Electric vehicles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not insisting, just getting resigned to the inevitable.

You can get to Pyongyang by train! 2 changes; Paris, Moscow.
Thank you for demonstrating my point so well.Large conurbations are connected.Should you happen to live in Snowdonia,for example,it would take how many forms of transport to get to a station that connected directly with Paris?
Quite why anybody would want to visit Pyongyang I can't imagine and I doubt that many there would dare to leave for foreign parts.

Just a point on EV power supplies and the need for more energy from the grid.
This is a bit of a big red herring that's used to forestall the EV change over.

1: Majority of EV are now being charged at home.
2: You do not need 3 phase supply, existing house dingle phase is fine.
3: Main home charging is done overnight, when demand on grid is less.
4: The grid can't store massive amounts of electricity, so night time surplus is wasted.
5: ICE fuel was not storable at home in quantities by law.
6: ICE required the massive fuel station investment to fuel them.
7:EV don't need the same level of public infrastructure because of home charging.

Insufficient grid capacity is a big red herring. QED
It's a question of scale. Sure, a couple of houses in a street is fine. The available supply can cope. But now scale up to 4, 5, 10 houses then suddenly you are exceeding the capacity of the infrastructure to supply that power. Basic Ohm's Law.

And let's not forget that a huge number of houses are in terraces and so just exactly how do they charge their cars? Or flat-dwellers ?

But where is all this cheap electricity coming from? We are using more and more of it and the generating is struggling to keep up and as for the distribution!!!!
yep. Won't be long before home electric is taxed for road use.

I've probably said it far too many times already but solar panels on the car is the way forward. You'll probably still have to top up the battery occasionally but for shorter commutes it'll probably provide most if not all of the electric. The Aptera gets about 20miles free electric a day in the UK and about 40 in places like California.

Why wouldn't anyone want a car that actively collects energy for free. It would be like having an ICE car that gained half a gallon of petrol a day by just leaving it outside.

It's a question of scale. Sure, a couple of houses in a street is fine. The available supply can cope. But now scale up to 4, 5, 10 houses then suddenly you are exceeding the capacity of the infrastructure to supply that power. Basic Ohm's Law.

And let's not forget that a huge number of houses are in terraces and so just exactly how do they charge their cars? Or flat-dwellers ?
Not really.
Since the night time draw on the grid is easily within existing infrastructure capacity.
House building now now has to be EV ready.
New EV chargers since 2020 have smart capacity built in by law, to enable charginging to match low grid usage.
I plug mine in at any time, tell to be ready by a set time, say 7:30 and charge to 80%. Then my energy supplier sets an overnight charging plan automatically to match overnight low demand on the grid.
Result I get reduced night rate tariff and I dont overload the grid.

Remember Economy 7, two rates, normal day and reduced night, the idea is not new. But with smart meters the grid loading is far more controllable.

As regards terrace houses, yes that's an issue that is being worked on, it though is not a reason to hold up the rest of the program. Same applies to flats, newer builds needto incorporate multiple charge facilities at the parking bsys.

Also, for the last several years the national electricity wiring grid has been getting renewed and upgraded to all residences as the older cable was already approaching end of service lifespan.

Whole estates in this area of Liverpool have already had the work completed, and others ongoing.

So the defense of the aging grid can't cope is another red herring.

Thank you for demonstrating my point so well.Large conurbations are connected.Should you happen to live in Snowdonia,for example,it would take how many forms of transport to get to a station that connected directly with Paris?
Quite why anybody would want to visit Pyongyang I can't imagine and I doubt that many there would dare to leave for foreign parts.
Whilst I can see your point that some rural locations may be harder to implement EV charging etc what I would like to know is what is the alternative?

At the end of the day oil is finite this is fact! It will run out, regardless of whether you believe in climate change or not. Depending on how old you are it might not effect you quite so much but it will affect the next generation.

So in 30 years when oil is getting even harder to extract and subsequently price is through the roof, what then?

I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom, but the reality is there is literally only a finite amount of oil a fact which is undisputable something will have to change whether we plan for it or not.

