E-Book Thingy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMac

Established Member
Reaction score
I read the other thread with interest because one of these things could maybe be a good Christmas present for my wife who is a voracious reader. However, there's one problem, I haven't a clue about them so could you give me some advice as to make, model etc because I looked on Amazon and didn't really make much progress.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Brendan.

Hi.

Dedicated eBook readers e.g. Amazon's Kindle and the Sony Reader are small tablets with a hi-res black & white 'e-ink' screen which gives decent contrast and very good battery life. Overall, the devices are pretty clunky when compared to LCD screens on say, an iPod Touch, but they are generally a comfortable size and weight to hold and carry, and some (Kindle) have other basic functions as well e.g. basic web browsing.

So short answer - buy a Kindle 3 from Amazon. Honestly, nothing else you can buy new in the UK can touch it on price/spec and Amazon have by far the best range of eBooks available. You download books directly to the device, so there's no messing about with computers - unless you want to, of course. Your only decision is between a WiFi-only model and WiFi with 3G - with the 3G version you can buy books wherever there's a 3G signal, with WiFi you have to be logged onto a WiFi network.

The only downside is that the books are in Amazon's Kindle format - you can't read them on other devices. To be fair, this is the same with other readers as well, and whilst the alternative ePub format is becoming an open standard for 'everyone else' most companies apply their own DRM scheme (Digital Rights Management - supposedly prevents copying) which makes the format incompatible between many devices.

Other dedicated readers are available e.g. Sony from Waterstones and WHSmiths, but I found the overall book purchasing experience (and the device itself) to be far more clunky than with Amazon. Be aware as well that the £99 Sony Readers from WHS etc... only have a 5" screen, and is a soon-to-be-discontinued model.

HTH, Pete.
p.s. yes, this was the short (and simplified) answer!

Pete,

Thank you for that comprehensive and enlightening post. I learned more from you than all the searching I have done online so you are my new Best Friend Ever today.

Again, thank you for the time and effort you took.

Brendan.

Brendan

Before you shell out any money has your wife ever given any hint that she would like one? Or has actually tried one. If not then I strongly suggest that you somehow find out somewhere that can demo them and see if she likes the idea. Both SWMBO and I are voracious readers and find the ebook/reader an anathema and, yes, I did go out and try one. Bloody 'orrible and thoroughly rebarbative.

Roger raises a perfectly valid point - they're not for everyone. Me and 'the boss' both love them and haven't willingly bought a paper book for the last few years, but our kids don't like them at all, preferring 'real' books <shrug>

So yes, try one out if you can - but please don't just 'play' with one in a shop - it's often not the best place to try and experience something new. Amazon has a 30-day returns policy so if your good lady doesn't take to it you shouldn't be out of pocket - might have to hunt around for another pressie pretty sharpish though ;)

@ Roger - which reader did you try, and what was it that you found so repellant? Just curious...

Pete

RogerS":pin4n0k9 said:
I like holding a book in my hand. I like turning the pages and being able to read straightaway. Sorry ..can't remember which one it was.

No worries - as I said, just curious. The various devices serve up pages a little differently, depending on the screen, what controller they use etc... so it might be a little previous to write them all off on the basis of one trial. But if you like holding a book in your hand then no e-reader can replicate that - it's a personal thing, and personally I love reading more than I love books.

I understand completely about the page-turn lag - it's one of the reasons I stopped using a dedicated reader and switched to an iPhone/iTouch, and now the iPad - but the current readers are much better than even those of a year ago in this respect; tech improves constantly, whether you want it to or not ;)

Cheers, Pete

Roger,

That's a very good point. I'll try some discrete questions but, considering my wife knows what I am about to say before I do, maybe it would be best to just ask if she wants one.

Thanks,

Brendan.

I agree with Roger.

I too find the idea of a Kindle repellent. Much prefer to hold a real book.
On the other hand with a Kindle I wouldn't have to worry about shelf space, or SWIMBO radar when I buy another woodwork book!

And Roger, ...

I thought I had a decent vocabulary, but you insist on sending me to my dictionary!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

John

Latest posts

Back