dust collection problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Dust Problem

I am new to the forum and wondered if anyone can help with dust collection from an Axminster AWB12 saw bench, the saw is perfectly good and connected to a Charnwood 1HP bag chip collector with 1000m x 100 mm extract but it does blow dust above the blade and collects a lot of debris below the table- particularly when the blade is raised to 90mm.

any suggestions welcome for improvement. I wondered about upgrading extract but need guidance please if possible

i would think that your first issue is that it is connected to a chip collector rather than the HVLP vacuum type alternative. Your chip collector will work fine on a planer, but is less than idea for saws.

thanks for response, i have tried an Axminster twin motor hplv vacuum with 100mm collector and this makes little difference, if anything it collects less from the main body - i am assuming the problem is a poor internal body layout, does it seem logical to try and improve the enclosure and provide a second extract point? this may make a lot of work and need extra extract though,?

Is the floor of the machine open so that waste drops through? If so try taping some cardboard over the open bottom so that all air is sucked into the saw through the blade opening.

thanks again for suggestion of cardboard etc.

i have taken side panel off again and the blade enclosure is connected to hose in turn to extractor, the blade enclosure has a large slot which allows rise and fall and tilt of spindle and pulley so this needs to stay , also a slot exists at the back of the blade (down spin side) which i guess is to allow splinters and shards to escape or be fished out. there seems plenty of air movement at the extract point but i am wondering if the blade spinning is throwing material out of the above slots? i have a crown guard original equipment with 24mm hose but this seems useless for extract as connected to 100mm outlet below.

if i block up floor and other gaps to increase saw draught will this affect motor ventilation ?

The problem isn't your extractor (although you may want to consider adding a fine filter cartridge to it if possible).

I had a very similar problem with my t/s. In the end I taped up the majority of the gaps - check this link. 2nd page.

that cured the problem, and i've not had an issue since.

Cheers

Karl

oakhouse":3i3tlmyo said:
thanks again for suggestion of cardboard etc.

i have taken side panel off again and the blade enclosure is connected to hose in turn to extractor, the blade enclosure has a large slot which allows rise and fall and tilt of spindle and pulley so this needs to stay , also a slot exists at the back of the blade (down spin side) which i guess is to allow splinters and shards to escape or be fished out. there seems plenty of air movement at the extract point but i am wondering if the blade spinning is throwing material out of the above slots? i have a crown guard original equipment with 24mm hose but this seems useless for extract as connected to 100mm outlet below.

if i block up floor and other gaps to increase saw draught will this affect motor ventilation ?

Only one way to find out. I would try and seal up all other gaps as stated above so that the air is drawn through the blade slot.

thanks again to all for responses,

i have since discovered a string (attached) #p571349 which seems to have covered this ground before.

i will now do the deed with duct tape and MDF and see what happens, i will let you all know in time

Hey Ho !

Back