Edge Clamping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freetochat

Established Member
Reaction score
I am needing edge clamps for applying face frames to MFC cabinets. I saw these and looking for information as to how well they work. I have tried some others, and found that they slip on the MFC sides.

Thanks

Those bessey clamps are excellent, I have lots of accounts using them and think they are one of the better edge clamping solutions around. They are expensive and you should be paying around £32.00 each for them.

Roger Sinden":2yqn5ddx said:
or maybe try sandwiching a bit of that router mat between the jaws? Had a similar problem with the Trend cutting guide.

Thanks Roger Good Idea, I'll give it a go before spending.

I have two of those Bessey (EKT-55) clamps, but have only used them when glueing biscuited lippings onto birch ply. They are surprisingly good at clamping, partly because they have a (silicone?) rubber pad under each of the gripping jaws which I found reasonably slip-proof. I found that, if I wanted them to grip very firmly, I needed to press relatively hard on the handle to engage the gripping pads well, before the edging part of the clamp's screw operates. I know that last sentence sounds a bit confusing but, they have an interesting dual concentric screw mechanism which supports the "one-handed" claim.

I have not tried these on MFC (which, as an amateur, I can choose to only use "under protest"!)

The body is made from some sort of alloy (I suspect a magnesium alloy from its weight) so they are relatively lightweight and this tends to NOT distort the work.

It is worthwhile shopping around for "best price" because Bessey prices do seem to vary a lot.

I also have two of the VERY heavy duty edge clamps (KT 8-3) which are very strong and also very heavy - so will tend to make work sag under the weight.

Both of these have done a competent job for me (when I remember to use the right one for the job!)

In contrast I also have the dual screw units (KT 5-2) which fit onto the Bessey F-clamps, but for me these tended to make the F-clamp pull out of its plastic boot before any serious clamping force is produced, so they are more of a dust-gathering curiosity for me at present. I will probably find a good use for them some time, but maybe not so soon.

The Rutlands one looks like one made by "Gross-Stabil" (which I have not used), but it may be a copy carrying their "Dakota" brand.

Simon

hello all at the forum,its my first post here but i spend hours on here, just to let you know that there is some new ones on ebay £31.50 + £4.75 postage. by the way this is a great site :eek:ccasion5:

If your looking to clamp a frame on a unit you probably want about 8 of them that works out at about £200 min, gulp, thats an expensive way of doing it. Hoewever if you have sash clamps just buscuit the frames on and clamp from the back of the carcase to the front of the frame.

If you don't have 10 sash clamps, in my personal opinion you would be better off buying 10 sashes than having 10 edge clamps, a record 42" sash clamp will cost about £25 if you shop around.

Thats the way i do all my kitchen carcases, and it works well.

Freetochat I looked at these clamps but desided I could not justify spending this amount money. Rogers suggestion is more realistic
Barry

Back