Edinburgh/West Lothian/Fife Woodturning Club

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeetoids

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

This post is really intended for all those Scottish turners living in and around Edinburgh and also outlying areas but anyone is welcome).

I would like to propose that we consider the prospect of setting up our own woodturning club.

I, along with many others, have struggled to find any clubs in my area or any close enough and think that a possible solution is for us to create one of our own.

Maybe this is a nieve suggestion as I don't know what is required to set it up but surely the starting point is here...?

Perhaps if you are interested then please post here with suggestions as to how we could make a turning club a reality.

Cheers,

Lee.

Hi Lee,

I can't help you in terms of how to go about setting up a club, but would just like to say that being a member of a club has been an invaluable aid to me as a "trainee turner", and I would strongly recommend it to anyone.

I hope it turns out for you #-o

Malc :D

P.S. Do you still need a passport to visit Scotland? :duno:

skeetoids":9h7d7a0o said:
Hi Folks,

This post is really intended for all those Scottish turners living in and around Edinburgh and also outlying areas but anyone is welcome).

I would like to propose that we consider the prospect of setting up our own woodturning club.

I, along with many others, have struggled to find any clubs in my area or any close enough and think that a possible solution is for us to create one of our own.

Maybe this is a nieve suggestion as I don't know what is required to set it up but surely the starting point is here...?

Perhaps if you are interested then please post here with suggestions as to how we could make a turning club a reality.

Cheers,

Lee.

Lee , if you get in touch with the AWGB , and tell them you are looking at setting up a Club , they will help and put you on the AWGB list , they also deal with insurance issues , Have a look at the link and contact details

http://www.woodturners.co.uk/

Hope this helps in some way

and I also hope you get this off the ground soon :wink:

Malc,

You only need a passport to get out!!! :lol:

Blister,

I have checked AWGB forum and was able to find a club in Glasgow. However, I think a more local one would suit a lot of the turners in the Fife and West Lothian area.

Didn't think to approach them to make initial enquiries so thanks very much for the heads up.

I'm hoping that a lot of the relevant people will read this thread and commit to the idea. That's the first stage I think in knowing if it's going to be viable or not.

I feel it would be of great benefit and as Malc says, anyone I have met who is in a club speeks very highly of the benefits.

Time will tell?

Cheers,

Lee.

Hi Lee.

Setting up a club is easy.
You need at least three members Chairman Secretary Treasurer and a constitution.
When you have that sorted you have a club.
Then you need a suitable venue bearing in mind you will need room to expand.
You will find the AWGB is very supportive .
If you need an constitution when you are ready let me know and i will PM you our club Constitution.
Good luck and if you need any help let me know.

Regards George

Lee,

Ensure you get some insurance, either directly - or via cover under an affiliation with the AWGB or similar body.

For affiliation your members might have to be also AWGB members - not sure how its works over there - but over here Chapter members have to be IWG members, that way the insurance covers them.

You'll have to cost up this probable annual cost for members, with costs for premise's rental ( if you plan to do this ) - plus extras such as materials for demonstrators, equipment, demonstrator costs ( we like to get pros in to demo - but sometimes we get members to demo ), tea and coffe and biscuits etc.

Its nice to have a club library also - talk to KPMG - Karl might give you a discount on DVD's.

Do you have a premese's in mind ?

Most Chapters over here have a premise's, but a few just move to each others workshops for demos.

Ensure your secretary and treasurer will do the job - people do volunteer when you start, but keeping them on board is hard.

I've been sec since we started ( im ass sec on the IWG now also ) - and I've seen 3 treasurers come and go, People like to avoid responsibility for money. But you need a good one - as you'll more than likely have to provide a report for the AWGB AGM if you affiliate.

I see George recommended a constitution - we don't have one over here, Nor i understand do other chapters, - we tend not to require strict rules for members, apart from pay up on time as we have to then pay the IWG . - but we have few issues with members - but then this is Ireland.

Again - need any help, shout.

Laurence

Thank you very much for the advice and offers of assistance.

Although, at this rate it's going to be Lee's Turning Club with me as Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great idea Lee.
I thought about doing this sort of thing here in Brum,as there is no localish clubs here either.
Try changing your heading to Scottish,or whatever area your thinking of.You might get some more of the locals looking in more :?
Also try advertising it in the local shops to see what response you get.

im not sure how good your local media is, but when ever some kind of new club opens doors, a little artical gets put in the local papers.

