Dust Extractor? (sorry......)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotswood

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok Guys here goes,
This seems to be a bit of a hot topic at present and rightly so. I have all the power tools adequately covered for extraction (nilfisk/ lidl vacs) but need some help in choosing main extraction for P/T, Table saw SCMS etc.
Have looked at a few wall mounted systems.The unit will probably be sited downstairs in the garage with ducting coming up into the (1st Floor) workshop.
The budget is £200-£250 and I'm open to all suggestions but from a garage space point of view wall mounted would definitely be the best option. Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks for your time,
Graham

scotswood":3cx55d90 said:
but from a garage space point of view wall mounted would definitely be the best option. Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks for your time, Graham

Assuming you are handy, I doubt many models couldn't easily be converted to be wall mounted with a couple of brackets and some timber.

Adam

If the garage isn't going to be used by other people then the ADE2200 is a good choice. Its not wall mounted but its not that big either. It's got wheels on the base for you to move it around if you need to.

The reason I ask about the garage is because the filters it comes with are useless for stopping fine dust. But if the garage below is just for storage then I can't see any problem apart from everything getting covered in a layer of dust...

Like I said in another thread, you'll have a hard job finding a high volume extractor for reasonable prices that come with 0.5 micron filtration, which is IMO the minimum you should go for when working with wood.

Davy

Thanks for the prompt responses.
Davy the garage is used for the family car, assorted pushchairs and other wee one's paraphenalia so i'd really like to keep the fine dust to a minimum.
Adam hadn't really thought about converting a floor standing job but might be well worth a closer look
Any thoughts on the Record range?
Thanks again,
Graham

scotswood the least would would have to use a .5micron filter attached to the extractor as all the garage will be covered in fine dust. This will occur with all bag type extractors. Can you locate it outside in a cupboard ?
Barry

Barry,
Outside not really an option so if the bag types are to distribute fine dust am I looking at a drum ( eg record DX/ camvac) type for better performance. I'm keen to get this right and all help is very much appreciated. If I've narrowed it down to this sort the next question is which one comes out on top and where to buy the beast?
Cheers,
Graham

scotswood":bdvremyf said:
cting coming up into the (1st Floor) workshop.
The budget is £200-£250

Graham you would be hard pressed to buy a dual motor camvac and the 4" pipe work? You should run at least 4" pipe work from your workshop to the garage. I assume your pipe work would be at least 20'or more. My pipe work with Y junctions and blastgates from soil pipe must have cost close to £250 on its own. You also have to make 4" connections for some table saws and most mitre saws etc.
Barry

I have a Record Power RSDE1. Its for sale atm due to the fact it didn't move enough air for larger tools and there are quieter options available for handheld tools (Trend)

You won't get a camvac or record extractor worth the money you would spend on it if you want to use it for large tools.

Have a look at this. Then pick up one of these . Change the lower bag of the extractor for a plastic one and fit the new filter to the top. This gives you 0.5 micron filtration and 850 m^2/hour airflow - most probably even more since the surface area of the Donaldson is probably about 15 times more than the filters that come with it. Not bad for under £200.

Graham,
Do you know what the extraction rate is for the machines you have??.
usually found in the manuals etc. That's the only way to find out how big an extractor you need.

As Adam mentioned most of these extractors can be wall mounted with some brackets etc.

If you want to keep the dust at bay you need to be at 0.5 microns and for the budget you have set it's going to be a bit of a squeeze, but Davy-Owen's suggestion will get you at the right filtration, but if your piping over a fair distance and with bends etc you'll need something that can move more air imho.

Thanks for the info guys,
The budget does not include the piping as a kind mate who works as a heating/ventilation draughtsman has mysteriously over-estimated for a job or two which required 4" galv ducting so that helps.
Interesting link to the donaldson filters...will look into it.
Will keep you posted.
Cheers,
Graham

Graham The filters work very well. this is how I did it
Cyclonebaffle.jpg

Thanks for the pic Barry.
Can you explain it please...think i'm right in saying the two stacked filters are the Donaldsons? Not too sure about the single black one though.
So the air is sucked in and "pushed" into the filter, this obviously removes the size of particle the filter is rated for? The filtered air then returns through the filter..am i correct?
So if i did the Perform conversion, the heavier dust/ chips drop into the waste sack and the finer stuff is forced up through the inadequate bag on top, hence the repacement 0.5micron donaldson?Bit of a stupid question next but do i need to speak with the filter seller to get the correct fitting for a certain make of extractor?
Thanks again....so many questions!!
Cheers,
Graham

Graham this is how you would do it with the Perform extractor
ExtractorwithFilters.JPG

In the earlier picture the grey solid bit below the impellor is a silencer/baffle/muffler that reduces the noise by up to 10dB. The filter comes with a rubber ring at the bottom and you want the open both end in case you decide in the future to increase the HP of your motor

The Donaldson filters don't come with any method of attachment. They are open ended so what I did was to stick 2 filters on top of each other using silicone sealant.

Then I stuck a piece of MDF onto one side and flush trimmed that to size (this seals one end)

Then take a sheet of MDF large enough to cover the top opening of your extractor and stick that to the remaining open end of the filters and then flush cut the inner opening into the filters.

Since I only intend on using this method for a short while and the extractor doesn't get that much use, I stuck the whole assembly directly to the extractor opening. I'm sure if I need to change the filters I will be able to get them apart with a bit of force.

Back