Dust / chip extractor went bang

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintandsteel

Established Member
Reaction score
I use this thing most days and usually refer to it as my electric dustbin.
Probably of a reasonable age, dark green original paint but no maker ID of any sort. Actually about the size of a dustbin.
Switched it on and bang. Felt the draft on my hand so I guess the component in the picture (not sure what it is.
Should have done a 1st picture the minute I opened it. But I think the component sat between the 2 live terminals so maybe a low power to pre engage on the motor then full power when switched on? A complete guess.
I'd like to know what it is and can someone id it from the pictures. If so is it or similar available and where from?
vac c.jpg

vac b.jpg

vac a.jpg

Not sure what it's called so can't do that. I'm familiar with resistors and capacitors but no idea on this one.

This is a suppression component comprising three capacitors within one unit wired across L, N & Earth. Made for RS Components. I'll have a better look for a replacement tomorrow when I can use my PC rather than my tablet. You could continue to use your dust extractor without suppression but it will probably cause radio frequency interference to other people so it cannot be recommended.
Martin

@flintandsteel .Sorry for the delay getting back. RS Components no longer offer that component or any directly compatible one. I cannot find a direct equivalent on any site I would have used as a professional electronic engineer. You have a couple of alternative solutions.
You could fit a 'boxed' suppression device e.g. RS stock number 210-415 (click code for link) (£17 inc VAT). That's 6.5A i.e. 1600W (I don't know the rating of your extractor) or something like the 6A/1500W RS Pro 237-8678 (£6.66 inc VAT). Both of these are somewhat bulkier than the original component so it is a question of have you the room to fit it. BTW you don't/shouldn't run these components at their full rating - so a, let's say a 100W motor is great on a 1500W rated component - but you probably know that.
An alternative is to fit the nearest equivalent component that I can find but this is a 'bare' component: in other words you will have to provide all the wiring to it and PROVIDE SUITABLE INSULATION. The original internal components were, as far as I can see, an X2-rated capacitor of 0.1uF and two Y2-rated capacitors of 0.005uF (5nF). A possible equivalent is the Farnell stock number 9717617 (£5.14 inc VAT) or CPC CA08123 (£2.40 inc VAT). The have 0.1uF capacitors in all three positions but the extra capacitance is not usually a problem.
Please note that RS, Farnell and CPC all have a minimum order charge I think from memory of around £20.
The final choice is yours depending upon the motor rating and available space but if I can be of further help just message me - it's good to use some of my previous experience.
Good luck.
Martin.

Since this is not a run capacitor and is merely an RF interference filter/ minimise sparks on the commutator I'd buy one on ebay - it's passing little current so any quality capacitor would suffice

It does need to be an X rated cap across L-N and Y rated from L to E and N to E to survive the possible/probable surges and spikes on L and N. Otherwise a) more bangs and b) repeated replacements.

I had the same on a twin motor Record extractor, both went bang and smell of smoke.

Took them out and didn't replace them, my radio is unaffected and so is the extractor ! :)

It is a spark suppression capacitor - actually 3 capacitors in one package. You can't use just any capacitor - it has to be rated for 240V Ac operation (Delta X2 / Y2 / Y2) or it's in danger of exploding. The RS one is no longer available but the CPC/Farnell one mentioned earlier is equivalent - though as said, you have to solder leads on to it and have proper insulation. I had exactly the same problem with my extractor and this capacitor fixed it. You can run the motor without it but it will wear the brushes quickly and probably wipe out the radio.

My thanks everyone
Got it back together and it runs fine. Doesn't interfere with the radio.
Point taken on brushes.
It's a noisy beast so if it packs up I'll replace it with a quieter one.
For a while it's not appeared to draw quite as well as it used to. Lid seal not good? Only has the cloth bag rim to seal it (always been like that).

Back