Electric Nailer/Stapler

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I have no knowledge or experience of these tools. I need to board a loft space with hardboard and have decided that an electric nail/stapler will be very handy for this job. I will probably only need it for light work in future. What models does anyone recommend?
Thanks for your time
Cheers
Stewart

I have a Machine Mart stapler/nailer,and a JCB nail gun.
Tend to use the Clarke one only as a stapler now,since getting the nail gun.
Main points to look for are what type/size of staples/nails they take (e.g. I think my nailer takes 8 to 16mm - which is plenty for 3mm hardboard),and how easy they are to change (my nailer has never jammed,but the stapler/nailer sometimes does)
For light use,any of them on the market will be ok.(The usual "you get what you pay for" applies,of course.)
Rapesco are a quite well-known name,but from what I've read,they only take their own brand staples/nails,which seem to be more expensive than most others.

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew.
you've pointed me in the right direction.
Cheers
Stewart

I have a Rapesco staple gun and it's pretty dire. I also have a B&Q cordless 18v nail gun and it's not that bad as it does what I've wanted it to do so far ("...and hold it in place with a couple of brads").

I honestly think that the Rapesco should be classed as a sub-hobby jobby as you have to judge what pressure you need to sink the staples in by pushing the the stapler hard against the wood... too little and the staples don't sink into the wood... too much and you leave marks in the wood.

Thanks for the info about the Rapesco line - I probably would have believed the full page magazine adverts!
Having looked at other threads the lure of an air nail gun is pulling at me. Does anyone have any experience of this from screwfix: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101383&ts=63369&id=46620#, or any comments. I'm not only a nail gun novice but a compressor novice too! Would I need to buy anything else in addition to this kit before I could use it?
Thanks again!
Cheers
Stewart

Well, I bought an el cheapo B&Q portable compressor (with tank) and a the cheapest 18g pinner in the world some 4 years ago - the pinner lasted until 2 weeks ago (4 years and 140,000+ pins later) despite an almost complete lack of maintainance, except the odd bit of oil and the ocassional strip down (all air tools require this). The compressor is still humming away, so rather than take my good gun out on site I'm now considering this as a replacement on the grounds that a pinner and a compressor is cheaper than buying a low cost pinner on its own. I've seen the Rexon gun and it appears to be well finished, although I wouldn't buy the gun at £139 as I can get a new Senco or Bae pinner for £170 to £200 and they're far more trusted names. However, even the cheap guns are good enough for construction work and if you drain the compressor between sessions it will last years in intermittent use. Just don't expect the gun to last forever.

BTW I've had Bosch, AEG and Maestri electric pinners in the past and they don't hold a candle to even a cheap air pinner. Maestri do make superb air tools, though

Scrit

Hi Scrit
Thanks for the help - after posting about the Screwfix one I remembered Machine Mart, from whom I am yet to purchase anything. I saw the same deal you linked me to. If it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me :D
I'll order one today!
Thanks
Stewart

I've got a few pieces of B&Q power tools (bought before I knew about this forum) and generally they are tough little things. I have a sliding mitre saw (second hand), a circular saw, an 18v cordless hammer drill and the 18v nail gun. Other than the mitre saw's detents being off slightly I've not had any problems with them. The hammer drill has had a lot of work and abuse (lost count the number of times I've dropped it) and it still works as well as the day I bought it.

Hi Stewart

A couple of things you should consider adding - a 30ft straight air line with quick release couplers (PCL, CEJN or whatever is handiest) at each end (the gun probably has a PCL fitted). The "curly whirly" hose supplied with these units will probably drive you mental in short order! Another thing to do with all air tools is add either a flexible "knuckle joint" connector onto the gun, or a "pigtail" (12in hose with a fixed connector at the gun end and a male quick connector at the other end) in place of the standard connector. This reduces the stress on the entry port of the tool caused by coupling/uncoupling the tool from the air line (cracks can propogate from the port) and thereby prolongs the life of the tool.

