Electric vehicles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

We bought our new Skoda Yeti almost five years ago it being an SE L 2.0L diesel in black. Usually we trade in before the MOT is due but this Yeti is the best car we've ever owned having owned 13 new cars since 1990. The Yeti is due for a cambelt/water pump also it's service & MOT in July so it's having the lot done together by DMK Wakefield where it's always main dealer serviced. I've browsed the web looking at new cars but not found one we'd trade our Yeti in against; modern cars are mostly clones of each other whereas not only is our Yeti brilliant it has real street presence.

Regarding electric vehicles; no chance at all for us; at work I had both electric & Diesel fork trucks; the electric was a real pain only running for half a shift before the battery needed recharging; a spare battery was needed and I detested having to use a crane in order to lift these heavy batteries; the diesel was fuelled in minutes always ready for work. The diesel could be used in the despatch area but because of exhaust emission's it couldn't be used within the manufacturing cells hence the need for the electric truck.

My own experience of batteries is unfavourable in that many times when I've needed something like a torch it's battery would be discharged even my camera and iPod need charging; I simply dislike batteries and hence no electric car for us unless absolutely no other choice. I like electric motors powered from the mains supply but not powered by battery.

Our Yeti is a keeper unless it starts to cost a lot in repairs; at five years old with only 26,000 miles on it we don't mind in the least paying the July bill of £826 which gives another years motoring. With each passing year the Yeti loses less depreciation; it's still got GAP insurance on it until July next year value at £14,000 in case of write off.

An hybrid car too holds little interest because it's neither one or the other; if the engine runs it creates emissions so are all the complexities really worth any saving. Our Yeti is the Adblue model currently only costing £30 per year road fund; it has the stop/start function which is the only thing I dislike about it and this is switched off for every journey however short; I'm concerned about how modern cars are becoming laden with ever more electronic kit; not everyone uses Bluetooth or needs to drive around in a mission control. What happened to the old fashioned idea of a decent basic car being used for transport; I'm a dinosaur who doesn't even use a mobile phone and I don't feel the need to show off having all the latest electronic gizmos including cars.

Just rambling on as usual; if Skoda ever make a basic Yeti cash is waiting until then we love our current Yeti. (y)(y)(y)

Kind regards, Colin.

I've been in a Nissan leaf and there's no way I'd want to spend 25,000 miles pa in one, that's some going, he or she must have a high pain barrier Droogs. :LOL:

Hi Colin, I have a little Skoda Citigo I bought at 3 years old purely as a car to tow behind the motorhome, just had it's MOT at 5 years with 12000 miles on the clock and apart from a spark plug issue it's a cracking little car, One of my mates bought a 12 month old Yeti last year and loves it.

My son bought a Skoda Octavia VRS diesel saloon in 2016 and swapped it last week for the new shape petrol model but estate as he now has a dog, I saw it at the weekend and it's a very nice car indeed.
Stu, new octavia.jpg

Lons, I do love pulling up beside the VRS Octavias knowing that my 280 superb has them beat for both comfort and speed 🤪

What happened to the old fashioned idea of a decent basic car being used for transport; I'm a dinosaur who doesn't even use a mobile phone and I don't feel the need to show off having all the latest electronic gizmos including cars.
Cars without the new toys stopped selling.

For you it's showing off. For others it's getting a huge car into a space that they'd not even attempt without the beeps or the self park, or the in mirror warning that some . is sitting in your blind spot, or the car knowing that the one in front is slowing down and at your current rate of deceleration you are going to hit them if you don't get a shift on.

The stop/start takes some getting used to but it does what its supposed to do. Your VED is based on your car having it and therefore emitting less despite you never using it so it's a bit of a con.

I imagine the next big iteration of most of these cars will be electric only to comply with the regs.

Was your SE L one of the ones with parking beeps, cruise control, electric windows, TPMS, holl hold control etc?

Disclaimer: I have a Tesla.

