Dust extraction/vacuum advice needed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJ1

Established Member
Reaction score
Following all the recommendations and helpful advice given recently on choosing a Random Orbit Sander, I'm now the proud owner of a Metabo SXE 450 and a good supply of Abranet discs and strips. I've been using them all week and I'm extremely pleased with the above combination. I was using the sander connected to my Goblin vacuum cleaner but unfortunately the Goblin has now packed up. I carried on sanding for an hour or so but the dust and mess soon made me realize a dust extraction device of some sort is essential.
I don't have a workshop and I'm very much just a D.I.Y.'er and have only recently gotten involved with woodworking. Budget is a big concern and funds will unfortunately not stretch to £200+ for a dedicated dust extraction device. Therefore I was considering one of these http://www.axminster.co.uk/numatic-numatic-hvr-200a-henry-and-hetty-vacuum-cleaners-prod784393/.
Will that be suitable for use as a dust extractor? I only plan on using it with a random orbit sander, orbital and detail sander and a Mirka hand sanding pad. I can appreciate it won't have automatic switching on/off but I can live with that and I'm also assuming that with a bit of trial and error and lots of gaffa tape :) I should be able to hook it up to my sanders ok.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

One thing to check if you are using an extractor for long periods is the motor cooling.
Simpler domestic designs often rely on the input suction airflow to pass through the motor to cool it, if you restrict the suction flow for long periods with a small tool outlet then the motor can overheat.

Shop vacuums usually have their motors external to the suction airflow and have their own motor cooling fan so that if the suction inlet is restricted the motor does not overheat.

i can also testify to the usefulness of the lidl unit, particularly for DIY use. Not sure whether it would stand up to prolongued trade use all day every day, but that is not what you were after. For the 60 odd quid it cost it is brilliant, and I use it on my ROS regularly.

I went in a couple of weeks ago for a soldering iron and theyt still had a couple left- you may be lucky if you pop in!

marcros":2pua65cc said:
i can also testify to the usefulness of the lidl unit, particularly for DIY use.

Thirded - I use one with my router table, and I'm pretty happy with it.

(I sealed one of the fine-filter bags from my bigger dust extractor over the motor part, the pleated filter that came with it was OK but nothing special.)

Hi

I use a Numatic NQS250B with my Metabo orbital sander. I purchased the Numatic about 15 years ago and can vouch for the fact that it will run for prolonged periods. If run with the bag full it will cut out and re-set itself when cool. I purchased the Numatic because it has a hepa filter/bag and is very quiet. It sucks till the bag is so full its a job to get it out of the bin! I suspect the Henry would work, but my sons version doesnt seem to suck as well as the metal cased job.

Bob

Many thanks for all the advice, links and recommendations. Unfortunately my local Lidl'd don't seem to have any left but I'll keep my eyes peeled in case they come round again. I've bought a few different bits and pieces from Lidl recently and have been very pleasantly surprised with the good performance and low price,not to mention the three year guarantee they often do, which is an added bonus.
I had never even heard of a Henry vacuum cleaner until yesterday, it just happened to be one of the first models I came across and the reviews seemed to be favorable, hence the reason I was considering that particular model.
I needed one pretty desperately and ideally wanted something for less than £100 (tight budget after buying sander and lots of other bits and bobs). I had a look in a local charity shop and ended up buying a secondhand 1800W Samsung model for £30. It came with a 6 months guarantee which wasn't bad for a used item I thought. It seems to work fine, fits into my Metabo R.O.S. absolutely perfectly and it even has an infrared remote control built in to the handle right behind where it connects to my sander. I found this hugely convenient as it allows me to turn the machine on and off and even select three different suction levels. It's nice and quiet and compact which is an added bonus. It has a couple of hepa filters installed which I've just washed as they got very clogged up with dust after a few hours of sanding.
I'm not expecting too much from the machine but it got me out of a tight spot and hopefully it will keep me going a while.

