DVR-XP Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Record power Dvr-xp and was wondering if any knows how easy it would be ( or if it's even possible) to wire in a large start/stop button into the panel? Just for safety reasons really, thanks

I am not familiar with that lathe but most likely there will be a good spot to bolt a small plastic box to the lathe headstock, they can be bought with a mushroom stop button already installed. Then its working out how the wiring works to connect it properly.

I am not familiar with that lathe but most likely there will be a good spot to bolt a small plastic box to the lathe headstock, they can be bought with a mushroom stop button already installed. Then its working out how the wiring works to connect it properly.
Right, a magnetic unit would be ideal, its never been used but the warranty has run out so that's not an issue either..guess I just need to find an electronic wizard !

I would imagine adding a second stop button which behaves the same way as the existing one would not be too difficult a task if the wiring is examined.

However I would be worried about a magnetic box for an emergency stop button, if you hit it at an angle in a panic it might not go off.

Usually the stop buttons are wired as a normally on, push to break the circuit, so you can just add another stop button into the circuit quite easily. If you are unlucky, the stop button is soldered to a circuit board, and adding another one could prove difficult!

Have you checked the Teknatool, Nova site to see if they have an add on button? You could also ask how to wire one in if possible. They might have already dealt with the question in the past. You could also ask if it it okay to put in an emergency stop in before the lathe electrics or would switching it off like that harm the control board.
Pete

Have you checked the Teknatool, Nova site to see if they have an add on button? You could also ask how to wire one in if possible. They might have already dealt with the question in the past. You could also ask if it it okay to put in an emergency stop in before the lathe electrics or would switching it off like that harm the control board.
Pete
good advice, i'll look, thanks

Pete
They have this... i have no idea why they couldn't have just added a big red STOP button.... DVR REMOTE II RETRO FIT KIT (SKU: 55523) - NOVA Seems like a bit of an oversight.

They did do a remote switch if I remember correctly it was in the form of a wrist watch with a magnetic back that could also be place on the lathe but I believe it was discontinued.
I’ve never had a problem just using the off button on the headstock but I guess it would be fairly easy to put a large stop button on the incoming mains lead which would kill the electric to the lathe in case of trouble. That would also mean you don’t need to venture into the lathes electrics.
If you’re worried about catches you can set up the stall function, I seem to remember there are three settings.

They did do a remote switch if I remember correctly it was in the form of a wrist watch with a magnetic back that could also be place on the lathe but I believe it was discontinued.
I’ve never had a problem just using the off button on the headstock but I guess it would be fairly easy to put a large stop button on the incoming mains lead which would kill the electric to the lathe in case of trouble. That would also mean you don’t need to venture into the lathes electrics.
If you’re worried about catches you can set up the stall function, I seem to remember there are three settings.
Good advice Doug, thanks.... i think my main concern is that i'm still used to my last lathe where the stop button is on the opposite side and lower down... i keep instinctively reaching for an invisible button ..... i'm sure i'll get used to it ha ha

Before you put anything between the mains and the lathe check with Nova to see if long term use will not damage the electronics. Drives like any computer don’t like plug pulled on them and a stop button in the line does exactly that.

Pete

Before you put anything between the mains and the lathe check with Nova to see if long term use will not damage the electronics. Drives like any computer don’t like plug pulled on them and a stop button in the line does exactly that.

Pete
cheers, will do

The similar but smaller Record Power Coronet Herald has a stop button between the mains and the lathe. It is available as an accessory but would probably be too small for the DVR-XP although it does illustrate that the principle is sound.
Whatever you do, don't put a stop button between the inverter and the motor - that's almost guaranteed to damage the inverter.
I don't know what inverter is in the DVR-XP but, if it is the same as most, it will have terminals for remote controls. Technical skills needed if going down this route!
Duncan

The similar but smaller Record Power Coronet Herald has a stop button between the mains and the lathe. It is available as an accessory but would probably be too small for the DVR-XP although it does illustrate that the principle is sound.
Whatever you do, don't put a stop button between the inverter and the motor - that's almost guaranteed to damage the inverter.
I don't know what inverter is in the DVR-XP but, if it is the same as most, it will have terminals for remote controls. Technical skills needed if going down this route!
Duncan
Thanks a lot Duncan, good advice

Back