Dust Extraction Dilemma

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberbuddy

Reaction score
I have an Axminster AWEDE HVLP extractor in my workshop, which serves the planer/thicknesser very well, but is struggling to cope with my industrial-rated bandsaw. So I need to upgrade in some way or other.
Recent housing developments mean that I now have neighbours on both sides close to my workshop, and I value good neighbourly relations. So i'm looking for an extractor with good pulling power but low noise levels.
From what research I've done so far, it seems that a vacuum type extractor (HPLV) would serve me well for pulling power without being too costly, but would be noisy, whereas HVLP is quieter but to get the same pull would be expensive.
My choice (and my dilemma) appears to be (1) to keep my current HVLP extractor for the planer/thicknesser and get a powerful HPLV vacuum for the bandsaw; (2) upgrade the entry-level HVLP extractor to something more powerful to serve both machines.
Pros and cons are: Option 1 (buy a vac) would be cheaper and simpler (vacs can be pretty well turned on straight out of the box but HVLP extractors tend to need putting together - and my doctor doesn't approve of heavy lifting just now) but it would up the noise levels in the workshop and risk souring neighbourly relations.
Option 2 will be quieter, and also save space - one machine rather than two. The downsides are the expense and the aforementioned heavy lifting during assembly.
As to costs: a powerful HPLV vac can be had for about £300 while upgrading the HVLP would be nudging the underside of £1000. I'd need to be sure of getting a worthwhile result for that kind of money.
I'm pretty confident that the vac I'm considering would be very effective whereas I just don't know about the HVLP so I could end up spending more money without solving the problem
It's an interesting one - I don' think there's a simple answer and I do realise that eventually I'm going to have to make a judgment on balance. But I thought I'd put it up here and see what wisdom and experience may be out there for me to benefit from.

"but is struggling to cope with my industrial-rated bandsaw."

Usually if a DE can manage ~1200 cfm, it's good enough for all WW machines. Perhaps the shrouds/hoods and extraction ports on the bandsaw are the reason for the poor results you are getting from your extractor. Are you using the 125mm or 100mm inlet?

Bandsaws are notoriously bad for dust extraction, mine has two 4” ports that are hooked up to a 6” main & whilst it’s the best extraction I’ve managed on any bandsaw I’ve had over the years it still isn’t great.
A lot of dust is caught within the cut so tends to not fall out until the parts are separated & the free space between the underside of the table & the blade entry point back into the machine means that however good the extraction is the dust isn’t going to be sucked back through the machine.
On previous machines I’ve rigged up a dust port in this free space just below the bottom blade bearings which helps but is something else to reset when changing blades.

Thinking about why your extractor isn't coping with the bandsaw very well..

Quick thing to mention when setting up extraction is you need to allow for what I call "free flow" if you seal up all the holes in the machine housing in an attempt to maximise suction at the blade you can actually have a negative effect. I have found this is why a lot of machines don't experience very good extraction.

Extraction works by mobilising the air and creating a solution of air and dust particles, if there is insufficient air flow this solution doesn't mobilise enough to get those dust particles into suspension. Without enough incoming air, the air inside the hose and the fan cease to move allowing the particles to just fall out of suspension.

If you think about when you cover the end of the hose on the vacuum cleaner, the sound of the motor changes. This is a combination of things, the air inside the fan just spinning round and round and a reduction of load on the motor allowing the fan to spin faster.

So what does all that actually mean to your situation? To get the best extraction you need ensure you have a steady stream of new clean air passing over the point where the dust is produced (or will fall though gravity) so this material can be collected into solution for removal to the separator.

In short if you restrict the flow of air before it encounters the dust it'll be just as ineffective as having a restriction after the dust collection point.

Latest posts

Back