Edinburgh/West Lothian/Fife Woodturning Club

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told that the Broxburn club is at its maximum capaciy. It does not want or need any new members. That is one of the reasons why they turned down the offer of a stand at the show in Ingliston.

i must admit i have only read snippets of info so dont blame me if its already been said.
George has mentioned he started a club a few months ago which is fine, he's a pro turner who has something in his favour towards encouraging less experienced turners to join up, but you dont have that(yet) and i was wondering what it was you were going to offer wouldbe turners, otherwise it could be the blind leading the blind.
Please take this how it was intended, just a question..
:lol: :lol:

Hi Steve,

Initially, my intentions are to see if there is even enough interest to start a club in my area.

Although I am new to this world I believe I have lots to offer a new club and it's members.

I have the knowledge and skills to deal with all of the administration, IT skills, communication, working relationships, and community commitment. I have the time, enthusiasm and smarts to deal with the entire process in a professional and commited manner.

I can also offer more immediate things like a lathe, wood supplies, tools, chucks, faceplates etc. I also have the necessary funds to support the rental of a small premises for 6 months if I need to.

I have already started to make good contacts with the AWGB and I also intend to run a small add in the Queensferry Gazzette, who's offices I will be visiting soon. I have made contacts with 3 local Churches, and will be approaching our local councellor in the coming weeks.

In terms of turning, I think what I can offer is a natural, creative artistic approach to turning. Possibly something that other turners in my area have limited experience of. I also believe that with my capacity for learning I am able to soak up the knowledge from others and put this into practice quickly.

Furthermore, I have few contacts who are prepared to supply various cleaning products etc. for the general up keep of any potential club.

Maybe I'm being a bit nieve, but you don't get anywhere without trying, right? So that's all I'm doing at this stage. I will be in a better position to assess if a club is viable in this area in the coming months.

Do I get the job?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Lee.

skeetoids":3bo3uz4a said:
Hi Steve,

Initially, my intentions are to see if there is even enough interest to start a club in my area.

Although I am new to this world I believe I have lots to offer a new club and it's members.

I have the knowledge and skills to deal with all of the administration, IT skills, communication, working relationships, and community commitment. I have the time, enthusiasm and smarts to deal with the entire process in a professional and commited manner.

I can also offer more immediate things like a lathe, wood supplies, tools, chucks, faceplates etc. I also have the necessary funds to support the rental of a small premises for 6 months if I need to.

I have already started to make good contacts with the AWGB and I also intend to run a small add in the Queensferry Gazzette, who's offices I will be visiting soon. I have made contacts with 3 local Churches, and will be approaching our local councellor in the coming weeks.

In terms of turning, I think what I can offer is a natural, creative artistic approach to turning. Possibly something that other turners in my area have limited experience of. I also believe that with my capacity for learning I am able to soak up the knowledge from others and put this into practice quickly.

Furthermore, I have few contacts who are prepared to supply various cleaning products etc. for the general up keep of any potential club.

Maybe I'm being a bit nieve, but you don't get anywhere without trying, right? So that's all I'm doing at this stage. I will be in a better position to assess if a club is viable in this area in the coming months.

Do I get the job?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Lee.

seems like a plan to me lee -

Personally I'd rather have a club where people are of relatively equal skill level and get together for mutual support and joint learning than a club run by a proffesional turner surrounded by his adoring acolytes (no offence to george intended in that observation)., and I agree with you that the skills you posses in administration and financial support outweigh turning expertise

If the club needs expert tuition in a particular skill you can always jointly pay for a tutor to come in for a one off session

btw I'm applying for a job in angus (Brechin Castle) so if i get that I might be in touch in a few months ;)

Hi Moose.

No offense taken.
We have three full time pro's in our club which is an advantage to the newcomers and more experianced turners as we run our club mostly as hands on.
We also run workshops to help the less experianced turners which is proving to be a great success.
I agree with you that as long as you are all like minded and support each other you can all benifit.
The chances are that as the club developes experianced turners will join up anyway.

Regards George

George Foweraker":2y3krrj5 said:
Hi Moose.

No offense taken.
We have three full time pro's in our club which is an advantage to the newcomers and more experianced turners as we run our club mostly as hands on.
We also run workshops to help the less experianced turners which is proving to be a great success.
I agree with you that as long as you are all like minded and support each other you can all benifit.
The chances are that as the club developes experianced turners will join up anyway.

Regards George

sure thing george - I wasnt thinking of your club as an example of what i was saying , but I have had the misfortune to encounter some clubs where the experienced turners and or long term members are the "big I am" and the newer people are treated like second class citizens - at one such specimen at such a club told me that until I bought a propper lathe ( I have a axminster AVBSL1200 what he meant was that I didnt have a VB36 like he had) I was wasting my time turning, pillock

the core of what i was saying is that having relatively little experience need not be a bar to lee setting up a club.

Hope you get the job, BSM - what's attracting a Moose to Brechin Castle ? That's not part of the country I know but I see it on occasions on the batter up to Aberdeen and it all looks very nice round there.

Rob

country park managers job

The project I currently work for is natural england funded so although nothing is definite yet we can feel an axe hovering over our budget due to the govt spending cuts and quango chopping

Sounds good, BSM - all the best with the interviews etc. Should be plenty of fodder for you - fallen trees I mean of course!! :D

Rob

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to track this thread for a purpose so would appreciate it if you could PM each other about off topic subjects. :)

Oldwood, did you see my response about Broxburn and also AndieLowes? Seems like the Borxburn Club is fit to bursting! :lol:

Cheers,

Lee.

Hi Folks,

Just thought I'd let you know that I am still progressing with this idea.

A great little article ran in the Queensferry Gazette on Friday and is slowly generating responses.

Joining the AWGB too and they will mailshot the members in my area for interested parties.

Updates to follow as and when they are available.

cheers,

Lee.

Hi

I have been reading through this thread and responded to the article in Queensferry Gazette.

Just to correct the comment on Broxburn Woodcraft Club. They are by no means full. In fact they are looking for new members at the moment. There is also a special deal to encourage people to come along - no membership fees for the rest of the year. Details are on their website
I am interested to know how things are progressing, as I live in Queensferry.

Regards

Graham

Hi Graham,

I only have 5 replies in total.

One of which is from a member from the Broxburn club.

As you know, Broxburn is only up the road from us here so I am going to look into this club first as it may be worth while joining this one.

Cheers,

Lee.

Hi Lee,

I`d be interested, if you take your original idea any further.
I`m in Kirkcaldy, which as you`ll know, isn`t too far from S Queensferry.

Ian

Hi,

A note for those who have shown interest in this idea.

I am attending the Broxburn club tommorow evening at 7pm'ish and wanted to let you know that you would also be made welcome should you wish to attend.

The address is Strathbrock Partnership Centre, 189 (a) West Main Street, Broxburn EH52 5LH. Entrance is via the community wing, half way along the building. If you ask on reception, they will point you to the workshop.

I have spoken with Graham here on the forums who is a member and had a telephone call with Adam Davies the Chairman.

Hopefully you can make it as it would be nice to meet you all.

Cheers,

Lee.

Hi Lee

I went along to the club yesterday evening. I now see that you are going tomorrow. Adam normally attends on a Wednesday evening. I will leave you in his capable hands.

Regards

Graham

Back