Dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO to eliminate the pressure differential would require a vacuum of equal pressure, this would suck the bag into the hole of the small vacuum line, this may work sufficiently until the bag becomes partially filled and then remain in place, but I have to ask is all this worth the effort when a simple disposable filter can be made out of an open Hepa bag to go over the main filter and not use a cyclone at all?

Mike

MikeJhn":2vxq6nmr said:
I don't use a cyclone anymore, but I did have a Pentz designed cyclone... I also wear a Trend Airshield Pro much to the amusement of my OH this protects up to APF 20/FFP3 which is about as reasonable as you can get without going to very expensive extremes.
I'd love (the space to fit) a Pentz designed cyclone, so I'd have thought that was a great unit.

I use an Airshield almost all the time I used powered machinery - working lungs are more important than looks; though I would admit to having a sensitivity to dust as a result of too much unprotected MDF cutting in my younger days. I'd be in total agreement that it's a smart thing to use.

MikeK":2vxq6nmr said:
I remember seeing a method where a small vacuum line was added to the drum holding the bag. The eliminated the pressure differential and prevented the bag from being sucked up into the cyclone. Apparently, it worked well and if I can find the link, I'll post it here.
Yep, that's the thing I was referencing earlier with the Onieda shop vac set up.

MikeJhn":2vxq6nmr said:
IMO to eliminate the pressure differential would require a vacuum of equal pressure, this would suck the bag into the hole of the small vacuum line, this may work sufficiently until the bag becomes partially filled and then remain in place, but I have to ask is all this worth the effort when a simple disposable filter can be made out of an open Hepa bag to go over the main filter and not use a cyclone at all?

The cyclone really is useful in protecting your fine filter. With the CTL vac and the small cyclone I get almost no material hitting the vac bag; meaning that essentially nothing visible hits the (pricey) HEPA filter, which means I don't need to replace it as often, and it (and the vac bag) are not being sand blasted by visible dust (or being caked up).

At least with the shop vac system the vacuum line for the bag is trivial - it's just a small hose that spurs off the main attachment to the vac. I can't immediately find a good photo showing the part, but the manual has some good pics: https://www.oneida-air.com/pdf/ultimate ... 15-web.pdf

EDIT: A quick look at one of Onieda's bigger machines would indicate they don't have the vac line to the bin, and that a retainer is required if you're using a bag - so not ideal in terms of dust when changing a bag.

Latest posts

Back