a COM and an L1 (and maybe an L2) although in a double switch, one section maybe inverted - so one switch has COM at the top and one has L1 at the top. What you have suggested of just swapping the black wires might work IF both lights are on the same circuit and IF the black wires are the switched lives (should have been sleeved red or brown anyhow). There is no guarantee that either is the case. IF the black wires are the unswitched lives then there'll be no effect, but IF one black is switched live and one is unswitched live the neither will work and IF the lights are on separate circuits you've just linked two separate circuits (which may cause other problems). So it can be complicated, and dangerous. Knowledge and measuring equipment is needed - or dumb luck. Get someone with more knowledge and tools to do this job.

Well this is it.
I have changed over the 2 black wires at the top of the switch and screwed it back on the wall, there was 2 more L2 but they are empty.
I am about to go and throw the trip switch.
It has been nice knowing you all.
If you read in the papers a man of 70 has electrocuted him self, that will be me.
But if I survive i'll be back.

Have no fear, I survived.
I switched on the trip and put on the hall light first, all worked, then the first switch in the lounge, yes.
Second switch yes again.
It is strange that in my 20s I was employed as a electrician by Westing House, wiring up British Rail signals (that's probable why the trains are late) but 50 years on I have forgotten how to wire up a switch.
I know that things have changed and I did have a career change, office work is a lot easer than wiring up signals.
Thanks for all encouragement.
My wife has put my insurance papers back now.

Glad you survived. Domestic electrics can contain many horrors - so assume nothing and test everything is a good starting point.

Latest posts

Back