Electric Guitar - How To ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spindle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'd like to build an electric guitar but at the moment have no idea where to start, could anyone recommend a good book or two that will explain the basics and steer me towards a finished article? I'm conversant with general woodwork, woodturning and metalwork and I'd like to end up with a fairly high quality instrument.

Thanks for reading Mick

Google Melvyn Hiscock, he has written pretty much the definitive text on diy electric guitar building. I've built about a dozen guitars based pretty much entirely on info from his book and the Internet.

Spindle":rpqom7av said:
Hi

I'd like to build an electric guitar but at the moment have no idea where to start, could anyone recommend a good book or two that will explain the basics and steer me towards a finished article? I'm conversant with general woodwork, woodturning and metalwork and I'd like to end up with a fairly high quality instrument.

Thanks for reading Mick

Seconded on Hiscock. Also check out Philly's (of Philly planes) blog. He's a woodworker, guitarist, guitar maker and planemaker.
He used to be a member of this forum until driven away.

BugBear

Spindle":hff6aage said:
Hi

Thanks for reading Mick

With the internet theres a wealth of material/forums on building:

Resources/supplies, etc

Build Your Guitar

Info/peoples builds, some plans etc

Project Guitar

TDPRI

Look in your local library for books.

Melvyn Hiscox - as mentioned

Martin Oakham - Build your own electric (with a Strat Plan)

Martin Koch - building electric guitars

Bob Benedetto - Jazz Guitars.

Leonardo Lospennato - Electric guitar and bass design

Then theres Youtube - this guys videos are a wealth of info:

Fletcher Guitars Australia

I'd recommend both the Hiscock and Koch books, Benedetto is good but assumes a lot of knowledge, the MIMF is a USA forum full of very talented and approachable luthiers only too willing to divulge advice.
Along with Phillys blog, I've detailed a couple of electric builds on here, and whilst nowhere near a tutorial (heck, I'm only on two electric self builds in total!) there are several pitfalls I've encountered and mentioned.
Crimson Guitars has a series of YouTube videos explaining different parts of the process, and Rob O'Brien has an excellent set of video tutorials (both paid for and some free) for acoustic, classical or electric instruments.

Good luck,
Adam

Thanks All

Plenty of guidance and food for thought there :D

It's ironic that I bought my son the Hiscock book last Christmas, before it went out of print and the price escalated - must get it back for a PDF session :wink:

I hope to be visiting the States, (Philadelphia), later this year so will probably have a shopping list by then.

Regards Mick

Spindle":2mw2g882 said:
Thanks All

It's ironic that I bought my son the Hiscock book last Christmas, before it went out of print and the price escalated - must get it back for a PDF session :wink:

Plenty of reasomably priced s/h copies on bookinder, if you want to stay legal.

BugBear

If you haven't visited StewMacs website already, then do so. It's worse than axminster for suggesting purchases whilst browsing ;)
LMII is possibly a better online source, and a less 'commercial' enterprise. You will often find their folk replying on the MIMF fora, whereas I've not noticed that from StewMac.
There are a few UK sources, but none as comprehensive or easy to navigate as their North American counterparts.

Cheers,
Adam

P.s. And as a follow on to BBs comment, Melvyn had a chat on MIMF about such things and his feelings are plain and very understandable for someone publishing in a niche area.

Thanks again for the additional info - really helpful :D :D

Kalimna":8crbq8or said:
P.s. And as a follow on to BBs comment, Melvyn had a chat on MIMF about such things and his feelings are plain and very understandable for someone publishing in a niche area.

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't condone making PDF copies for distribution, however as I was the purchaser of the book I don't think I'm doing anything wrong in making an E copy for my own use - the alternative is to just borrow the book back for a few months.

Regards Mick

Fair comment - I'd let you have my copy, but I'll still be using it I fear. I do like his writing style - a description under a photo of an elephant 'Ivory in its natural habitat' or 'Rather than photos of me sanding, here's some nice scenery'. Sweet.

Cheers,
Adam

Spindle":1k5qtbgt said:
Thanks All

I hope to be visiting the States, (Philadelphia), later this year so will probably have a shopping list by then.

