Dust ingress into lathe motors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to turning and the lathe I've got an Axminster M950. When I got it, it was in a bad way with dust and general crud all over. I've stripped it all down, cleaned it and sorted a few issues and it's now working quite well.
Well, that's to say it WAS working well, until the motor stopped starting. It took to humming at me whenever I hit the Start button. I took the motor to a local workshop where they have changed the capacitor and cleaned the centrifugal switch in the motor. It now seems OK again.

Please can you folks advise me on this? Should the motor now be OK, or should I think about knocking together a ventilation duct on the air-intake of the motor and get it to suck the cleaner air from high-level in the workshop?
Has anyone else had this happen?
Many thanks Richard

Try to extract as much dust at source. By having something to suck up the dust as soon as it is created.

This idea might be of use

file.php

Obviously no use if headstock swivelled but it worked for me for a couple of years until I changed machines.

Many thanks for your help. @CHJ you raise a good point about the swivel head. I need to swivel the head to get a rod in to remove the turning heads.

Or something smaller made from 65mm rainwater fittings & an old sweet jar to be used with a shop vac

Lathe Dust Collection 1.jpg

I think you mean you need access for the knock out bar to remove the drive centres (turning heads). :)

Attachments

• Lathe Dust Collection 1.jpg
    Lathe Dust Collection 1.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 297
I think you should be ok, lathe motors are usually fully enclosed and your start problem was probably due to a duff capacitor.
As someone new to turning, you may well decide to upgrade your lathe before the issue reccurs.
Having said that, it is always good to keep dust and debris down, with some good suggestions shown. Join a local club and you'll get plenty of advice.
Enjoy your new hobby, Duncan

Back