Dumb question: Yellow CLS Rot Resistance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelsun

Established Member
Reaction score
The yellow treated CLS framing stuff - how rot resistant is it compared to standard tanalised rough sawn? To be clear (oh Lord I sound like a politician saying that :roll: ) this is the stuff I'm on about:
mptkNesVAk6tGMbJSuhhyQw.jpg

I've Googled to no avail. My local wood yard and neighbour who's just built his own mega-house near single handed both said it's plenty fine for framing a shed. Is it as resistant but just more expensive? Apologies for the question but I've always had it in my head that tanalised would be more resistant.

Attachments

• mptkNesVAk6tGMbJSuhhyQw.jpg
    mptkNesVAk6tGMbJSuhhyQw.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 181
Yellow die is low pressure treatment it's fine for stuff that might get damp like framing the walls, but for stuff that's exposed to the outdoors like a shed floor I'd definitely go with Tanalised it's far more resistant to rot, there's a fair bit of difference in how long this stuff is designed to last and what it's supposed to be exposed to.

Thanks for that. Figured as much but never could get a definitive answer.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'd be surprised if it's treated at all TBH. In my experience EW/ER timber (basically farmed spruce) will rot whether or not it's been pressure-treated, if wet enough. The trick is to avoid getting it wet from rainwater or from condensation, and to provide ventilation to keep it dry. That said, I wouldn't use untreated stuff for structural things like rafters and walls, but I'd be happy enough to use it "indoors" for non-structural things. Cheers, W2S

Back