Scrit

Thanks for the additional info, Scrit.
I almost ordered a straight airline at the same time but I also needed to buy different connectors - 4 according to the technical chap i spoke to on the phone. It began to push the cost up so I decided to leave it for a while and see how i get on with the curly line. But i expect it will prove a pain.
Not knowing anything about air tools I thought it might be better to take the gun and airline into a local shop and check what's available. I prefer to see before I buy. Still, if it arrives in time I might find something at Yandles as I'm going to my first show on Friday - finally a show that doesn't clash with a family commitment :D
Cheers
Stewart

stewart":whihiuw9 said:
Not knowing anything about air tools I thought it might be better to take the gun and airline into a local shop and check what's available. I prefer to see before I buy.
You'll probably find the outlet from the compressor is something like a 1/4in BSP male or possibly a 3/8in BSP male. So yes, you'll need a few connector bits, something like:

1/4in BSP female x PCL female
PCL male x 10mm i/d (inside diameter) hose (2 off)
hose crimp clips (4 off)
PCL female x 10mm i/d hose
1/4in BSPM x 10mm i/d hose

and some 10mm i/d air line. I'd suggest using PCL if you aren't going to have many air tools as PCL (it's a type of connector made in Sheffield and just about the standard in the car trade) is available just about everywhere air tools are sold. For higher throughflow (not necessary in this application) CEJN 310 (or equivalent) is a better bet, albeit much more difficult to find. I'd also suggest going for a braided air line (the ones with a criss-cross pattern) as they are more crush resistant and last longer. If you need more info, feel free to PM me

Scrit

I am glad this tread was started as I have a curly line and it is a pain ( it has the habit of pulling tools off my bench, just when I turn my back on it :evil: ( they are out to get you ).
So thanks to Scrit :) , I now know for sure what I will be getting on my next trip to Machine mart (Just around the corner from me :) )

In that case I'll add one other bit of advice. Whenever using air pinners on these small compressors which don't have built-in air supply lubricators or filters, add 2 or 3 drops of air tool oil to the tool via the open male connector at the start of any session and every 2 hours or so of usage. Alternatively get a small in-line oiler(goes in the air line), fill and forget. If you are away doing a job and you forget your oil 3-in-1 or even WD40 will do at a pinch, but add 2 to 3 drops of oil to the machine when you get back to the shop and fire the pinner half a dozen times to work the oil through.

Scrit

As scrit says I also have the B&Q compressor and nail gun about 4 years old still going strong. :D :D

But the bigger stores have a similar unit for £53 including nail gun and tyre inflator and blow gun etc. :wink:

Les

Took delivery today of the compressor/nailer/stapler from MachineMart today. Have only had a short play with it this evening but I'm hooked! Can't stop thinking up projects that will need lots of nailing or stapling. I ditched the curly air line straightaway - it was on its way to the bin when my son intercepted it and decided he would keep it for some reason! Can anyone fathom the 15 year old mind? :roll:
Thanks to all for the comments - and especially Scrit for the link to MachineMart.
Hope to bump into some of you at Yandles tomorrow.
Cheers
Stewart

stewart":2dlevn28 said:
Can't stop thinking up projects that will need lots of nailing or stapling.

Oh god... Don't watch Norm then!

"... and secure it with a coupla brads." KerchunK... KerchunK...

"... and secure it with some pin nails." KerchunK... KerchunK... KerchunK...

"... and a few brads will hold it in place while the glue dries." KerchunK... KerchunK... KerchunK... KerchunK... KerchunK... KerchunK... KerchunK...

Just remember to order your pallet load of brad nails in various sizes now before you start any projects.

All Hail The :norm:

That reminds me... I'm running out of space on my dvd hard drive... it's full of NYW that I've not watched or want to keep. I REALLY need to get around to saving the ones I want to keep onto DVD-R's.

Neomorph":2jc7zoi6 said:
That reminds me... I'm running out of space on my dvd hard drive... it's full of NYW that I've not watched or want to keep. I REALLY need to get around to saving the ones I want to keep onto DVD-R's.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing just the other day! :lol: Probably seen them all before anyway!

V.

The ones I like to keep are the ones with interesting construction methods like when he makes jigs (eg box joint jig that is used on the table saw but could be used more safely on the router table.

And just to add to the air tool thing I successfully stripped, lubricated and reassembled the chep air pinner last night. It had a bent safety pin (from being dropped on concrete one time too many, I suppose) which I'd missed last time. Anyway - it's working again..... So I'll have to wait a bit longer for a new 18g pinner.

Scrit

Back