Drill stuck in chuck - FIXED

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crooked Tree

Established Member
Reaction score
I have somehow managed to get a large twist drill (imperial, ~16mm shank, ~22mm cutting diameter) stuck in the chuck of my pillar drill. It is an Axminster keyless chuck "B16", 3-16mm capacity, which fits into the drill using a morse taper.

Has anyone a clever suggestion for removing it or is it simply a job for a strap wrench of some sort?

It's not that uncommon for a driil bit of the max dia of the chuck to get "stuck" in the chuck.
Loosen the chuck as much as you can then lower the drill sharply on to a block of wood to free it.
It will need to go into the chuck to free off the jaws before it will come out.

It is actually the loosening of the chuck that is the problem - I can't turn it :oops: . I suspect that I may have applied too much down pressure whilst drilling a piece of steel. Next time I will drill through with a smaller drill first and progress up in size to the large bit.

Don't know then, my next step would be to hold a heavy metal object on one side of the chuck and strike the other side with a hammer.

If you can get the chuck itself off the drill shaft, a bit of gentle heat followed by a series of light clouts along the line of the shaft should move it enough the get a twist on the chuck to work.

Fixed. I removed the chuck and its arbor from the quill (wasn't able to separate the chuck from the arbor) and held it in the vice between a couple of pieces of scrap timber. I then used a band wrench to turn the knurled ring above the main body of the chuck and it undid fairly easily.

Gave it a good blast of WD40 to drive out the water from an attempt to heat it :oops: , followed by oil.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Back