Regards Mick

Bob Pearman books has it listed for its normal price - UK based, excellent customer service and reliable as they come. Personally I'd phone him, which is what I do. He'll generally call back if he doesn't answer.

http://www.pearman-books.com/music-books.html

Stupid question - do you need to be able to play guitars in order to make good guitars? Playing has no interest for me, but woodworking and electronics has a lot of interest. :D

Andy

ajayre":3spuab3b said:
Stupid question - do you need to be able to play guitars in order to make good guitars? Playing has no interest for me, but woodworking and electronics has a lot of interest. :D

Andy

Hi Andy,, It"s a bit like do you need to know how to fly an aeroplane to build one?
I have rebuilt ( improved,, I hope ) some "electrics" for beginner players and for me the satisfaction was seeing and hearing other people make some really nice "sounds" through work I had done.

I started by buying and rebuilding some "wrecks" off ebay,,, it gave me some product knowledge of construction methods and a,hell a lot of people have trod this path before us.

I think that, in a nutshell, you would have to be able to play to make a decent guitar. Not necessarily play well, but you need to have a feel for string action, intonation, neck profile, and general sound of the thing to know when to adjust and when to leave well alone.
But if all you can knock out are three chords and a 12th fret melody, then you should be fine.

Cheers,
Adam

Kalimna":20smxm1p said:
I think that, in a nutshell, you would have to be able to play to make a decent guitar. Not necessarily play well, but you need to have a feel for string action, intonation, neck profile, and general sound of the thing to know when to adjust and when to leave well alone.
But if all you can knock out are three chords and a 12th fret melody, then you should be fine.

Cheers,
Adam

Hi Kalimna,, a lot of bands have made a hell of a career out of 3 chords and a 12th fret melody, and they didn"t live far from me.
Go ahead and build one, think of those who have gone before , have a "feel" for the things spoken about, and you might create something that is enjoyed.....

iNewbie":18s1dkws said:
Bob Pearman books has it listed for its normal price - UK based, excellent customer service and reliable as they come. Personally I'd phone him, which is what I do. He'll generally call back if he doesn't answer.

Thanks iNewbie

Book on it's way from Bob Pearman :D :D

Regards Mick

Joe - I certainly wasn't knocking the 3 chord players, far from it :) But I stand by my comments re guitar building. You could easily make a guitar by following a recipe, and it would work, but do do a good job, I think, needs some understanding, through experience, of how the finished product is supposed to work. And that goes for anything crafted by humans e.g. Surfboards, guitars, cakes, infill planes etc
Cheers
Adam

As a dabble of the old toe in the water;

Paul Balmer has a book on how to BUILD an electric guitar, essentially choosing and assembling mail order parts (including bodies and necks).

As with a cheap plane "some fettling" is required, but it's an interesting option. Probably a little "up" from putting a new (better!) pickup on an existing guitar, but a little "down" from a build from scratch approach.

http://www.musiconearth.co.uk/store/ind ... anual.html

Worth looking at, if only to make a reasoned decision to do something else.

BugBear

Kalimna":2nf44k4s said:
Joe - I certainly wasn't knocking the 3 chord players, far from it :) But I stand by my comments re guitar building. You could easily make a guitar by following a recipe, and it would work, but do do a good job, I think, needs some understanding, through experience, of how the finished product is supposed to work. And that goes for anything crafted by humans e.g. Surfboards, guitars, cakes, infill planes etc
Cheers
Adam

Hangs head in shame !
Hello Kalimna,, Mignal,, Baldhead,,
Just looked back on a thread of January this year,, "how to build an electric guitar",, All credit to you guys and your guitar skills and knowledge,, I am now going to creep back into my corner and be very very quiet. !!!
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,joe,,,,

I build, but can't play a tune, I know what a good guitar feels like and I can hear if the intonation etc us good or bad, my last commission sold for £1400 and the owner loves it.
Leo Fender also couldn't play, so I would have yo say playing isn't mandatory so long as you know what makes an instrument work.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Back