Drill press chuck and spindle falls out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmcmahon

Reaction score
I have a Draper 02016 bench drill. I changed the supplied MT2 Jacobs type chuck and arbor for an Albrecht chuck with built-in MT2 arbor. It’s a “160MK2 ALBRECHT PRECISION CHUCK WITH INTERGAL MORSE TAPER SHANK”

I much prefer the keyless self tightening Albrecht, until it falls off, which it does from time to time.

When pressed on in the usual way by bringing the chuck down on a block of wood it feels snug and firm, but light vibration, or any drill bit sticking in thick wood will cause the Albrecht to come loose.

I’ve checked the fit and cleanliness and it seems fine, I’m only doing vertical drilling, usually in wood, with no side forces on the chuck.

Does anyone know why this is happening and what should I do to stop it?

Put it in the freezer over night.
The chuck that is.
Straight out the freezer and in to the machine. Then leave it. It will expand as it cools. Should be rock solid from then on. Might not get it back out though if it works correectly.

How clean is the female taper? A tiny spot of dirt is enough to make it not seat tidily on the taper.

As Trevanion says, cleaning both parts of the taper is key. Clean with dry rag, then again with a clean rag with meths or isopropanol, don’t stop until the rag comes away completely clean. Then press the chuck in in the usual way.

I had exactly the same problem. I thought the taper was clean, until I did the job really thoroughl.

Good luck!

Back