Electricity prices, There aving a larf...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
steve, I'm guessing that your lights are using 40W bulbs to provide an over all draw of about 400W. Therefore each hour they are all on they consume 0.4kWh. IIRC you can get 23W bulbs which would significantly reduce your power consumption. As workshop machinery is out to get your levels of consumption I would think you would need to be heating something using electricty. Cooking by electric uses a fair bit of power but unless you are aiming to be the next master chef I can't believe you are cooking enough to account for your bill. Kids leaving leaving computers and stereos on 24/7 could account for a fair bit.

Interesting article that about ambient temperatures for freezers. I'd heard something about that before. Shame it doesn't really explain why there is a problem. We've never had a problem and our freezer lived in temperatures well under 10*C for months so perhaps it just some makes. I wonder if it's something to do with the replacement of CFCs with butane / propane.

MY freezer a Whirlpool, the instruction manual says it should not be fitted in an outside building in low temperatures.

Soooooooooooooo! what do they know?

Many thanks wobblycogs for your post on my comsumption usage, stand byes dont seem excessive for me personally but country consumption naturally adds up to a large amount.

I am now going to use standby on my computer, so if I go to start and select "standby" does that reduce the electric sonsumption of my computer condiderably?

ask the company for the meter serial No. and then compare it to the one on the meter, this is common for the companys to axedently over charge you :evil:

devonwoody":3g6rtnsa said:
I am now going to use standby on my computer, so if I go to start and select "standby" does that reduce the electric sonsumption of my computer condiderably?

from what i can gather DW, leaving products on standby is the same as leaving them switched on, so why these companies only give you that option without having to turn off the power at the socket is beyond me.

Standby on most devices will reduce power consumption significantly. For example on a TV it will typically drop from 200W to <2W so putting a device on standby is much better than leaving it fully powered on.

With a computer things are rather more complex though as they are capable of entering a wide range of power saving states. One power saving state turns off a lot of components but keeps the memory refreshed so that you get virtual "instant on". This state uses a fair bit of power to maintain it but less than having the machine fully on. A deeper state of off-ness like hibernation effectively shuts the machine down into what would be a standby state for other devices. The motherboard continues to make a tiny draw probably <5w. There is no difference between hibernate and "off" in terms of power consumption both draw a little power. The only way to totally shut a computer down is to switch it off at the wall or the power supply if yours has a switch.

stevebuk":2g0qz8wc said:
from what i can gather DW, leaving products on standby is the same as leaving them switched on

No, that's just not the case.

Whilst some "standby" consumptions are higher than you'd like, I don't think I've ever heard of it being the same as "on".

BugBear

Back