Dust extractor woes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazylilting

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product....=dust+collector&user_search=1&sfile=1&jump=44

I have bought the above dust extractor that is supposed to move 3000 meters squared per hour. the silly thing has 4 inch connections on it and when you hook up a four inch flexible hose to it (5 meters) the hose just fills up with dust and stops working.

So my question is if i nix the connector on the machine and put a six inch pipe on it will that also clog up or will it actually suck up the dust and chippings?

Is this machine just to small? or the pipe to small for the machine?

Do you have the single phase or three phase version?
If three phase is it running in the correct direction (phases crossed?)

Does the blower have a finger guard on the inlet?
There was one on the chip collector I bought, it worked OK for dust and small shavings but when wide boards were planed, producing long shavings it clogged. Two minute job with the tin snips to remove it solved the problem.

I have the three phase version and yes it is hooked up correctly as it does suck and doesn't blow.

It did have some finger guards on it but i pulled them out as they clogged up very quickly.

I also pulled them out on the bag side of the blower as well. Still not much suction.

crazylilting":1yomizu7 said:
I have the three phase version and yes it is hooked up correctly as it does suck and doesn't blow.

It did have some finger guards on it but i pulled them out as they clogged up very quickly.

I also pulled them out on the bag side of the blower as well. Still not much suction.
It may still suck if wired incorrectly, just very weakly, due to centrifugal nature of the fan.

If correct and fan is firmly fixed to motor shaft then it should pick up a 3" cube of wood no problem. OTHER THAN THE FACT you don't now have anything to stop the wood from wrecking the fan.

Something you have to take care about once the finger guards are removed.

I have a trap bin in my hose run just for this, often have to retrieve the odd pencil and parted off scrap piece.

Obvious answer alert!!!

There's definitely something not quite right with it, mine will suck the air from your lungs making it impossible to breathe in if you hold it over your nose and mouth.

DAMHIKT ;)

I would get onto Axy, they are usually very good about these kind of things.

TrimTheKing":12ai8m2u said:
I have the single bag version of that, the ADE2200, and that sucks like a tuppeny Peach. Sounds like yours has issues...

Where can I find one of those ladies :wink:

jedmc571":3gp46063 said:
TrimTheKing":3gp46063 said:
I have the single bag version of that, the ADE2200, and that sucks like a tuppeny Peach. Sounds like yours has issues...

Where can I find one of those ladies :wink:
You're not far from Liverp....urrrrgh...nope, I just can't bring myself to even say the word!

You know where I mean! ;)

Ok mate settle down, I understand it's difficult to get the word out without feeling nausea

And I also realised.................I married one ! so no need to travel

She's gonna love me for that.

When are we having a bash round your gaff then :)

jedmc571":2bmrk5qu said:

when she reads that i suspect you are going to experience a total loss of suction and the repair will be both expensive and time consuming :D

jedmc571":1t8t4ev4 said:
Ok mate settle down, I understand it's difficult to get the word out without feeling nausea

When are we having a bash round your gaff then :)
Haha, you so need to hope she doesn't read this!! ;)

I'll get the calendar out and start looking at dates, seems about time for a bash :D

Nothing to update as of yet thanks for asking. I have my hands full and once i have my shop configuration all set out i'm going for hard ducting. I think it's just a problem with the four inch flex hose so when i go for the 6 inch hard pipe i think the problem will be solved. In the middle of making a couple sets of windows and a big double door for my own shop and a couple of kitchens and some other bits and bobs... Then i'll be ready. I also want to move my bandsaw. Once all these things are sorted out i'll make the appropriate measurements and get some ducting made and have someone with a blow torch come and make the ports bigger on some of the machinery to accept the bigger pipe. I'm also thinking of a cyclone, keeping my eye's out for one.

Not sure whether to go with an 8 inch trunk and have 6 inch drops for the machines or just go 6 inch through out yet, but have some time to make the decision.

Yes, 5 metres is very long for flexible hose, they really do rob suction. A metre or less is best I believe.

Jim

Latest posts

Back