As a Navy veteran I have had total knee replacement surgery 250 miles away from my home on the South Coast. This has required several visits by public transport. As I have a railway station nearby (a mile or so), I get driven to the station (no I can't walk that far), The rail trip which in spite of Jacob's view is far better that in the days of British Rail, which I remember very well, dirty old trains, truculent staff etc. The reality of strikes etc. meant often traveling the day before and staying in a hotel to meet Hospital appointment times. The trains have mostly run to time and has required two, three or even four changes each trip. One of the changes meant just six minutes to change platforms (lift not working), so I have plenty of recent experience of travel by train. Mostly better than I expected. One oddity was travelling up via the West Coast but back via the East coast. So I believe in subsidising Rail travel but get better co-ordination with bus timetables and prefrably integrated bus & rail stations. For the E car enthusiasts why do the railways ban E-bikes?

Not really.
Since the night time draw on the grid is easily within existing infrastructure capacity.
At the macro level you are right. But I am more concerned with the 'local' level and that is inadequate for a lot of the existing housing stock.

Yes, new housing will be EV-ready. Old housing is not.

We charge at 10A, so around 2.5kWH. Not every night and not all night long.

That is nothing compared to evening time when people cook on their induction stoves, boil the kettle and someone uses an electric shower.

In London it is not uncommon to see chargers in residential areas, and sometimes attached to lamp posts that are now all low-power LED.

Not saying electric cars are for everyone, but for quite a few it would work fine, like it does for us.

To be honest when I get in the diesel car it feels weird and antiquated. All this nonsense with gearboxes, oil, cooling, lots of moving parts.

Anyhow, looks like ICE are with us for a bit longer, so that Sunak can maybe get a few more votes.

Worn Thumbs post gave me a chuckle, The hospital I have been visiting from the South Coast is quite close to Snowdonia and I can tell Jacob it takes up to four changes before embarking for travel to France.

As a Navy veteran I have had total knee replacement surgery 250 miles away from my home on the South Coast. This has required several visits by public transport. As I have a railway station nearby (a mile or so), I get driven to the station (no I can't walk that far), The rail trip which in spite of Jacob's view is far better that in the days of British Rail, which I remember very well, dirty old trains, truculent staff etc. The reality of strikes etc. meant often traveling the day before and staying in a hotel to meet Hospital appointment times. The trains have mostly run to time and has required two, three or even four changes each trip. One of the changes meant just six minutes to change platforms (lift not working), so I have plenty of recent experience of travel by train. Mostly better than I expected. One oddity was travelling up via the West Coast but back via the East coast. So I believe in subsidising Rail travel but get better co-ordination with bus timetables and prefrably integrated bus & rail stations. For the E car enthusiasts why do the railways ban E-bikes?
They try very hard to keep push bikes off as well…

As a Navy veteran I have had total knee replacement surgery 250 miles away from my home on the South Coast. This has required several visits by public transport. As I have a railway station nearby (a mile or so), I get driven to the station (no I can't walk that far), The rail trip which in spite of Jacob's view is far better that in the days of British Rail,
Except for the lines and stations closed. Beeching cuts - Wikipedia.
With hindsight an incredibly stupid thing to do. Should at least have held on to the lines and buildings for future use.
But then I do enjoy cycling on the many "trails" we now have
which I remember very well, dirty old trains, truculent staff etc.
Better then no trains at all
The reality of strikes etc.
Trying to keep them open
....So I believe in subsidising Rail travel but get better co-ordination with bus timetables and prefrably integrated bus & rail stations.
Imagine the old network but with new electric powered modern trains!
For the E car enthusiasts why do the railways ban E-bikes?
Economic reasons. There used to be guards vans with loads of space. Even light-weight non electric bikes now have to be booked with limited space available.
No planning, no foresight, no imagination, just another badly run-down public service.

Paul, Not on any of the trains I have travelled on, which frequently carried cyclists. Many seem to be travelling to or from work ,probably poor bus service?

Worn Thumbs post gave me a chuckle, The hospital I have been visiting from the South Coast is quite close to Snowdonia and I can tell Jacob it takes up to four changes before embarking for travel to France.
Part of the problem with trains is London. If London wasn’t there it would be far easier to get from anywhere not in London to France. London is a big blocker for anyone wanting to anywhere other than London.
IMG_4035.jpeg

The tube is not a good option with suitcases…

OK so that's only 6 changes for Pyongyang! Not bad at all!

Paul, Not on any of the trains I have travelled on, which frequently carried cyclists. Many seem to be travelling to or from work ,probably poor bus service?
Maybe it has changed but when I was commuting with my bike it was a nightmare. It got to the point where I had to put my bike in a bag on some trains. In the end I just cycled the whole trip (20 miles each way)

Back