dust collecting cyclone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
I have a cyclone, but its not very big and I think its restricting my air flow.
Does anyone have any links or plans for a cyclone with 4" (100 mm) ports?

That first link is for a system bigger than my entire workshop. "just fits under an 8ft ceiling".
By chance, I just found the second video a couple minutes ago. Thats an awful lot of different parts and work there. I'd be much happier just buying one with 4" ports. or a less complicated design.

If you where willing to try to build a cyclone, that thien style system is way easier to build than a cyclone even if it looks advanced. It doesn't get much simpler than a thien separator, lots of videos and designs, look around and design your own to your own tastes.

You can just buy a cyclone though:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cyclone- ... 6,201409_4

That ali express one looks good, but they wont post it to me.

Just been reading about the thien, looks like I have yet another project on my hands.

I have the Cyclone Central, 2 of them in fact, they work well and are not too difficult to assemble.

I built a Thien a couple of years back, and I'm an silly person. Works really well. It's probably easier to build using 100mm ports than it is with the smaller ones.

Hi, I don't use 4" pipe as only have a shop vac but I did make one from a traffic cone which works really well and I cant see any reason why it wouldn't work with a larger diameter tube.
I cant post links for some reason but if you search Youtube for "Street cone dust cyclone build-015" that's the one I copied (although there are a few).

You just need to find a friendly highyway worker with a spare cone :)

Rorschach, cyclone 100m is what I want, but it looks like they have problems. They are "now taking orders after a long break", and nothing is available from stock. Dont want to risk £150 of my money on something that may never arrive.

Griffin, you need more than ten posts before you can post pics or links. I've seen the traffic cone one, but I dont think it will take a 4" hole in the side. I need to try to find a good one. They have all been run over Hundreds of times round here.

I have a 50 mm pipe cyclone, but with the new bandsaw, its not man enough for the job anymore. So far, it looks like a home build Thien is most likely.

Owl, there are several traffic cone variations, but I need a 4" hose top and side, so I dont think a cone will be wide enough. I think I need to build my own.

All I can find in the archives relating to Barry are for a 6" pipe 9 ft tall monster and loads of maths theory.

Not that simple. What theory I do know tells me that a 4" port in a normal bucket will be too wide to make the cyclone effect work, and just suck the dust straight to the middle pipe. It has to be enough to one side to make the swirl effect. Thats why I was hoping for plans that didnt involve cutting a hole in the roof.

I'm missing something I guess, but my Thein using 50mm ports would only have to be double the size to work with 100mm, or larger. Mine is less than 2ft tall with the collector attached so 4ft tall for something with 100mm ports?

Wow! I've never seen a thread span 5 years before!

Huge amount of unproven theory even after all that time, and overall gains very small, but interesting reading.

I can see which way I'm headed now, but its not going to be as complicated as theirs thats for sure.

I have a 100mm http://www.cyclonecentral.co.uk l....it's self assembly and if I made another it would be better (less messy) than the first, but they do work really well. I seem to remember that there was a delay when I ordered mine but it was worth waiting for. I think the owner is a contributor on here ? give them a call / email to find out how long. They have a new web-site but I think they sell them as fast as they produce them !
I first made one from bendy ply and 100mm soil pipe, which did work as well but could have done with sealing / polishing to make the flow better. Just cut a card template, then wrap to shape, I used p/u glue and ratchet straps, then a few bolts to be sure.G

Latest posts

Back