Eclipse Magnetic Block - Won't rotate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinsella

Established Member
Reaction score
Chaps
I've picked up two of these magnetic blocks, but neither work. I have no idea how long its been sitting in its box unused. But I cannot rotate the lever to use. Anyone any ideas? can it have rusted up internally or has anyone experience of similar problem. I don't want to take brute force and ignorance to it. I have two, one turns freely but does not magnetise, the other doesn't rotate at all. Penetrating oil??

i don't know much about them. I assume that by rotating, the magnetic force is neutralised by the poles been equalised or something similar.

Attachments

• IMG_8596_resize.JPG
    IMG_8596_resize.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 1,371
  • IMG_8597_resize.JPG
    IMG_8597_resize.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 1,371
I have one and its quite stiff to turn
I would imagine your seized one is rusted internally
and your free one...is the knob just rotating or does it look like the shaft is turning too?

Ian

Thanks for reply Ian
I think the free only turns the knob. What do you suggest, soak in penetrating oil ? and keep rocking pressure back and fourth. Or are they knackered as soon as they seize. I think i'll take the knob off the free one and put a vice grips on it and see if i can rock it back or fourth.
What are the two soldered bits you can see on the pic. As my free one, looks like the knob was turn fully around and sheered off one of them.

Have you tried removing those four screws on the front plate? On one of my mag stands the front cover holds everything in place so you just need to remove the screws to take it apart.

Forgot to add, still very useful as Vee blocks even if the mags don't work.

Of the four slots, two have screws and the other two look like they are sealed with solder or something. So no luck there i'm afraid.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,290
I'm guessing once you get that cover off all will be revealed. Must admit I'd be dubious about unsoldering those fixings but maybe that's the only way. If Eclipse are still around maybe you could ask them?

woodpig":1v0tramy said:
I'm guessing once you get that cover off all will be revealed. Must admit I'd be dubious about unsoldering those fixings but maybe that's the only way. If Eclipse are still around maybe you could ask them?

Good point, nothing to lose by giving them an email or a call.

I have un-gummed a few magnetic bases by removing the plate and cleaning the grease out, most of them where riveted on.

Pete

Racers":3lnprw6m said:
I have un-gummed a few magnetic bases by removing the plate and cleaning the grease out, most of them where riveted on.

Pete

i think the only route now is to take a destructive investigation to them. Worst case is they are decent V block if it all goes wrong.

I think Ian's warning not to separate the magnets is quite likely to be right. It certainly applies to the permanent magnets inside old bicycle dynamos.

Back