earring stand to make

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
I work with a lot of very nice ladies and I have told them how much I enjoy wood turning.
Lunch time one said they would like me to make them an earring stand.
This is the bad bit, two more said they wonted one as well.
Has anyone done a stand and how easy is it, what wood do I use, how do I do it?
Help please.
I am of to Yandles tomorrow to get some wood, if that helps.

Or, for a simpler look, have seen a mushroom style with a particularly large top which is then drilled with small holes around the perimeter of the top to take the earrings.

Looks particularly good made from yew branch due to the contrast between heart and sap wood and the high polish it will take.

Might be best to talk some more with the ladies and see what they are envisaging as they might have a pretty clear idea in their minds already and might prove awkward if you come up with something too different ?

Cheers, Paul. :D

Here's a picture of one, I didn't make this one but they are fairly easy. Hardest bit would be getting the holes around the edge neat. The mushroom version sounds good.

I think there's one in Keith Rowley's Project book...

it is every bit as good as his 'Foundation' book :!:

oldsoke":19cfphuj said:
I think there's one in Keith Rowley's Project book...

it is every bit as good as his 'Foundation' book :!:

I hadn't heard of that one, must keep my eyes open for it.

Pete

Hi Pete, just checked amazon for Keith Rowley's Woodturning Projects ...ridiculous price!

£15.95 when new, best check the library :wink:

oldsoke":xgtp2v47 said:
Hi Pete, just checked amazon for Keith Rowley's Woodturning Projects ...ridiculous price!

£15.95 when new, best check the library :wink:

It's a good ten miles to the nearest library so I'll keep my eyes open on Amazon and ebay for a second hand copy

Pete

Talking of books and off subject here,but thought it worth a mention is Turning Green Wood.By Michael O'Donnel,which i received yesterday.
Very good book me thinks.Explains in detail a lot about Green wood and turning it.Very useful if your into Green wood.Obviously :shock:
Paul.J.

I can only offer one bit of advice when making an earring stand, and I only know this because a very well known turner and good friend gave us one for our display... it was ideal for our purposes but one he couldn't sell because he'd made a mistake when drilling the holes for the earrings to go into and had made an odd number of holes!
Some simple but important planning required I think to make sure the holes are farily equi-distant and they are in pairs!

Well that's just sexist Terry... What if the stand is for a bloke???

:whistle: :D

Or, like my wife, has lost one of a pair! She keeps it in case the lost one turns up somewhere. Fat chance, as it was down on the riverbank somewhere........

Oh thanks for all the help, guess what, I had seen it some ware and have been scouring through all the books I have looked at, then, Bob said look in the April issue of Woodworker & Woodturner .
Do you know what year?but it wont take long to look through all April issues.
I can get my hands on the last 3 years, but must add they are not mine.
Thanks all again, I got more wood to day from Yandles, it was a bit of a rush as I had to drop the cat of at the vets first, go to uncle Berts funeral, drive 98 miles one way, return for cat, will be glad to go to work tomorrow.
Sorry for rabbiting on.
Like the bit from Nick.
Will order Turning Green Wood.By Michael O'Donnel, if we stock it Paul.

I bought the book on green turning 3 years ago and it is really a good book which was for me to start in woodturning....great projects, easy to understand and well explained on how to make it.

Really a recommendation for every one.

Danny

Back