Henry + cyclone or NV750 ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cisamcgu

Established Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

I am ready to buy a dust extractor for my small (3m x 4m) workshop. I have narrowed it down to

a) Henry + cyclone + chip box (about £150)
b) Numatic NV750 (about £380)

Important things (to me at least) are noise level, fine dust extraction, ability to run for an hour or so without issues.

I mainly will use lathe, bandsaw, pillar drill, hand tools. No table saw, no P/T.

The money isn't the main issue, but I don't want to spend £380 if £150 will do as good a job, or better.

Any opinions ?

Thanks
Andrew

Well I think every workshop should have a Henry! They are reliable and tough and you could just use it directly connected to your tools, moving it round as needed. None of the activities you mention will generate a huge volume of dust / shavings. You'll only use one on the lathe when sanding. If you find the bag filling up to often then add a simple pre-separator which you can make yourself for next to nothing. That's how I started and still have the henry which gets used most days.

I use a Henry & cyclone for sanding on site in part as it’s an inexpensive way of getting good dust extraction, it works really well just remember to unwind the cable fully if using for long periods as the cable can get very hot if left coiled in the hood DAMHIKT.
Personally when using a vacuum cleaner in the shop I always use a cyclone it’s a no brainier really particularly if your vacuum bags are expensive.

I only use a lathe in my space at the minute, I use a Henry for when I'm sanding and it does a pretty good job, my issue is the amount of dust created whilst turning, especially spalted silver birch, it creates an amazing amount of dust whilst turning, as my space is at the back of the garage I need to look at air cleaners to catch most of the dust.

I've been looking at dust management ideas for my 3x3m workshop (table saw and mitre saw).

I think I'm going for a small vac + cyclone buy I'm not sure which vac. Does a Henry filter as well as an M-Class Vac?

I'm not sure if I need a chip box as well?

Depending on what you are doing you might be better getting none of the above and getting something like a Camvac or a record Dx5000 (I have one ) they filter fine dust but have 100mm outlet and move a lot more air. Also just use plastic sacks which are easy to deal with.

Most M class filters are the same as L class it's the warning beep and auto filter clean that make them M class. Look at the particulate size or HEPA rating. Henry's are pretty good if you use the fleece bags.

Ollie

NV 750 any day of the week.

I've have one for over 15 years and replaced both motors once. It runs for hours without issues and has a 4" cyclone inlet.

NV 750 any day of the week.

I've have one for over 15 years and replaced both motors once. It runs for hours without issues and has a 4" cyclone inlet.
I am not sure the current version of the NV750 has a 100mm inlet - I think it is 51mm. Maybe you have the NVD 750 ?

I use a Henry connected to a Oneida Dust deputy(cyclone) as my hand tool extractor with a RP DX5000 as my big tools extractor. The Henry works amazingly and if longevity is anything to go by mines now about 20 years old and other than having to for the wiring where the power cable connects to the main unit it has been faultless. I use it without a Bag and because of the cyclone it needs an empty and blow with an airline maybe every 6 months

Well I think every workshop should have a Henry! They are reliable and tough and you could just use it directly connected to your tools, moving it round as needed. None of the activities you mention will generate a huge volume of dust / shavings. You'll only use one on the lathe when sanding. If you find the bag filling up to often then add a simple pre-separator which you can make yourself for next to nothing. That's how I started and still have the henry which gets used most days.
Hi Richard, I wonder if you could explain a bit more about making a pre-separator please? I'm just setting up my first workshop and having spent a fair bit on new toys recently Im hoping to save some pennies and use my old Henry for dust extraction. I'll be using a track saw, bandsaw, router and sander mainly and would be really grateful for your thoughts.
The original poster mentions a cyclone attached to a Henry and I was wondering about this too (function/benefit/cost etc)
As you can tell, I'm a newbie (soz) and this is my first post. Im learning loads from this (great) site and I'd really welcome advice from any of you much-more-experienced-than-me people too! Thanks :)

Hi Richard, I wonder if you could explain a bit more about making a pre-separator please? I'm just setting up my first workshop and having spent a fair bit on new toys recently Im hoping to save some pennies and use my old Henry for dust extraction. I'll be using a track saw, bandsaw, router and sander mainly and would be really grateful for your thoughts.
The original poster mentions a cyclone attached to a Henry and I was wondering about this too (function/benefit/cost etc)
As you can tell, I'm a newbie (soz) and this is my first post. Im learning loads from this (great) site and I'd really welcome advice from any of you much-more-experienced-than-me people too! Thanks :)

Basically it's a container fitted before the vacuum which separates much of the dust and shavings out before reaching the vacuum. Most examples today use a cyclone to improve the efficiency of the separator but you don't have to, a simple box with and an 'in' and an 'out' will capture nearly all the heavier shavings and a surprising mount of the dust too and have the advantage of being very easy to build. The basic principle is to slow the speed of the airflow so that the heavier dust has the chance to fall to the bottom of the container. The longer the dust is travelling at the lower speed the more will fall out.

There are loads of examples, one from Woodcraft, example image from that article below.

separator2.gif

Rutlands has some commercial examples and even Electrolux sells one for domestic vacuums.

PSEEVF200PS00027.jpg

There are some designed of halfway between a full cyclone and a simple separator. I've seen this one from Make magazine built and it's neat and very effective.

thielbaffle_dustcyclone_v2.jpg

I use a henry and cyclone for the majoity of my power tools and works very well. Invest in a HEPA filter for it aswell.
I also use it for my under table saw extraction with a modfied shroud on my Wadkin AGS.

One thing to note is that currently I have an old type henry which I think is 1500 watts or so. I think the new ones are less wattage (800) but im un-sure how much this effects performance. I have a new henry on another cyclone and it doest quite have the same suction. Before the henry I used a 2000watt bagless VAX vacuum which gave a lot of suction and only replaced as it burnt out.

EDIT:
Did a little research and it would seem that the new lower watt henrys are just as sucky as the old higher wattage ones..

Last edited:
Well, Axminster made the decision for me, they upped the price of the NV750 yesterday by over 20% making it the best part of £500 !

Henry (well James actually) ordered and the cyclone + container for £150 and change.

Thanks everyone for your input and advice.
Andrew

Back