I too am fairly new to woodturning and at some point I'll post a picture of my 4-identical-egg-cups-in-elm project which are 4 different sizes and all unique!

I know that there is some activity at Broxburn:

"BROXBURN WOODCRAFT CLUB: The club holds sessions every morning and evening in the Strathbrock Community Centre covering a variety of wood working skills, eg turning, craft and hobbies, walking stick making and musical instrument making. New members (experienced or beginner) would be made welcome. Anyone interested should drop in for an informal chat."

But I haven't had a look yet. I work, so mornings are out for me, might be a starting point.

As to insurance, I can see that would be needed if demonstrations or hardware were involved but that's a bit cart before horse at the moment I would say!

Count me in if you go any further! I'm East Calder direction btw.

I reckon the best way to start would be to get a few interested lads and lasses together and go and visit a club in the west to see what they do. Maybe stick a notice up in the 2 /3 turning supplies premises (Ayr, Reids in Glasgow, Lanarkshire Hardwoods etc.). Lothian turners must go there sometimes.

Failing that there must be an un-used telephone box somewhere near a pub we could use! :)

Ralph

loz":fsccrujc said:
Lee,

I see George recommended a constitution - we don't have one over here, Nor i understand do other chapters, - we tend not to require strict rules for members, apart from pay up on time as we have to then pay the IWG . - but we have few issues with members - but then this is Ireland.
Laurence

I do not know what a chapter is but i do know you cannot have a club without a constitution.

But as Loz said that is Ireland. :lol:

Regards George

George Foweraker":1gugpfmy said:
loz":1gugpfmy said:
Lee,

Laurence

I do not know what a chapter is but i do know you cannot have a club without a constitution.

Regards George

Hi George - I mislead - The IWG has a constiution - and the Chapters are subject to that constitution - they do not however have a local constitution, they would normally have a loose set of guildlines regarding costs/processes etc, most of these not requiring a local AGM to amend.

ps - A Chapter is a subdivision of a Guild. The IWG is broken down into Chapters.

pps - just something I'm proud of - the IWG is the oldest Woodturning Guild in the world, with My Chapter the newest Chapter. - We just had our 27th National Seminar.

Hi Ralph,

I think what is a good way forward is to get a group together who want to commit to the idea of setting up a club.

So, you and me are in so far!

If we get a minimum of 3 committed individuals then we can start to discuss how we move from this to developing the club.

Perhaps we can discuss what facilites each of us has, would anyone have the space or facilities to host the club, how many lathes, would we need to rent premises etc.

Once we get a group together we can really start to discuss all the details and eventually appraoch the AWGB with a full proposal for the club.

Early days yet but I think we have the power to make this happen and I am definately commited.

I know about the Broxburn club, but after investigation it seems to meet fairly infrequently, and is more on a loose hobby basis so to speak.

Cheers,

Lee.

Thank George for mentioning the constiution -

From the AWGB handbook.

10 To encourage the formation of local area Woodturning Branches by providingsuitable assistance and financial help.

George Foweraker":1bgjqkw1 said:
loz":1bgjqkw1 said:
Lee,

Laurence

Regards George

George

If you're in GB & NI we live in an entire country governed without a constitution (a written one anyway)!! I still think it's going a bit far until there are at least 3 of us though. Financial help from the AWGB sounds good - would it run to beer?

Hi Rhalf.

Please read my comment again i said to create a club which is what Lee said he was looking to do you would need at least three members.
And as i said a club has to have a constitution.
If you do not have a proper constitution and membership you are just having a get together but if you try to open a bank account the bank will want to see your constitution.

Regards George

If you contact the AWGB they can provide a sample club constitution as a starting point. That's what our club did (although the membership have since voted to amend this a few times so it better reflects the way our club works).

You'll also need to find an auditor to audit the club accounts annually. I think we may have got pointers to a suitable auditor from the AWGB as well.

If your club affiliates with the AWGB, all club members do have to be AWGB members - in effect joining your club means they are also members of the AWGB.

To follow on from Georges Bank advice,

We had real problems trying to get an account for a Chapter, we had to get a bank up north to do it for us. We have been with them almost 2 years now - and they have just told us they are no longer accepting cash deposits !!

Pain in the ass - we have to start again.

Back