Dust/chip extraction - recommend not type but equipment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nautilus21

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Finally getting workshop up and running.. So need some help deciding on which extractor to purchase...

Already have hplv systems for hand tools and now need something to support bigger toys without breaking the bank

Have a small planer thicknesses, bandsaw table saw and a lathe....

In my mind I have something with 1- 1.5 -2 hp motor single phase , ideally 13 amp, and for £150.... To save me a bit of homework any recommendations: or ones to avoid

Thx

Id be tempted to look for a used 1 bag startrite dust extractor, there are often one or two on fleabay and within your budget. Just make sure it runs without any vibration which is an indication of a damaged impeller.

You might struggle to get a 1 bag new unit for £150.00

You're not going to find a new extractor that powerful at that price I'm afraid. You're better off searching on ebay if you want something in the 2hp range

Bandsaw and table saw will generate fine dust, sanding on the lathe even finer, so make sure you check the filtration level. Typical extractors rated at 5 micron won't protect your lungs but would be OK for the planer. You might need to consider an add on fine pleated filter (expensive) or get more than one extractor - one for the planer ( because of the volume of waste) and a separate fine filter for the bandsaw etc ( also expensive ). I don't think your budget will stretch to a pleated filter on it's own, without the actual extractor. Personally I would put dust extraction as a high priority and spend what is needed to get the right kit.

I made the mistake of buying a fine filter type but it is just not powerful enough, so I had to buy other kit. I have a Kity on the p/t for chippings, the original fine filter on my belt / disc sander and on the table saw (although it is not good enough) and a couple of domestic vacs.

I also have a large powerful fan which I intend to fit in the wall and connect via a drop box to my lathe using home made square plywood ducting - no filtering, just exhaust to the outside. So basically it is a hotch potch, but I am getting there. I just wish I had bought the right kit in the first place.

K

Back