Electric vehicles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit of guesswork over the adequacy of electrical infrastructure and generating capacity.

The probability is that we have ~ 25 years to make the transition, not 10 years to 2030. It is a pretty much a non-problem.

Assuming the average life of an ICE is 15 years, 33% of cars on the road in 2030 will be 10-15 year old ICE. Additionally the cars sold 2021 - 2030 will be partially ICE (say 50%) as EV sales increase from approx 15% to 90%+ of total car sales.

By 2030 ~33% of cars on the road will be EV

The issue of gas boilers has also been noted. I doubt that mandatory gas boiler change will be the outcome - more likely the ban impact new and replacement installations.

The legislation has yet to be put in place, and gas boilers have an operating life of 15-30 years.

5-15% of gas installations will be replaced by electric by 2030.

The issue of gas boilers has also been noted. I doubt that mandatory gas boiler change will be the outcome - more likely the ban impact new and replacement installations.

The legislation has yet to be put in place, and gas boilers have an operating life of 15-30 years.

5-15% of gas installations will be replaced by electric by 2030.

If they start making every household move over to electric heating the increased load on the grid would be enormous and unless they supply houses with three phase there would potentially be balancing issues and they would need to start a major infrastructure project now, then add on all the electric vehicles being charged and then a surge of kettles during breaks in major Tv programs and the grid will become a major factor in global warming. Another problem is the huge expense of running an electric heating system, for every Kw of heat you want you need a Kw of electrical power.

The chief engineer for the national grid has already stated that the problem is not generation of power to fuel BEVs as every car could change over tomorrow and the grid would have enough power to meet demand provided there was a balanced approach.

What is required is that every vehicle if not being used is plugged into the gride and has V2G capabilities that way the grid can remain balanced, even more effieciently than now and no extra power need be generated. each car would act as a reserve for the grid and be able to adapt to taking or receiveng as needed

What is required is that every vehicle if not being used is plugged into the gride and has V2G capabilities that way the grid can remain balanced, even more effieciently than now and no extra power need be generated. each car would act as a reserve for the grid and be able to adapt to taking or receiveng as needed

Yeah because that's going to work. "Honey, lets go shopping, oh no we can't go, the car is empty because Bob next door has been running his electric heating"

no because the software in the car prevents this

a BEV is not like using an iron it has the capability of making sure that you always have a minimum range. Rorschach, instead of yakking out your backside, actually find out about the subject before mouthing off. It is 2020 not 1920.

no because the software in the car prevents this

a BEV is not like using an iron it has the capability of making sure that you always have a minimum range. Rorschach, instead of yakking out your backside, actually find out about the subject before mouthing off. It is 2020 not 1920.

What if I want to go further than the minimum range?

what if you want to go further than the maximium range in your tank just now or do you just forget it cos you're lacking the cereberal capacity and imagination to operate a pump at a petrol station. Same thing for EVs just do it at a different point in the journey. stop being a cockwomble just for the sake of it

what if you want to go further than the minimum range in your tank just now or do you just forget it cos you're lacking the cereberal capacity and immagination to operate a pump at a petrol station. Same thing for EVs just do it at a different point in the journey.

No problem in my car, takes me less than 5 minutes to refill the tank with 500 miles worth of fuel. Can you put 500 miles worth of electricity in an EV in 5 minutes?

You totally missed the point i was making.

From what I have read, the legislative intention with respect to domestic heating and hot water is to require new homes to use renewable energy sources (heat pumps etc) and have high levels of passive insulation, rather than using gas. This is clearly sensible.

Lots of people seem to have jumped on this to suggest that gas boilers in existing houses are being banned. This is not the case.

It is entirely realistic to leave electrical vehicles plugged into their charging station for those of us who have charging stations at home (I do) whether these are plug in or drive over mats. If my car is not in use it is typically plugged in. It will only draw charge (unless I override) during the night time low rate period. In this way (unlike with petrol or diesel) my car almost always has maximum range available. I set the max charge level to 85% to protect battery life. All of this is super easy to manage via the built in technology.

yes perfectly possible and do less damage to all life on the planet wile doing so. Infact it take 4 minutes 28 seconds on some cars already available in china

Yes 2 on sale in china now - go look. and I mean that literally
🚣‍♂️

To answer the very frequently trotted out line about charge times. This is a non-issue. I am only experienced with Tesla, but mine has a maximum range of 325 miles (genuine range when driven sensibly). If I plug it into a fast supercharger, from 30 miles or so left when I get to the charger, to 90% takes 15 minutes on the latest chargers.

Not many cars have a range of 500 miles and take 5 minutes to brim. Our oldish Audi Q7 diesel, with a capacity of around 110litres, takes about 10 minutes to fill and pay. On long journeys I need a break anyway, so the extra 5 mins at a supercharger (which I don't pay for as I get free for life with this car) is no big deal at all: it's my coffee break.

Remember that unlike petrol cars, you can charge very cheaply at home and so your "tank" will always be full if you want. It is more convenient than a petrol car (or diesel). Much more so.

To answer the very frequently trotted out line about charge times. This is a non-issue. I am only experienced with Tesla, but mine has a maximum range of 325 miles (genuine range when driven sensibly). If I plug it into a fast supercharger, from 30 miles or so left when I get to the charger, to 90% takes 15 minutes on the latest chargers.

Not many cars have a range of 500 miles and take 5 minutes to brim. Our oldish Audi Q7 diesel, with a capacity of around 110litres, takes about 10 minutes to fill and pay. On long journeys I need a break anyway, so the extra 5 mins at a supercharger (which I don't pay for as I get free for life with this car) is no big deal at all: it's my coffee break.

Remember that unlike petrol cars, you can charge very cheaply at home and so your "tank" will always be full if you want. It is more convenient than a petrol car (or diesel). Much more so.

That's impressive but not indicative of EV's at large and of course you have something that not everyone has, a driveway.

That's impressive but not indicative of EV's at large and of course you have something that not everyone has, a driveway.
My point is that some people are determined to be negative. EV's barely existed 5 years ago. We have come a long way since then. Tech can move very fast.

People like me are the guinea pigs for tech. Our experience feeds down to everyone else eventually.

Soon we will have cordless charge mats embedded in parking bays on and off road. Driveways are not necessary now. If people take their car to a supercharger (as I do 90% of the time) they can park the car anywhere. Car parks in towns, hotels, etc are increasingly getting charge points.

Charging speed has at least doubled in the last 3 years. Range is going up. I see no reason why technology will stagnate.

Concerns about battery longevity are often trotted out, but the software makes sure charging is optimised and I suspect that battery life will be much longer than people expected as recently as three years ago. Software monitors battery efficiency constantly.

There are other benefits. Electric vehicles require hardly any servicing, especially compared with an ICE. Electric motors are super reliable and simple. Even brakes have less stress as some braking effort is replaced with energy recovery to slow the car.

Electric cars are taking over. It will happen much faster than many people think IMO. For a user it is increasingly a no brainier.

you will not be able to buy an ICE car from any of the mainstream makers currently around in less than 10 years as they will either have changed over to BEV or gone out of business due to both legislation and public buying habits. Once this happens it will be increasingly becoming exhobinately expensive to own and run an ICE. Texaco engineers (i know one of them) had a meeting not long ago where they reckoned that their market worth would be 15% of what it is now in 15 years time

Back