Using spanners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stigmorgan

Established Member
Reaction score
As some of you will have seen, I've recently done a couple of captive ring goblets, I've seen spanners used to size dowel/pegs and wondered about using one to do the final cuts on a captive ring, I have a bucket of spanners I can use, what are your thoughts guys?

As some of you will have seen, I've recently done a couple of captive ring goblets, I've seen spanners used to size dowel/pegs and wondered about using one to do the final cuts on a captive ring, I have a bucket of spanners I can use, what are your thoughts guys?
My initial thought is that spanners are made from forged steel - not tool steel - so even if you were excellent at free-hand sharpening and could get some sort of cutting edge on a spanner it is unlikely to last very long.

Having said that, thinking 'outside the box' has to be a good idea :)

I've used them as a 'go-no go' gauge when cutting with a skew or bedan, but it sounds like you mean sharpening the spanner jaws?
If you want to get behind a captive ring an Allen key can be sharpened to get in there

@Tris That's plan B if the spanner doesn't work out, my thought is that the spanner would help keep the ring perfectly round 🤷‍♂️

@TRITON spindle roughing gouge on a bowl turning 🙈🙊🙉
Ahh yes, read the post wrongly. I'd come across ring spanner chisels before and that got stuck in my head, but while searching for a vid,did see some using the open ended type.
All in al it looked a dangerous operation to me.

Last night we had a demonstration by Pete Montcrieff-Jury who used spanners to size his work.
Rick Turns (4m.33s) -
Pete used his spanners the other way up & only sharpened the top edge.

Last night we had a demonstration by Pete Montcrieff-Jury who used spanners to size his work.
Rick Turns (4m.33s) -
Pete used his spanners the other way up & only sharpened the top edge.

That's what I've seen before and where I got the idea to use a spanner for rings.

@TRITON I would only be using the spanner for the very final shaping /sizing cut after roughing to shape with a gouge/skew and I'm not going more than 8mm so in theory the ring will break rather than the spanner if something went wrong

Cant quite picture what you are getting at. I can see the sharpened spanner trick doing the stem but how do you intend doing the ring with it.
May be some ideas from this guy.

How to Make and Use a Captive Ring Tool - YouTube
Have to say I am no expert at captive rings only having done a couple to tick the box using normal turning tools and a lot of sanding to hide my lack of skill. I can however see the point of getting tooled up if you are going to be doing lots of them.
Regards
John

Cant quite picture what you are getting at. I can see the sharpened spanner trick doing the stem but how do you intend doing the ring with it.
May be some ideas from this guy.

How to Make and Use a Captive Ring Tool - YouTube
Have to say I am no expert at captive rings only having done a couple to tick the box using normal turning tools and a lot of sanding to hide my lack of skill. I can however see the point of getting tooled up if you are going to be doing lots of them.
Regards
John
It would work almost the same way but horizontal instead of vertical

Back