However, I feel like EVs are like getting rid of incandescent lights... there'll be lots of anguish but what does come in a few years will make us wonder why we were treated like mugs by the car companies for so many years.

If you think of your nice new electric car as just being a larger cordless tool then you will soon have your doubts. The big difference is you cannot just change the batteries like in your cordless and I have lost count of how many good cordless tools I have put aside due to knackered batteries.

Hi,

Thanks Lons. The Citygo is as you rightly say a nice little car; our former neighbour has had two from new and loves them. Your mate will find the Yeti brilliant and I wonder if the electronics hold up if they will eventually become classics. Thanks for adding the VRS picture; we had a Fabia Monte Carlo before the Yeti and it looked gorgeous in black over red but was like riding on a skateboard with it's sports suspension and low profile tyres; we got such a good deal on the Yeti so parted with the Monte when it was only two years old. Skoda's are excellent cars.

Yes our Yeti has all the trimmings DBT85 not that we use them all they happened to come with the car even down to heated seats; the full leather upholstery is nice; I'm 73 and am used to riding big motorcycles so I've got a good survival instinct and have no problems watching all around whilst driving the Yeti I can even back it into car parking spaces without lots of electronic aid; I think it's called learning to drive; I don't need to be informed a tyre pressure is low because I check using a tyre gauge and have a compressor.

Sorry to hijack this thread

Kind regards, Colin.

An acquaintance of mine , who works for an electric car manufacturer tells me that the batteries are about half the cost of the car. They will last about ten years he tells me. If he is right then electric cars are going to be a liability that no one wants at around 9 years of age. They will be scrapped en masse and the environment will suffer.

I had one of the most eco friendly cars on the planet. A 1969 land rover. 21mpg, but nil cost of replacement over 52 years and it is still going strong. How many iterations of eco friendly small cars would have been manufactured in that time? Four? Five? All at huge environmental cost to make, use and then scrap..

Yes our Yeti has all the trimmings DBT85 not that we use them all they happened to come with the car even down to heated seats; the full leather upholstery is nice; I'm 73 and am used to riding big motorcycles so I've got a good survival instinct and have no problems watching all around whilst driving the Yeti I can even back it into car parking spaces without lots of electronic aid; I think it's called learning to drive; I don't need to be informed a tyre pressure is low because I check using a tyre gauge and have a compressor.

Ah you have then disabled the beeps then and don't use the heated seats when its 2C outside?

I like most others can park my car fine with no aids because as you so scathingly politely put it, we all learned to drive, but having them just makes life easier, hell they turn on automatically so are you going to the effort to turn them off each time on principal?

A TPMS is very useful WHILE driving, not while it's stationary and can help spot a tyre losing pressure before you utterly annihilate it, potentially leading to a completely ruined tyre or worse an accident. It also doesn't stop the car working if its broken just like the heated sets, cruise control, blind spot detection and everything else that isn't the ECU controlling the actual engine and drivetrain. I can at least understand a desire for a simpler car where you don't even have that. Sadly they aren't terribly common any more, in part becase they oft make the Bugatti Veryon fuel economy look quite frugal.

I entirely agree on the Skodas. Had an Octavia Hatch before this Superb Estate. It's had 50,000 on it from me in 3 years since I got it 3 months old.

An acquaintance of mine , who works for an electric car manufacturer tells me that the batteries are about half the cost of the car. They will last about ten years he tells me. If he is right then electric cars are going to be a liability that no one wants at around 9 years of age. They will be scrapped en masse and the environment will suffer.

I had one of the most eco friendly cars on the planet. A 1969 land rover. 21mpg, but nil cost of replacement over 52 years and it is still going strong. How many iterations of eco friendly small cars would have been manufactured in that time? Four? Five? All at huge environmental cost to make, use and then scrap..
There is no need to scrap the entire car becase the battery is degraded. Manufacturers will (have to) have programs in place.

Last edited:
Lons, I do love pulling up beside the VRS Octavias knowing that my 280 superb has them beat for both comfort and speed 🤪

Cars without the new toys stopped selling.

