Dust Collection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterthegardener

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a workshop in a single garage. Here I prepare the timber I am using to re-fit an old boat, I'm using oak and exterior hardwood plywood. I use a 12" bandsaw (JET), an Axi table saw (TS200), an old PT and a homemade router cabinet. To collect dust I started with a Wickes vac then added an old Electra Beckum SPA1000 dust collector. The issues I face are: not much room! not much cash! and a lot of dust especially around the dust collector but also elsewhere because older tools do not have good dust collection. So I would values some suggestions to improve the situation.
My first thought was to change the course filter bag, Charnwood do a 2 micron bag but I worry that this might just restrict the airflow too much. Metabo do a (much more expensive) paper cartridge filter, is this what I need to invest in?
My next thought was to spend longer making better "things" to collect dust from my existing tools. Hoods and adapters etc
Aligned to this last idea I wondered about creating a pipe system (soil pipe) to reduce losses in the hose and to get rid of 100mm pipe across the workshop, but maybe in a system that is all within 2.5m of the dust collector the losses due to flexible hose are negligible?
Finally I wondered if I am ever going to get adequate dust collection from these older machines/collector and if not then what should be my first priority? Should I be replacing the dust collector first or the dusty machines?
Sorry if this is a rather vague question but I am not really sure which way to take this

Maybe a cyclone or a thien separator to stop the dust even getting to you extractor in the first place. Either can be made for next to nothing if your budget is tight. people have written lots about upgrades to TS200 in this forum- search the archives, same with dust collecting from bandsaws and mitre saws if you have one. 110mm soil pipe works well and ignore the idiots that tell you to earth it. Use 45 degree branches plus 45 degree adaptors to get good flow through 90 degrees. Underground (brown) pipe and fittings are cheapest. Toolstation are a well priced supplier. Use foaming pu glue to join 100mm blast gate into 110 pipe to make adaptors from 110mm to 100mm flexi pipe.

Making better hoods and adapters could help and it's an inexpensive option, so I'd try that first.
Look for a dust collector that can move ~1,200 CFM. Units with less air flow can catch larger particles, but struggle with fine dust.
Also, the 2 micron bag might not be enough if you do a lot of sanding or work with mdf , so that's another thing to address.
I'm not sure that there is a low budget solution to these problems. :(

If it is dust around the extractors then you need better filters. The problem is better filters equal less suction. The sort answer is you probably need a stronger machine. The cheapest good machine is the Jet with the 1 micron filter.
The problem with adding a cyclone or drop box is you will lose a lot of suction because the turbulence they create
Sorry there is no easy cheap answer to good dust control

Being in the process of setting up my workshop, I am in a similar position to Peter too.
I have also just got an Electra Beckum Spa 1000 and was shocked by the high price of the add on filter. But I think for finer dusts I would rather use a vacuum type extractor.
And as suggested above a respirator as a second precaution. As an added bonus wearing a respirator keeps you warmer in the winter too!

I am very pleased with my dust collection system. i have a SIP vacuum unit, but did away with the bags and fitted a cyclone and waste box into the 62mm clear ducting.
My garage has a bandsaw, router table, belt sander and mitre saw all in a line, all connected through their own blast gates.
Its a minor inconvenience opening and shutting the gates, but well worth it to make the most of the system. I even have a "hoover" outlet so I can vacuum the equipment and floors after the day is done.
The cyclone is a VERY impressive piece of kit.

Back