DW 746

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aitchem

Reaction score
Hello folks,
I am looking for advice on the DeWalt DW746.
Yes it's very expensive, but my work is designed to be close fitting and fine fitting.
The fence on the DW 746 seems to be firm and accurate.
Does anyone know any different.?

thanks
Howard

Hi Howard,

Welcome to the forum. :D

I know diddly about the Dewalt so hopefully some one who does will be along soon. :roll:

i have the dewalt 744, and am not sure how much they differ, although, obviously the cast iron table is a BIG difference.

i find the fence on the 744 very good and accurate, but cannot tell whether the 746 is the same or a development thereof, if it is similar,then it will be very good. (subject to what scrit thinks about fences which go past the blade!)

the 735 width of cutting is pretty good and the side tables are pretty good looking. do you need this much capacity and width of cutting??

the latest incarnation of the 744 is smaller, and not as wide in the cut, but may be more useful. not sure whether it is yet launched here, but you could look at the american dewalt site.

have you looked at other saws, and carried out a proper amount of research.
can you let us know what you are cutting regularly and then maybe we can point you down the slippery slope :twisted:

paul :wink:

Welcome to the forum, Howard. What by all that's Normite is a DW746? Please take pity on those of us who don't have the DeWally catalogue memorised... [-o<

Cheers, Alf

On one of her periodic "please include a link to what you're talking about" rants. Don't mind me; my weekend has been ruined by a stinking cold and I'm in a Bad Mood.

alf, i would guess in trade terms it would be classed as a site saw, rather than what the americans are pleased to call cabinet makers saw.

if what i see is correct, it looks like the old tku that scheppach used to sell.
but with more grunt and i think more capacity.
:lol:

to be fair neil i did not directly link it to the tku, rather as the type. :roll:

it has only a cast iron top. but not sure whether it is a metal or plastic case underneath.

still at 1600 quid seems a really expensive piece of kit when there are others nearer a grand which may be more useable and productive.

Howard,
I own a DW746X that is the one that comes with all the extras (Sliding Table outfeedtable etc ) and it is absolutely first class.
It has a cast iron top with the std american sized mitre slot.I actually have an Osbourne EB3 mitre gauge but the supplied dewalt one is just as good.
I have owned it for over 4 years and I have had no trouble at all.The fence is equally as good as a Biesemeyer (I can compare as my friend has a Unisaw with a Biesemeyer). The best thing about it is the support that DeWalt provide.
Site saws are OK but if you want mm accuracy then go for this one.
Hope this helps

Regards
Arch

Thanks Neil, Paul; more making a point than an urgent desire to know. :wink: Jeff Gorman used to do it much more succinctly on the Old Tools List by a simple "wazzat den?"

Cheers, Alf

Hi again,
Let me rephrase the question.
I have a 20x10 ft Garage to work in.
Presently I am using a budget saw mounted in a home made bench with a router plate sunk in. I couldn't get a biesemeyer or other add on fence to fit, so I am using a home-made fence.
I need a compact saw which I need to cut repeatable square and angled ends. I am starting out on boxes but will work up to chairs/tables etc.
The saw will not be used for rough ripping or large boards.
In short I want an iron flat top with a straight mitre groove and an accurate sliding table.
Any suggestions.?

thanks
Howard

silly thought but if you are starting with boxes, why not use a decent 12 inch compound mitre saw??

you get up to 12 inch width of cut and decent height, plus good square ends and angled cuts. about the only thing it won't do is seperate the box lid from the sides, but then maybe hand saw it. it would also allow you the extra room in the garage.

another thought then is to pair this with a circular saw and rail set.
festo, mafell or the american set. would all offer you a number of benefits, not least taking up less room.

i have a dewalt dw746 with all the bells etc. superbly built and finished cast iron saw. this was basically the original hybrid saw. this means a cross between cabinet and contractor saw.(this is all american terminology) it is made and put together in america with select items sourced in germany(non american items riving knife etc) the jet supersaw is a copy of this design. with a little tweaking it will rival any saw for accuracy even unisaws, jets. sheppach cabinets etc etc. it may not have vast amounts of power in reserve(compared with 3 hp cabinet saws) but this is an advantage in the home shop and it will never stall on cuts. it still needs a separate 16 amp type c breaker to run. i set mine up 6 months ago and it still cuts perfectly bang on straight and square. i made my own crosscut carriage for the sliding table. i didnt think it was available new anymore

Back