For you it's showing off. For others it's getting a huge car into a space that they'd not even attempt without the beeps or the self park, or the in mirror warning that some . is sitting in your blind spot, or the car knowing that the one in front is slowing down and at your current rate of deceleration you are going to hit them if you don't get a shift on.

The stop/start takes some getting used to but it does what its supposed to do. Your VED is based on your car having it and therefore emitting less despite you never using it so it's a bit of a con.

I imagine the next big iteration of most of these cars will be electric only to comply with the regs.

Was your SE L one of the ones with parking beeps, cruise control, electric windows, TPMS, holl hold control etc?
haha nice, i love those superbs, proper sleepers. I drive a 2019 Golf Gti and am part of the emission problem apparently. You might even get me on a launch, i dont know

haha nice, i love those superbs, proper sleepers. I drive a 2019 Golf Gti and am part of the emission problem apparently. You might even get me on a launch, i dont know

It's a heffer of a car but I think its supposed to be like 5.8 to 62? Mine was sold by the Skoda dealer with a "Steinbauer" box fitted which they claim adds extra power. Its deffo on the car as I had it in my hand at one point, but I've never tried turning it off to see if I can even see a difference.

It'll beat my S2000 handily, but its a little boatier in the corners 😂 Though the sport mode does stiffen the suspension and steering quite a bit. But its a roadboat and as long as you still remember that it's a great drive. Everyone comments on how smooth it is, passengers in the back note how much leg room they have and I grin on the occasions I let it stretch its legs. For a petrol I was happy with 540 miles from the last tank, but then I sit on the motorway at 65 a fair bit (while not getting in the way of everyone else). Much more relaxed when arriving home 3 minutes later.

I think there's a guy with one of these that got the full Revo set and even put a TDi badge on the back. 500hp family estate that turns no heads 99% of the time.

Last edited:
It's a heffer of a car but I think its supposed to be like 5.8 to 62? Mine was sold by the Skoda dealer with a "Steinbauer" box fitted which they claim adds extra power. Its deffo on the car as I had it in my hand at one point, but I've never tried turning it off to see if I can even see a difference.

It'll beat my S2000 handily, but its a little boatier in the corners 😂 Though the sport mode does stiffen the suspension and steering quite a bit. But its a roadboat and as long as you still remember that it's a great drive. Everyone comments on how clean it is, passengers in the back note how much leg room they have and I grin on the occasions I let it stretch its legs. For a petrol I was happy with 540 miles from the last tank, but then I sit on the motorway at 65 a fair bit (while not getting in the way of everyone else). Much more relaxed when arriving home 3 minutes later.

I think there's a guy with one of these that got the full Revo set and even put a TDi badge on the back. 500hp family estate that turns no heads 99% of the time.
5.8 to 60 might just pull the pants off my Gti then haha. Mine is the performance model at 250bhp but only FWD. But yes handling may be a bit better. My fuel efficiency is not quite that good, I need a lighter right foot.

Sounds like you have some nice vehicles, the S2000 is a great driving car.

5.8 to 60 might just pull the pants off my Gti then haha. Mine is the performance model at 250bhp but only FWD. But yes handling may be a bit better. My fuel efficiency is not quite that good, I need a lighter right foot.

Sounds like you have some nice vehicles, the S2000 is a great driving car.
Oh just those 2. I started at 19 with a Focus 1.6, then an Octavia 1.8. My brothers first car was a Scooby STI 😂 @Lons has a nicer collection and history I think!

Hopefully this year we can actually put some miles on the S2000.

Anyway, hopefully this Supoerb wil see us through till we can buy an all electric one. Maybe 2030? We'll see.

Oh just those 2. I started at 19 with a Focus 1.6, then an Octavia 1.8. My brothers first car was a Scooby STI 😂 @Lons has a nicer collection and history I think!

Hopefully this year we can actually put some miles on the S2000.

