Dust Masks - Comfort and Glasses!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dissolve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have asthma and some really irritating allergies, I don't believe it's to a specifc species of wood, but I think the exposure to "general" dust is starting to irritate my nose/sinuses. I'm also lucky enough to need my glasses all the time when working.

I think I'll invest in an air filter (like the record power box type you suspend from the ceiling) because my workshop is so small I think it'll probably make a difference for day to day things.
But I can't wear paper masks and they do absolutely nothing when considering the fact theres gap around and the nose part makes glasses impossible. I don't mind shelling out on a decent dust mask that's more comfortable than the paper ones and is reasonably more suited to using glasses with.

Anyone have experience with anything similar?

Hi Cheerup,

I'm in the same boat as you as a glasses wearer. I find the most difficult scenario is when it's also necessary to wear ear defenders as well as glasses and a mask.

Any tips from members would be greatly appreciated.

John

I had a play with a fellow members Trend Airshield yesterday and I was quiet surprised.
At £200 (Axminster) they are not a cheap solution but then how much is it worth to keep what is left of our health ?
I was expecting ( from what I had read ) that it would feel heavy and awkward with a constant loud buzzing in the ear, uncomfortable with that 'skirt' around your face, maybe a little claustrophobic, difficult to see clearly through, and ( to put it nicely ) a bit 'prattish'. I have to tell you it was none of these things and I am going to get one.
Room filters are useful, I have two, but the dust has to pass you to get to them, and it won't :)

Can you not wear a 3M 7500 with P3 filters directly on your face? The rubber is a soft silicon compound not entirely unlike a scuba mask (though softer).

They are very good at what they do and lightweight. You can also buy safety specs that go over prescription glasses and wrap around the side of your face.

Yep another vote for the 7500 here and i have tried it with goggles etc and get no steaming up due to the downward facing vent. :)

I also find wearing a paper type mask make my glasses steam up so I have ordered the 3M 7500 with the P3 filters as soon as it arrives I'll give you an update as to whether they are any good with glasses. Hopefully they will be.

Slightly more expensive but the Trend Airace works well with glasses.
Replacement filters are fairly cheap and really easy to fit.

I'm a speccy wearer as well and I wear a 3M 7500 well enough. Wearing a mask, specs and safety specs isn't really ideal however, tend to get fogging up. So I don't bother with power tools much and stick to hand tools.

I have an airace and to be honest I find it quite uncomfortable. It works very well enough but the rubber cup that your face goes in is not rounded over. It just ends where it contacts your skin and causes quite a groove to form on my face after a while.

I'm wondering if an extractor fan fixed to one of the walls would be of benefit. I imagine it would help by expelling dust laden air from within the workshop and drawing in clean air from outside. Does anyone have a first hand experience of this?

John

Another 7500 user here. Can't recommend it enough with the p3 filters.

I forget I am wearing it sometimes which is the biggest compliment I can give to the mask.

John15":13egnp1v said:
I'm wondering if an extractor fan fixed to one of the walls would be of benefit. I imagine it would help by expelling dust laden air from within the workshop and drawing in clean air from outside. Does anyone have a first hand experience of this?

John
I have a powerful 12 inch extractor fitted into the window ( sort of - I have it on a piece of ply which fits into the window space when the window is open. Easy to remove and shut the window for security ) I feel it does a better job of removing dust from the workshop than anything else.

Latest posts

Back