Dust!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieB

Established Member
Reaction score
Following on from my thread in general woodworking, where some may not venture often, do any of you extract from your scrollsaws or do you just let it fall / be blown off the table with the blower?

I am redesigning my workshop with a view to putting in dust extraction properly, and considering which machines to hook up. Although the scrollsaw doesn't produce a huge amount, what it does produce is very fine. would be interested to know what others do about it.

Steve.

What about something like this Steve:

056001_l.jpg

I have been thinking about getting one for the drill press and spindle sander.

I ought to use proper dust collection, I know, but I tend to rely on the saw's blower to do the job :oops: . If the blower is properly positioned, it should blow the dust away from your face so you don't breath it in. However, there's still the residual dust which gathers around the machine. As you say, Steve, the dust from a scroll saw can be particularly fine and in theory it's a real hazard. So I persuade myself it's no worse than household dust.

It's irresponsible of me, but when I do so much sanding by hand I just can't get worked up over the dust given off by a scroll saw. Perhaps a dust extractor fitted above the workplace might be a good idea, but I know myself well to enough to accept that it ain't going to happen in my workshop :roll: .

Gill

Call me lazy, but I tend to rely on the blower to blow the sawdust away from me, and then I hoover it all up at the end of the session using my dust extractor. I am asthmatic, so tend to use that as a guide to if the dust is a problem - the scroll saw doesn't trigger my asthma.

In my experience, the dust from a scroll saw isn't that fine, so is less of a health issue. However, I always wear a Trend Airstream for sanding, as the dust generated is very fine,and makes my asthma bad if I don't wear adequate protection..

If I was scrolling MDF, I would be inclined to either extract the dust at source or wear the Airstream, as MDF dust is extremely fine,and thus hazardous.

Regards

Gary

WiZeR":29p4k8o4 said:
What about something like this Steve:

056001_l.jpg

I have been thinking about getting one for the drill press and spindle sander.

I've got one on my drill press. I have it joined to an elbow and a bit of guttering downpipe that is held on the wall with brackets. This flexible section can then reach to the drill press or be repositioned to be near the vice. With the long nozzle on it only just supports its own weight without sagging. Only just is good enough at the moment as it is pretty easy to get extraction just where you need it.

Gill":6s4ay06t said:
I know myself well to enough to accept that it ain't going to happen in my workshop :roll: .

Gill

Gill, can we use you as a sort of miner's canary then? You've been scrolling longer than most of us - well, longer than me anyhow - so when you start coughing and wheezing, we'll know it's time for the rest of us to put the extractors in... :twisted:

Chirp chirp (cough) chirp.

I'm still on my perch :) . I'm just pleased I've never smoked cigarettes. Sometimes I smile at woodworkers who have a wonderful dust extraction system, then pop outside for a quick ciggie!

Gill

At the moment most of my projects seem to be in MDF and I use a trend airshield, well 90% of the time, the other is just forgetfullness as you get engrossed in things (or maybe I'm just getting a little older). I have placed my saw just inside my garage door so on nice days I can move it outside and spread the dust on the garden. Ant way what I wanted to ask WiZer was where can I source the dust extraction bits he showed.

Gill have you ever looked to see if you could extend the stroke length on your Hegner. there certainally seems to be two holes on the flywheel thingy but they seem to be eqidistance either side of the centre??

Rgds
Alanjm

Thanks - seems that of all the machines to extract the scrollsaw is not high up on the list. I do little enough I think that a face mask might be the way to go if I am scrolling MDF.

Steve.

alanjm":3hrq4u1n said:
Gill have you ever looked to see if you could extend the stroke length on your Hegner. there certainally seems to be two holes on the flywheel thingy but they seem to be eqidistance either side of the centre??

I've never even considered adjusting the stroke length on my Hegner. We did have a thread on the subject once (it might have been the AWFS), but I can't find it now.

Gill

Latest posts

Back