Anyway, hopefully this Supoerb wil see us through till we can buy an all electric one. Maybe 2030? We'll see.
You do wonder whether it really will happen or if its another one of those, we said we are going to do it to help win an election but its not actually possible, sort of things.

Either way I am not to worried, I am moving to Canada, the land of V8's and 5.6L hemis which I dont see changing any time soon. Which reminds me, i need to start a thread about shipping my tools and machines by sea to another country and what is the best to protect them etc....

Hi,

Ah you have then disabled the beeps then and don't use the heated seats when its 2C outside?

I like most others can park my car fine with no aids because as you so scathingly politely put it, we all learned to drive, but having them just makes life easier, hell they turn on automatically so are you going to the effort to turn them off each time on principal?

A TPMS is very useful WHILE driving, not while it's stationary and can help spot a tyre losing pressure before you utterly annihilate it, potentially leading to a completely ruined tyre or worse an accident. It also doesn't stop the car working if its broken just like the heated sets, cruise control, blind spot detection and everything else that isn't the ECU controlling the actual engine and drivetrain. I can at least understand a desire for a simpler car where you don't even have that. Sadly they aren't terribly common any more, in part becase they oft make the Bugatti Veryon fuel economy look quite frugal.

I entirely agree on the Skodas. Had an Octavia Hatch before this Superb Estate. It's had 50,000 on it from me in 3 years since I got it 3 months old.

There is no need to scrap the entire car becase the battery is degraded. Manufacturers will (have to) have programs in place.

Apologies for any offence caused which was totally unintended towards you DBT85. I was thinking more of the car drivers in our local Morrison's & Aldi who manage to occupy four parking bays with their one car even if they do have all the electronic aids like rear cameras. I've never used the Yeti heated seats with heat turned on and I don't use the Infotainment either; it's possible our Yeti has lots of other electronic kit added that I'm not even aware of. I check our Yeti tyres weekly because the tyre monitor won't pick up on any tyre damage until the pressure drops then it could be too late?

We looked at a Yeti in the showroom before buying the Fabia thinking it a bit too big and possibly a lot more expensive to run given it's engine size but the opposite is true it costs less than the Fabia Monte to insure and the £30 road fund is also a lot less but to us the Yeti is a much better car than the Fabia although in fairness it cost more. It's all down to personal choice we love our Yeti and intend to keep it.

Kind regards, Colin.

You do wonder whether it really will happen or if its another one of those, we said we are going to do it to help win an election but its not actually possible, sort of things.

Either way I am not to worried, I am moving to Canada, the land of V8's and 5.6L hemis which I dont see changing any time soon. Which reminds me, i need to start a thread about shipping my tools and machines by sea to another country and what is the best to protect them etc....
It's all across the major european nations. Even our lot have said it and they have got to do something to meet the emissions targets.
Canada might not be far behind us lot with regard internal combustion engines. I believe Quebec is banning all new ICE by 2035 and Canada as a whole wants to do 2040? As manufacturers ramp up production you may even find it harder and harder to keep buying new ICE. Hopefully the "nice" ICE cars are kept running. As much damage as they've done, a burbling V8 is a sound to behold.

Hi,
Apologies for any offence caused which was totally unintended towards you DBT85. I was thinking more of the car drivers in our local Morrison's & Aldi who manage to occupy four parking bays with their one car even if they do have all the electronic aids like rear cameras. I've never used the Yeti heated seats with heat turned on and I don't use the Infotainment either; it's possible our Yeti has lots of other electronic kit added that I'm not even aware of. I check our Yeti tyres weekly because the tyre monitor won't pick up on any tyre damage until the pressure drops then it could be too late?

We looked at a Yeti in the showroom before buying the Fabia thinking it a bit too big and possibly a lot more expensive to run given it's engine size but the opposite is true it costs less than the Fabia Monte to insure and the £30 road fund is also a lot less but to us the Yeti is a much better car than the Fabia although in fairness it cost more. It's all down to personal choice we love our Yeti and intend to keep it.

