Electric Brad Nailer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Born2bye

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all

Can I have some advice please

I am brand new to woodworking and I would like to make a chest of drawers to place in my shed
I am looking for an Electric Brad Nailer to help me pin everything in place whilst the glue sets

Any suggestions please on which Electric Brad nailers would be good for general woodworking using Baltic plywood

Electric brad nailers are not up to much. Made the mistake of buying a Tacwise one once and it was rubbish. It didn't last long either before failing. You would be much better off investing in a small compressor and an air nailer.

Both dewalt and ryobi make highly rated brad nailers.

You might want to look at air powered guns

Bought a Aldidl electric nailer and that is pants, which to be fait to them is not the case with most of the tools I have bought there. Anyway, I would avoid that if they come up before you have one.

Terry.

Thank you everyone for your replies

I went for electric because I only have a small shed to work in but it looks like electric is no good
I will look around at the air option with a compressor and see what's available

The only decent mains electric brad guns I've found are by Maestri and Spotnails, and they run around the £200-mark; I have these and like them a lot as they're small, quiet and very easy to handle. But for around half cost of one of those you can get a small compressor and a cheap brad gun, with the room to move on to bigger nail guns and staplers, or other air tools as the need arises.

If you were thinking of cordless brad guns, be aware that they are physically pretty large, and generally a step up again in cost from mains-electric.

As others said, I'd avoid anything from tacwise - I've had a few and they were all pretty nasty; lesson learned...

HTH Pete

Lidl had some compressors on sale on Thursday for £79.99. It would be a good buy for you as you could add other air tools as you go along. Air tools are generally cheaper and more reliable then equivalent electric stuff.

If you're doing the occasional project in your shed then there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting an 8 to 12 oz hammer and banging home a few brads the old school way. The great thing about manual hammering is the fine control it gives you, with equipment costing less than a tenner you'll be able to decide if you want the brad absolutely level with the surface, sunk below the surface and to what degree (get an appropriately sized nail set), or sitting proud of the surface to be removed after the glue has set (get a pair of pincers), you can change the size of your brads on the fly, and there's zero maintenance or risk of breakdowns!

I have the £30 screfix/titan nailer... it does need a little bit of caressing to make it flush/hide the nails, but in general its not awful.... Granted this is very light DIY use, but its held the drawers I made together while the glue dried etc. Even made a quick fireworks launching station with it :lol:

custard":3drmfkgw said:
If you're doing the occasional project in your shed then there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting an 8 to 12 oz hammer and banging home a few brads the old school way. The great thing about manual hammering is the fine control it gives you, with equipment costing less than a tenner you'll be able to decide if you want the brad absolutely level with the surface, sunk below the surface and to what degree (get an appropriately sized nail set), or sitting proud of the surface to be removed after the glue has set (get a pair of pincers), you can change the size of your brads on the fly, and there's zero maintenance or risk of breakdowns!

Good point that. An 8oz Warrington hammer and 40mm panel pins is a cheap and reliable option.

Thanks for all your replies, I think the hammer will work well until I've got some spare cash for the air option

Back