Advice please Taper shaft chuck falling out of drill press

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sideways

UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've been asked to help fix an Axminster white number 16 bench drill. This works adequately as a woodwork drill but its chuck has started falling out when not in use.
It has a Jacobs 34 chuck on what I think is a #2 morse taper shaft.
The taper on the chuck feels decently smooth and even to the touch.
Feeling with a "pinkie" finger, the inside taper of the drill feels a little uneven in a couple of places so I think this is the cause of the problem. Don't know if it is damaged metal or if dust / swarf can get trapped in there and compressed / burnt onto the inside surface.
This isn't much used for metalworking and I haven't measured the runout.

Are there any DIY level techniques that are recommended for cleaning up an inside taper without ruining it ? Thanks.

If it's burred inside then one of these https://www.rdgtools.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh00 ... ml#SID=467

If you do get the reamer, only use it lightly to remove the burrs, I wouldn't cut a whole new taper without a way of keeping it straight, you may end up with a lot of run out.

If it is just dirt and burnt on wood dust then a bit of emery paper on the shank of a drill and poked up the taper and gently rub it should do it.

Cheers
Andy

If there's wood residue inside I think solvent cleaning would be the first thing to try.

A good squirt of WD40 or any similar type of spray, let it site for a while, add some more and then use a bottle brush to scrub the taper. Wipe dry with a paper towel.

I found a perfectly sized bottle brush for use on my lathe, use it regularly as I change tailstock tooling a lot.

A reamer is very handy to have, use mine about once or twice a year to clean up any stubborn chips or burrs.

Thanks everyone, that gives me 3 stages to work through in order until I fix it. Perfect.
WD40 / solvent with a brush and paper
Fine emery on a male taper
The reamer - which is cheaper than I imagined them to be

Much appreciated :)

Latest posts

Back