Electric advice urgently required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Start by checking the fuse box, if you have a modern fuse box with mcb switches
There are three switches and three sets of lights, only one set has failed and therefore there has to be power to that switch. First point of call would be to check the link in the switch that supplies power to all three switchs, might be broken through overtightened screw or over twisted wires. Then you now only have two possible reasons for them not working, first check is the switch itself as easy to get to or the circuit to the lights. With all three not working on that light fitting you can discount the wiring in the light but check the connections in the ceiling rose, not so easy to get to as a pensioner.

Hello,
If you have 12v halogen sparkly lights there will be a transformer somewhere in the circuit usually up in the ceiling void. If it is found this could be the problem and will need to be replaced. The transformer is rated depending on the total wattage of the lights involved. If it has failed it could be that the bulbs have been incorrectly replaced with higher wattage bulbs and strained the transformer and hence blow. When replacing it check this all out, add up the wattage of all the bulbs and get correct transformer. There could be more than one transformer. Get a good quality transformer from someone like TLC

I am afraid that I do not recomend a "mains testing screwdriver" is used in testing. They are potentially dangerous and unreliable. There are loads of non-contact testers available, which will test safely. U-tuber John Ward has a thorough video on the pitfalls of these devices.

I am afraid that I do not recomend a "mains testing screwdriver" is used in testing. They are potentially dangerous and unreliable. There are loads of non-contact testers available, which will test safely. U-tuber John Ward has a thorough video on the pitfalls of these devices.
Hello,
Interesting that you should say or recommend this. I have been using one for around 35 years and my father and grandfather before that, and not had a problem.
Regards

I am afraid that I do not recomend a "mains testing screwdriver" is used in testing. They are potentially dangerous and unreliable.
They are rather micky mouse, early days I used a mains tester made by megger that was simply a low wattage incandescent bulb and two probes that was only suitable for 230 volt testing, for 400 volt we used Dvm's but the practice today is to use proper testers that come with a self test module so you can confirm your tester is working before using it to prove dead but the old bulb method must have been ok as I am still here !

Seascaper, I am not doubting you! I too have used one for years but....... the only thing between you and mains voltage is a resistor if that shorts or gets damaged then you directly have mains voltage at your finger tip. As electronics engineer I have survived many "belts" including 10,000 volts (radar set) and still have the scars on my knee after almost 60 years to proove it. As I am a little older and a little wiser I don't take unneccesary risks. There are safe probes out there which will protect you. The double probe is what I use. For a very full explanation have a look at John Ward's U-Tube video on the subject.

Seascaper, I am not doubting you! I too have used one for years but....... the only thing between you and mains voltage is a resistor if that shorts or gets damaged then you directly have mains voltage at your finger tip. As electronics engineer I have survived many "belts" including 10,000 volts (radar set) and still have the scars on my knee after almost 60 years to proove it. As I am a little older and a little wiser I don't take unneccesary risks. There are safe probes out there which will protect you. The double probe is what I use. For a very full explanation have a look at John Ward's U-Tube video on the subject.
This is the video referred to. Excellent (and close to complete) list of options for the home 'lecky'?

It used to be common practice, in high voltage, low current applications, to use multiple resistors in series, in case one went short-circuit.

Where is our man in Devon? can you not pop over the Tamar with your digger and help out? 🤣
Im here! Yes, i can pop round boxing day and dig the wall out 😆 if it still doesnt work i could 'remove' the lights with a 1' toothed bucket.... i might need to make a small hole in the wall to get the digger in though 👍

This is the video referred to. Excellent (and close to complete) list of options for the home 'lecky'?

That's a very interesting video and it certainly exposes the pitfalls of using the wrong equipment or the right equipment wrongly.

I admit to nearly always using a multi-meter but I like to think that I know how to use it properly and safely.

Back