Dust Collector Remote Switch for 16A Extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DOL wiring diagram complete.

DOL_RemoteControl.JPG

Not as simple as I first assumed so 2 relays will be required, but this is not a show stopper.

1 No. Control Board and remote -http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A2LB1IUQW3VNM

2 No. Control Relays http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A18JZ7BLM3QCEI

Costs £18.24

Credit goes to Monkey Mark for original idea.

Bright-Spark

Attachments

• DOL_RemoteControl.JPG
    DOL_RemoteControl.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 300
Bright-Spark":1hdo4qpx said:
DOL wiring diagram complete.

Not as simple as I first assumed so 2 relays will be required, but this is not a show stopper.

1 No. Control Board and remote -http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A2LB1IUQW3VNM

2 No. Control Relays http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A18JZ7BLM3QCEI

Costs £18.24

Credit goes to Monkey Mark for original idea.

Bright-Spark

Nice schematic there Bright-Spark (which software did you use to do that?)

I think you would only need one relay. As long as the coil on the dol starter is 230v (which in the case of a single phase DX is almost guaranteed), then the remote will be able to activate it directly. There will be very little current draw so no worries about limits.
On your diagram that would be the output from channel 1 connected to terminal 3, effectively parallel with existing Start. (Keep in mind that would be switching on the Neutral line but could easily be switched to Live for safety.)

As for the stop, exactly as you have put.
The remotes are designed mainly for lights and as such i've yet to find one that has a NC contact at 230v.

Team work, that's what I like 8)

Sawdust=manglitter":rstu1qi9 said:
That sounds like an excellent solution, and a plausible one for me to be able to do myself... given some direction! As HOJ suggested, would someone be so kind as to post a schematic that a layman like me could follow and understand?

Much appreciated!!
Let me know if you can read these ok. If you want I can substitute the schematic for a more pictorial version i.e. remove the DOL wiring and replace with a DOL unit, which you would see in yours with appropriate extra wiring to complete.

Monkey Mark":230nhv4d said:
Let me know if you can read these ok. If you want I can substitute the schematic for a more pictorial version i.e. remove the DOL wiring and replace with a DOL unit, which you would see in yours with appropriate extra wiring to complete.

Thanks both bright spark and monkey mark for the diagrams!!

Would you mind making a more pictorial version please? I wouldn't really know what I was looking at when opening up components etc. I may need to bribe a couple of more electrically minded mates to give me a hand.

Really appreciate all the input!

gallery_61232_1513_21913.jpg

I have left out all of the wiring that will already exist in a standard installation, to aid clarity, as that would not need to be altered other than the stop relay being placed in series.

Could I ask a dumb question, I cant see how you have paralleled the start button, or am I missing something.

HOJ in Monkey Marks drawing the start button is connected across 17 and 18. The switched live feed from the controller is connected to 18 the out going side of the start button, so is effectively connected in parallel with the start button. In inching mode the controller will momentarily apply power at 18 energising the coil which will pull the contractor in. Idenical to a press on the start button.

Bright-Spark

Final update before information over load.

Additional drawing showing Standard DOL wiring before alterations

DOL.JPG

Amended drawing showing finalised single additional relay design by Monkey Mark.

DOL-WithRemoteControl.JPG

I have added colouring to the wiring in an attempt to make it easier to follow.

The control channels are the opposite way round to Mark's drawing but this make no difference in operation, only which button you press on the remote control fob for stop, start.

For Monkey Mark, all drawings done in AutoCad 2016

Bright-Spark

Attachments

• DOL.JPG
    DOL.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 265
  • DOL-WithRemoteControl.JPG
    DOL-WithRemoteControl.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 253
Further to previous very helpful replies, the work involved appears above my ability level!

Would anyone with the know-how be interested in wiring up and posting me something to be able to attach to my Axminster T-2000CK-200H Cyclone Extractor under instruction? Obviously I would pay for the efforts!

Anyone interested?

Sawdust=manglitter":31fhh5v7 said:
Further to previous very helpful replies, the work involved appears above my ability level!

Would anyone with the know-how be interested in wiring up and posting me something to be able to attach to my Axminster T-2000CK-200H Cyclone Extractor under instruction? Obviously I would pay for the efforts!

Anyone interested?
Whichever way you do it there will be some wiring involved. Can't make a plug-n-play device for this situation.

Monkey Mark":2alohwq9 said:
Whichever way you do it there will be some wiring involved. Can't make a plug-n-play device for this situation.

Ah, fair enough Mark. Its really not my forte and i can't afford to tinker and risk messing up an expensive machine! Forgice the complete ignorance, but if i were to look for someone local that would have the knowhow would i be looking for an electrical engineer... or would a normal electrician know what he's doing? Or someone different entirely!?

Sawdust=manglitter":1c0p5ct6 said:
Monkey Mark":1c0p5ct6 said:

Ah, fair enough Mark. Its really not my forte and i can't afford to tinker and risk messing up an expensive machine! Forgice the complete ignorance, but if i were to look for someone local that would have the knowhow would i be looking for an electrical engineer... or would a normal electrician know what he's doing? Or someone different entirely!?

With the wiring diagrams that are already on previous pages any electrician should be able to do it.
If I was closer to you I would do it myself but alas I'm a little too far away.
You could order the parts and get an electrician to fit it for you which has the benefits of him being there to troubleshoot if there are any issues, or how would you feel about connecting 5 wires yourself if all labeled with instructions?
(Not meaning to sound condescending in any way, apologies if it comes across that way).

I saw this thread and decided to give it a go.

I have just ordered the remote controller and the relay from Amazon. Sadly both are coming on a slow boat from China but they should be here for Christmas. Will let you know how I get on in a month's time!

Thanks for the great input guys - what a brilliant forum this is!

Steve

Monkey Mark":6hnltkbg said:
With the wiring diagrams that are already on previous pages any electrician should be able to do it.
You could order the parts and get an electrician to fit it for you which has the benefits of him being there to troubleshoot if there are any issues, or how would you feel about connecting 5 wires yourself if all labeled with instructions?
(Not meaning to sound condescending in any way, apologies if it comes across that way).

Not condescending, dont worry. I am a bit of a simp when it comes to this type of stuff! Having a good look back at both yours and Bright Sparks diagrams, they are pretty damn good. I may order the components and give it a try. Plenty of photos of how it was before any tampering!!
Thanks Mark!!

Sawdust=manglitter":3ssqtjp8 said:
Monkey Mark":3ssqtjp8 said:

Not condescending, dont worry. I am a bit of a simp when it comes to this type of stuff! Having a good look back at both yours and Bright Sparks diagrams, they are pretty damn good. I may order the components and give it a try. Plenty of photos of how it was before any tampering!!
Thanks Mark!!
No problem.
I can always give you my email or phone number if you need a little help when your parts arrive and I'm sure others will be happy to help too.

Interesting thread - thanks.

Has anyone done this successfully? I have the same dust collector and would love to wire in a remote control.

Back