Electric vehicles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The working persons game changing EV has just been launched by Ford this morning - F150 Lightning BEV

Std vehicle can carry 907Kg in cargo and tow 3693kg btty pk 80-100kWh range 230ml
Extd range 816KG and tow 4546KG btty 100-140kWh range 300ml

both versions have a 400l frunk

I suppose a lot could change in 15 years but battery development doesn't seem to be developing quickly.
That is always an issue when constrained by the laws of physics as per our current understanding. If you think that a lead acid cell can only deliver around 2.2 volts, no matter how big you make it then it starts to make you understand the challenges. We want a lot of power but in a small package, much easier if you used a trailer for the power pack, can be exchanged very easily rather than recharged and a lot more miles on a pack.

TV programme last night on e-bikes in UK. Safety issues, Riding on pavements, two up riding, did not paint a good picture at all. Not that that will stop this .gov

That is always an issue when constrained by the laws of physics as per our current understanding. If you think that a lead acid cell can only deliver around 2.2 volts, no matter how big you make it then it starts to make you understand the challenges. We want a lot of power but in a small package, much easier if you used a trailer for the power pack, can be exchanged very easily rather than recharged and a lot more miles on a pack.
Which is why EV (even hobby homebuilt ones) have used lithium cells for the last decade plus
Lead's heavy, so those 'lead acid' batteries were heavy, and not particularly effective energy storage...
Lithiums (LYP is the most commonly used) can delivery much higher currents, have more energy storage, have a slightly higher output voltage (less cells in a series pack to make a higher voltage- good because high volts - low amps for the same power), and are much lighter to boot...

But Lithium batteries need babysitting, if you upset them you get an exothermic reaction which is not good. Over voltage, pulling to much current, high ambient temperature, short circuits and the need to maintain temperature during charging all can cause issues. It is interesting to note Lithium was first considered for batteries back in 1912 but took until the 1070's to hit the market.

Considering I have lived off batteries for a good part of my life- I dispute your claims that lithiums need 'babysitting'- in practice- its the L/A that need constant 'care and attention'- especially flooded, but even so called 'sealed' cells outgass and require terminal cleaning etc
Lithiums are as close to 'set and forget' that we have come to- my own have been over a year with the only reason for me to look at them at all was to take photos!!!!
I know the guy I bought mine off has his has been so much in need of 'babysitting' that he hasn't unscrewed the battery box lid in three years- and to do so would mean a good hour of moving junk that has now been piled around the battery box...and I mean a good hour- its higher than I am!!!- there a bloody rideon lawnmower chassis sitting on top LOL

Not taking an position on these as they could be a death trap in the wrong hands - and that is probably most peoples - but Rion in the USA seem to be making electric stand up scooters capable of hitting 80 and even 100mph with a range of 30 to 60 miles !
How's that for a first / last mile commuting solution ?
You will pay $8000 plus for the latest electronics, batteries and some beautifully formed carbon fibre.
Like jet bikes, they are probably a blast to ride but problematic.
I wonder what the average life expectancy is (of the owners) ?

Banned in the Uk but often available overseas are Segways. For those who don't recall - two wheels aligned left/right (rather than front/back), electric motor, automated stability. Lean forward to go forward, left to go left, right to go right, backwards to slow or stop.

Strange that similar stability systems have not been built into the scooters that are being rolled out around the UK. May be both safer and capable of faster speeds - although an unprotected 80mph woould not be my choice of ride even with automated stability assistance.

Re seaways.

Launched nearly two decades ago, the company will stop manufacturing the Segway PT starting July 15 as it shifts focus to other units such as its shared scooter business, it said on Tuesday. The model accounted for less than 1.5% of the Bedford, New Hampshire-based company's revenue last year.24 Jun 2020

The working persons game changing EV has just been launched by Ford this morning - F150 Lightning BEV

Std vehicle can carry 907Kg in cargo and tow 3693kg btty pk 80-100kWh range 230ml
Extd range 816KG and tow 4546KG btty 100-140kWh range 300ml

both versions have a 400l frunk
Nice, but nowhere near good enough, though. Many tradesmen here, especially those who work on larger sites, on interior fit-out, etc use far smaller vehicles - think Transit Connect, Berlingo, VW Caddy Kangoo and the like. A tank like an F150 is just too big to get into city parking spaces in Europe. The problem is that when you are looking at a 600 to 900kg vehicles the current type available stuff (like the Kangoo EV) have insufficient range and load capacity. Try going from Manchester to Edinburgh with 750kg of tools and ironmongery in the back in any of the currently available small EV Van's and in cold weather you won't even get there. Another issue is that construction sites just don't have the necessary infrastructure to support a large number of electric vans (onany given day in the last 2 years my present main site would have needed anywhere from 50 to 200 chargers). So unless there is a major sea change in the way major contractors approach the job, then going electric isn't going to work. And that's before you start to consider the needs of guys living in flats or terraced houses without their own charge points at home.

I seem to recall some footage on YouTube showing a vehicle storage framed full of Teslas. It was raining heavily and the site was flooding, and as the waters rose one Tesla after another went up in flames...

Nice, but nowhere near good enough, though. Many tradesmen here, especially those who work on larger sites, on interior fit-out, etc use far smaller vehicles - think Transit Connect, Berlingo, VW Caddy Kangoo and the like. A tank like an F150 is just too big to get into city parking spaces in Europe. The problem is that when you are looking at a 600 to 900kg vehicles the current type available stuff (like the Kangoo EV) have insufficient range and load capacity. Try going from Manchester to Edinburgh with 750kg of tools and ironmongery in the back in any of the currently available small EV Van's and in cold weather you won't even get there. Another issue is that construction sites just don't have the necessary infrastructure to support a large number of electric vans (onany given day in the last 2 years my present main site would have needed anywhere from 50 to 200 chargers). So unless there is a major sea change in the way major contractors approach the job, then going electric isn't going to work. And that's before you start to consider the needs of guys living in flats or terraced houses without their own charge points at home.
There are over 400 chargers on that route so not a problem really.

Well what did you have to go and spoil it all for? Common sense has no place here.

Looks like there is going to need to be a major sea change in the way contractors approach the job then as it's the direction we are headed

There are over 400 chargers on that route so not a problem really.
I can tell you are not in trade. The need to get there and get the job done means you have to get in the vehicle and do the haul in one. How long does it take to charge a vehicle? And when you get there and there is no place at site to charge your EV, what then?

Back