Ebay selling advice required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davem62

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm selling a 2 draw snap on tool box on said site, collection only. Some people have enquired about having there own courier collect it.If it got damaged in transit, is it their responsibility, and so couldn't make a claim against me to eBay
many thanks david

Yeah you'd be fine. Just make sure to say in your messages that you can take no responsibility for damage in transit so it's there in writing before they agree.

Unless they claim it never arrived and get paypal to refund them, cash on collection is best.

Pete

In my experience it's much easier to organise delivery yourself and charge the buyer accordingly. If the buyer arranges transport, then you've still got to arrange packing if appropriate, the buyer has to send you labelling and the buyer/courier has to agree the collection time with you. This sort of arrangement puts potential buyers off. Much better to offer delivery and include the costs in your advert. I sold my last item very quickly as a Buy-it-now with postage include and I got a very reasonable price for it.

I would recommend facebook groups instead, my experience has been far better than ebay, a lot of things sell very fast, ebay seems to be more about cheaper low quality items thesedays, which wasn't the case when it first started, they also favour business sellers and rig their SEO so your items are virtually invisible deliberately if you are a private seller, it feels like a different website compared to the early days.

What worries me if i arrange delivery if it gets damaged or lost? i think its my responsibility but if they organise it the claim would have to be made by them and they claim against courier not me
think it will easier to sell pick up only,

Facebook although registered by a friend , i wouldn't know how to post
thanks for the advice david

I got caught like this once.

It was a largish second hand pet food container that I stated collection only.

It was won for the princely sum of £2.65!

I then received a message from the winning bidder that he would send a courier, but could I wrap it up in black bin liners and tape otherwise the courier wouldn't accept it.

Being the tolerant sort of guy that I can be on a good day, I did just that.

The buyer then advised me later, the day that the courier would pick up, but of course no specific time as he wasn't prepared to pay extra for that.

Mr Nice Guy (me) said OK, I happened to be at home all that day anyway.

The courier arrived to pick up and then gave me grief as he thought there should be bubble wrap and I had to agree that if it
arrived damaged I would be responsible.

You know what? For £2.65 I thought I would just risk it.

And it did arrive OK.

But never again. For crying out loud, we're just clearing stuff at a knockdown price and as the seller, we specify the conditions we are prepared to sell, not
the bloody buyer.

if its not easily and cheaply postable I dont post or courier it! Its more trouble than its worth messing around with that as usually the buyer gets the item dead cheap and you're the one doing all the work so they can get a bargain dropped on to their doorstep...

edit
just read geoffs post , that just about sums up bloody ebay!!!

I used to run a business with many sales on eBay
My advice is simple. A snap on tool box will attract interested from many people some genuine some not, if you sell to a non genuine buyer and the delivery is by coruier who ever arranged it you will be responsible for it's condition on arrival eBay will not know wether or not it was already damaged before you sent it and will therefore side with your buyer.
You will get enough interest in it from genuine buyers who will collect it from you and pay cash job done just hold your nerve and stick to your terms of sale.

Back