Kind regards, Colin.

None taken Colin fear not. I know the people you are talking about. But when its cold af out there one morning do give yourself the luxury of getting your seat warmer on, just have a go ;). First time feels a bit like you wet yourself 😂 but it warms on you.

The TPMS should alert you if for example you were to get a slower puncture while driving that didn't cause an instant deflation, but a slow drop that you might not notice from handling until it was so low that it was now rolling along on the shoulder or worse.

The people that baffle me most are those that will drive through a series of empty bays to park between 2 other cars and then struggle to get out of the car. I quite honestly stood there stunned one day when I saw someone drive through an entire 50 car carpark that had 3 cars in it just to part between 2 of those cars. I can't get my head around that.

It's all across the major european nations. Even our lot have said it and they have got to do something to meet the emissions targets.
Canada might not be far behind us lot with regard internal combustion engines. I believe Quebec is banning all new ICE by 2035 and Canada as a whole wants to do 2040? As manufacturers ramp up production you may even find it harder and harder to keep buying new ICE. Hopefully the "nice" ICE cars are kept running. As much damage as they've done, a burbling V8 is a sound to behold.
Yes I think Canada will follow, they are a bit more conscious than their southern neighbors. The area I am moving to though, not so much. Its the middle of the prairies, known as the bread bowl of Canada, every second vehicle is a big gas guzzler. The well made ICE will likely be worth a mint once its all in place.

I envy you moving to Canada Dan, have been a couple of times Vancouver being my second most favourite city after Perth in OZ. The grizzly pic in my avatar was a close encounter near Jasper, he was a big fella. :giggle:

My Merc as pretty much all the toys that were available and I love them tbh, rarely use the heated seats unless VERY cold weather and the leather is freezing if it was fabric I wouldn't bother, gear paddles are always a novelty at first but I can't remember the last time I flicked it out of auto as the gearbox is pretty slick and can be fierce in sport+ mode, love the 260 deg cameras though I never rely on them rather than my own eyes however I have never once allowed the car to self park, just can't bring myself to risk it. 😵 One of the features I really like is the intelligent headlight system, my last couple of Audis had similar and I thought they were slow to respond to oncoming traffic but this is very quick and it doesn't dip the lights it blocks out relevant LED sections, I've never once been flashed for headlights too high or felt I was dazzling the car I was following

"Lons, I do love pulling up beside the VRS Octavias knowing that my 280 superb has them beat for both comfort and speed 🤪"

:LOL:
He didn't buy it for comfort though I gather it's better than the last model and it's "plenty quick for him I think" ( that's what his mother thinks anyway ;))

I have hesitated to write this but its about EVs.

I had a Tesla "stolen" from one of my Techs until the end of January. Quite liked it but was not too impressed by the cost and the infrastructure of the UK for recharging.

Last week I had an Audi e-tron on test and the week before a Jaguar i-Pace. The Audi was fine in terms of expected quality but was not too good on range. Available range was used up too quickly, cold weather caused too much reduction in range relegating this model to the also ran for me. I had daily problems getting it recharged which was a bit strange as each day there were issues with 6 different chargers. Some were broken, others were not responding to my 5 different cards to charge the thing. A broken charger means you have to find another and motorway chargers can be difficult to use when others are already using them. Frustrating and annoying. It went back to the dealer with a few sharpish words and a request for them to be truthful about range or lack of it. I would have been stranded if I had believed their range figures.

The Jaguar was also lacking a bit in range as it was at best average for the EV world and did not offer anything "extra". Comfort and quality fine. Performance OK but not enough range as I need around 350 miles or better given the many longer journeys I need to take on. Still keeping longer journeys down where possible for my whole company but sometimes you need to agree to travel.

I'm getting a bit disappointed with EVs actual performance eg cold weather battery performance is upto 25% less than warm weather.

Tesla is still probably the best option but the price is ridiculous.

Back