drnking vessel finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildewood

Established Member
Reaction score
Hiya

What you turners use to seal/finish the inside of their goblets and tankards?
cheers S

I've been wondering this too. I'd like a finish that would be good for drinking beer out of without affecting the taste as I imagine something like walnut oil might. I don't want chemicals like polyurethane or melamine to leech in to the drink because I imagine at least one of the chemicals we use now will end up the asbestos or lead of the future.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I would suggest either Rustins plastic finish or Chestnut Melamine lacquer (which is EN71 certified). Oil and wax based finishes generally aren't durable enough to remain waterproof.

Rustins plasticote. Melamine lacquer can be penetrated by wines fairly quickly. I make a lot of these and the Plasticote is the only one I can guarantee. It is made for kitchen worktops and floors and is liquid proof and alchohol resistant. Been using it for a few years now with no problems. I am also testing Treatex hard wax oil at the moment as that was mentioned by another turner who does goblets but as yet can't say for certain about its longevity. .

pete

Yes, that's what he means. Although it is touch dry very quickly (the first coat may take longer), don't be tempted to put on more than three coats in 24hrs, the finish tends to dimple. Better to do 2 or 3 and leave for a day or 2 then do another couple. It's a quite nice finish for turnery as you have complete control of how glossy it finishes.

Great

many thanx again I had seen the Rustins, but when I read the blurb I wasn't sure, anyway sounds like the way to go. all the best shaun

Latest posts

Back