Thanks again for all the helpful info. :)

Hi JJ1

I bought one of these from Clas Ohlson. Had to wait for a couple of months to come into stock in Newcastle but it's excellent and at £60, I think very good value for money. They are available now on-line if there isn't a shop near you.

I use with my Metabo and it has a power socket so vac starts automatically and switches of a few seconds after the machine stops.

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Cotech-Wet ... r183157000

Bob

edit: OOps............just seen you've got one

Lons":lqo10ip7 said:
I bought one of these from Clas Ohlson.

For what it's worth: that looks very similar to - albeit not literally identical - to the Lidl one! ;-)

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Thanks for the recommendation for the Einhell vacuum and also for the Cotech one.

Although I've now got something to tide me over I shall keep a look out for a better one in case mine bites the 'dust'

Out of interest, when the Lidls' vacuum cleaner was mentioned, I did a Google search and one appeared on the Lidl's website for £59.99, there seemed no way of ordering it or checking to see which branches had stock, so I assumed it must have been a model they no longer stocked and probably an old, cached web page that I was viewing. However, a fresh search now reveals that Lidl will be selling a vacuum cleaner from 21.2.2013. for £34.99, as seen HERE. Is this the same one that's being recommended? Also, does it use bags or is it bagless?

JJ1":u39cosj2 said:
Out of interest, when the Lidls' vacuum cleaner was mentioned, I did a Google search and one appeared on the Lidl's website for £59.99, there seemed no way of ordering it or checking to see which branches had stock, so I assumed it must have been a model they no longer stocked and probably an old, cached web page that I was viewing. However, a fresh search now reveals that Lidl will be selling a vacuum cleaner from 21.2.2013. for £34.99, as seen HERE. Is this the same one that's being recommended? Also, does it use bags or is it bagless?

That's not quite the same one - it's the smaller sibling. No auxiliary power socket, for starters; I think it's a significantly smaller capacity, as well.

The £60 one has a large drum which the motor at the top unclips from. There's an optional filter bag which sits over the intake and thus fills up with stuff like disposable vacuum bags, and from the accessory picture on Lidl's site, it looks like that smaller one is the same.

Lidl get these things in stock semi-randomly, usually with a week or two's notice. Best bet is to sign up for their email newsletter if you don't get their flyers through the door, and keep an eye out for the useful stuff.

JakeS":2l5h2vb6 said:
Lons":2l5h2vb6 said:
I bought one of these from Clas Ohlson.

For what it's worth: that looks very similar to - albeit not literally identical - to the Lidl one! ;-)

Co-incidently, I called in to Lidl tonight and they had 1 in stock but were selling it off At £49.99 as I think the box was bashed and perhaps bits missing.

i had a good look at it and it is similar but definately not from the same manufacturer. This one was branded Parkside btw and it didn't look as robust as mine. Nothing wrong with it though and had a 3 year guarantee for what it's worth.

Bob

Hi, thanks for the info. I have a Lidl less than a minutes walk from my house, so I'll start regularly checking to see what products become available. Coincidently, I purchased a couple of Parkside products recently, an orbital sander and a detail sander and several boxes of abrasives and I must say I've been extremely impressed with them so far and they've had quite a lot of use since being purchased several months ago.

Dust - especially fine sanding stuff like MDF & some exotic hardwoods - is impossible to extract totally, however good your vac/mask - just look at the floating stuff when the light catches it at the right angle. You will always end up inhaling some, and if you react or are allergic (as I am), you can end up coughing all night (as I have on occasions). What I do now, in addition to extraction & masks, is have a water misting bottle (the sort you get for a pound at garden centres etc) - it is set as a very fine spray, and I squirt it around after doing any sanding, sawing etc. You can see the dust drop before your very eyes. Obviously not for use on live electrical stuff. I cover things I don't want damp, but the spray is so fine it doesn't make things "wet" - a quick wipe with a cloth cleans it up, and it's not re-distributed into the air - it also adds to my already belt and braces technique. Any thoughts?

Back