Ear defenders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to use some £10 screwfix ones - they worked fine but were a nuisance to wear with safety glasses.

I recently got some isotunes Xtra 2.0. Link. Really pleased with them, would buy again if they broke!
Most ear defenders are simply 'mufflers' and for the most part, work well enough.

However, given that the isotunes ones are battery powered, although their blurb doesn't say so, I imagine that they could be noise-cancelling ones, rather like noise cancelling headphones, which were originally created for airplane pilots to improve their comfort on long flights and are now widely used by music enthusiasts.

The technology, known as 'active noise-cancellation' (ANC), works by using microphones to pick up low-frequency noise and neutralise it before it reaches the ear. The headset generates a sound that’s phase-inverted by 180 degrees to the unwanted noise, resulting in the two sounds cancelling each other out. Same technology is used in industry to attenuate noise from machinery.

I have a pair of noise-cancelling ear defenders which have a built-in FM radio (which can be off or on). If I'm going to mow the lawn and put them on, I can still hear birds singing, but the moment I start the petrol lawn-mover, the noise cancelling kicks in. (They were given to me by someone who worked in a local factory).

Another vote for Peltor ones. I have the generic army surplus ones I use in the workshop or mowing the lawn and also the noise-cancelling version (about £160) when I need to be able to talk/hear others in a noisy environment.
If you really need to deaden the sound, you can use foam ear plugs too.
One advantage of the over ear type I’ve been told about is they also protect the bones around/just behind the ear which also play a part in your hearing.

I recently started using Senna WorkPro earbuds. They filter our the machine noises but I can still hear the things I want. Bit strange at first but use them daily now. About 20 euros a pair with a handy case.

Apart from the isotunes, are there any other in-ear ear defenders with Bluetooth? Or should I just use my airpods pro? 😁

By the way, as over ear protection I have the yellow peltor from 3M. I would never use them at the range, but they’re great for the workshop as they’re so light.

Hi,

I tried a few makes and models including some 3M and other brands.
For me personally, I found that that JSP Sonis® High Protection Ear Defenders SNR 37 were the best for me and certainly outperformed the other models in sound performance and comfort that I tested. They are slightly larger than most so stick out more but I am 100% happy with them and impressed overall.

I purchased them from Axminster:

https://www.axminstertools.com/jsp-sonis-high-protection-ear-defenders-snr-37-103933

In a conversation about ear defenders I should mention the Sony 1000xm5 or xm4 over ear headphones. They're definitely not inexpensive but probably the most efficient noise cancelling bins around.
Bluetooth, so you can listen to the Archers or answer phone calls with the noisiest machines running, I often wear them all day long and they're very comfortable.
I wouldn't be without them.

Recommend me some, not too dear, ear defenders to combat my very noisy dust extractor please.

I've built a sound box today out of 18mm OSB board and lined the inside with 25mm insulation board and cut a circle for the suction pipe. It's reduced a lot of the noise but not the ear splitting whine. . Where I am, I'm not in a situation where I can put it outside so I guess the only option is to wear ear defenders.

Appreciate any help or advice thanks.
Sapper, try your local gun shop they will have a selection, Oh! and don't be tight on the price, hearing once damaged cannot be fixed ! Plus as someone mentioned hearing aids are enormously expensive !
Regarding hearing muffs as with many things you pays your price and price to some extent it dictates the efficiency of the product.

Hearing aids are very expensive.
And don't I know it!:(
And they're also a darned fiddly nuisance. I don't know the protection brands in the preceeding posts but buy the best you can.
Once your hearing is gone it ain't never coming back.

+1 for 3M PELTOR Optime III - very comfortable and very effective/ I've had mine foe a few years now and they are just as effective and very hard wearing.
Plus another one. These are very good and other than when it’s very hot you can wear them for long periods. The only thing I would say is you can listen to the radio so I may look for some Bluetooth ones at some point

Plus another one. These are very good and other than when it’s very hot you can wear them for long periods. The only thing I would say is you can listen to the radio so I may look for some Bluetooth ones at some point
Till I just had a quick look and saw the price of Bluetooth Peltor!!!

Another vote for the 3M PELTOR Optime III. I have the clip-on version for my 3M Versaflo helmet and they're much better than the ones I have for the Trend Airshield Pro, and also better than other over the head ear defenders I own (can't remember the brand).

Mmm see what you mean, don't suppose it's possible to slip some ordinary ear buds from the radio under the defenders is it?
I sometimes wear my Bluetooth earbuds under my peltors. Not a perfect fit but it can be done

Something to keep in mind when using ear buds inside ear muffs. The muffs drop the noise to levels that protect your hearing and then you add the sound from the buds on top. It isn't the same as using the buds in a quiet room. The muffs drop a particular shop noise say 100 Db by say 29Db to 71Db which is safe and then you add 10 DB to hear the music (probably more) and you are up to 81Db which is damaging to your hearing over a longer term. You are defeating the protection somewhat. It is much the same as having to turn the radio up when you go from 30KPH to 100KPH to hear it again. With noise canceling headphones and or ear buds it may be different, can't say.

This is one instance where expert advice from an Audiologist would be welcome. Anyone have one in their pocket?

Pete

Mmm see what you mean, don't suppose it's possible to slip some ordinary ear buds from the radio under the defenders is it?
I don’t see why not. May aswell buy some AirPods (if you’re on apple) and wear them under pellets. Assuming the signal will go through the defenders

In a conversation about ear defenders I should mention the Sony 1000xm5 or xm4 over ear headphones. They're definitely not inexpensive but probably the most efficient noise cancelling bins around.
Bluetooth, so you can listen to the Archers or answer phone calls with the noisiest machines running, I often wear them all day long and they're very comfortable.
I wouldn't be without them.

Something to keep in mind when using ear buds inside ear muffs. The muffs drop the noise to levels that protect your hearing and then you add the sound from the buds on top. It isn't the same as using the buds in a quiet room. The muffs drop a particular shop noise say 100 Db by say 29Db to 71Db which is safe and then you add 10 DB to hear the music (probably more) and you are up to 81Db which is damaging to your hearing over a longer term. You are defeating the protection somewhat. It is much the same as having to turn the radio up when you go from 30KPH to 100KPH to hear it again. With noise canceling headphones and or ear buds it may be different, can't say.

This is one instance where expert advice from an Audiologist would be welcome. Anyone have one in their pocket?

Pete
Not sure if that's right Pete, because wouldn't the buds add some noise isolation of their own, and possibly more than the 10db needed to offset the 10db from music?

I know if I use buds on their own around loud noises, even with music, it seems to be protecting my hearing more than having nothing in at all. Could be a subjective thing though, don't know if that's correct

I'll be happy to sit corrected if an expert comes on and says otherwise. I do know that if I put in foam ear plugs rated at 20Db I get a 20Db reduction of noise. If I wear ear protectors rated at 31Db I get a reduction of 31DB. If I use both at the same time I will only get a reduction of 36Db not 51DB as some think. So even if you get a few decibels of reduction with the ear buds you are adding more noise than removing thus reducing the protection you have on.

Hear is a little more information I found.
https://www.thenoisechap.com/hearing-protection-advice/music-headphones-under-hearing-protectionhttps://www.thenoisechap.com/hearing-protection-advice/headphones-as-hearing-protection
Pete

Back