Dust Deputy Super vs Large Omni cyclone separators

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wizard9999

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a cyclone dust separator. It will be running off a 3hp SiP chip extractor and that seems to mean I should be using a Dust Deputy Super (as opposed to the standard smaller Dust Deputy) which says it is rated for 1-3hp extractors. This runs out at about £192 from Toolovation.

I've now spotted another larger size cyclone on eBay for £150 incl. postage and packing. It is from a company called Omni and looks pretty much identical to the Dust Deputy. I don't want to fall into the 'buy cheap, buy twice' trap, but equally don't want to spend £42 for no reason.

So I wondered if anyone had any experience of Omni cyclones and the large one in particular?

Terry.

Terry
The large cyclone you link to is fairly generic and sold under several different names
If you're prepared to wait for it to come over on a slow boat from China then Ali Express knocks all those prices out of the park
http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32329409159.html
Caveat-haven't bought one this way myself, I made my own big cyclone

Mark

The Bear":1yynnf1c said:
Terry
The large cyclone you link to is fairly generic and sold under several different names
If you're prepared to wait for it to come over on a slow boat from China then Ali Express knocks all those prices out of the park
http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32329409159.html
Caveat-haven't bought one this way myself, I made my own big cyclone

Mark
$137.83? That's far from cheap unless I'm missing something.

Well I makes it about £90, compared to the £150 plus Terry has found so far.

From what I can tell he wants the large cyclone with the 5 or 6 inch inlets/outlets for a chip extractor. These are not to be confused with the £30 types that are dust deputy clones and have inlets of about 2 inch and are easily picked up on UK ebay under brands such as Omni, Dust Commander, Dust Mite etc.

Unless you know somewhere to get a big one for under £90 ?

Mark

The Bear":3sg52qcz said:

From what I can tell he wants the large cyclone with the 5 or 6 inch inlets/outlets for a chip extractor. These are not to be confused with the £30 types that are dust deputy clones and have inlets of about 2 inch and are easily picked up on UK ebay under brands such as Omni, Dust Commander, Dust Mite etc.

Mark
I've seen large ones on eBay for roughly £80, but to be fair I've never noticed what the port sizes are. Perhaps your link is a better option.

Monkey Mark":3o1wqep1 said:
The Bear":3o1wqep1 said:

Mark
I've seen large ones on eBay for roughly £80, but to be fair I've never noticed what the port sizes are. Perhaps your link is a better option.

Exactly, I am looking for a 5/6 inch inlet/outlet cyclone, not the smaller ones with 2 inch inlet/outlet. Thanks for the Aliexpress link I'll take a look.

Terry.

The Bear":k0h8jcpe said:
Terry
haven't bought one this way myself, I made my own big cyclone

Mark
Care to share any details /pics of yours? I've thought about doing the same when I get around to it. Going to make my own blower so just need to work out dimensions to match air flow.

Monkey M
For some reason I can't paste the link but if you search "my cyclone build" with my user name you should find the build already documented on here
To be honest though, for £90 (or your £80) I't be easier to just buy one

Mark

The Bear":1aslcrz4 said:
Monkey M
For some reason I can't paste the link but if you search "my cyclone build" with my user name you should find the build already documented on here
To be honest though, for £90 (or your £80) I't be easier to just buy one

Mark
I managed to find your build thread here.my-cyclone-build-t54970.html
impressive build. Im sure with you already have got done of the materials it was a very cost effective method. However I would expect it to be prohibitive otherwise. But I'm going to check anyway as it looks like a great method. Any idea how much resin you used on it?

This is my setup in a small room situated next too the workshop

its only been in a couple of weeks, so utilising one of the original filter bags tied over the air vent, I eventually fully intend to vent it outside through the eaves/facia, this should significantly increase airflow, however its more than adequate now pulling off the P/T, panel saw, Spindle, Bandsaw and Tenoner ( I do appreciate the loss of heat in the workshop but as the extractor is in a separate room I cannot see this being an issue).

The biggest bonus is that nothing goes through the fan so can use it to pick up hand shavings off the floor (when I did this under the old setup the shavings used to tangle in the fan).

memzey":1mlmldl5 said:
I think they all are aren't they?
Sort of. You usually have to bolt the cyclone to a collector.
But the one I linked to you actually have to build. The kit comes with pre cut parts. Top, bottom, conical shape (but it's flat!) inlet and outlet pipes a d glue. The conical section has to be shaped and it all needs glueing together.

step1.jpg

I have heard some people swear by the cyclone central one, but I have convinced myself I could easily screw up assembly so would rather get a ready made one.

Ayone have any idea what the delivery lead time wold be from Aliexpress, tried to find info on link provided but couldn't?

Terry.

Back