Drill Press

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pewe

Established Member
Reaction score
I have need of a Drill press for a project I am working on.

It needs to be of the radial type as the standard throat depth of most I've seen is not deep enough (need to drill centrally on 600mm wide material).

I don't want to spend a fortune as once the project is finished I won't really have much need for it.

I have seen a Fern Radial at under £50, but not sure of its quality (in terms of accuracy rather than longevity).

Has anyone any experience of the Fern, or any other suggestions.

TIA.

If you have a budget of circa £50 you will not be spoiled for choice.
A Radial drill at that kind of money may have some minuses in terms of quality but maybe not as many as you might imagine and it will probably be as accurate as you require. I'm sure it will do the job satisfactorily for you. Ferm usually represents pretty good value for money and at £50 its a no brainer. You shouldn't have any problems selling it on afterwards either if you dont want to keep it.
beejay

Pewe, rather than buy a machine you have no use for afterwards (although I suspect once you have a pilllar drill you'll use it a lot more than you think) have you considered a plunge cut router bit and guide rail/jig arrangement?

Mark

have you considered a plunge cut router bit and guide rail/jig arrangement?

Yes Mark, this is one of the reasons I would not have much use for the pillar drill afterwards.

I am designing a series of new workbenches, router table, table saw accessories etc and once I have prototyped them I will make the jigs etc for my guide rail system to make production quicker and easier.

To work with the prototypes I need to 'experiment' with different ideas, and the pillar drill would be easier to work with initially, although in the long term the guide rail with jigs would be quicker and more accurate.

Pewe - I can one billion percent (yes, 1 billion) guarentee that the Ferm will be a wasted purchase - I know, I had the misfortune to own one!

When I got it, the motor was off-centre, creating a very nasty grinding sound and a wobbly bit. The chuck would never come off - as the spindle it was attached too was also crooked. After speaking to screwfix and following some of their 'corrective' setup proceadures, I proceeded to pack the thing up and list it on ebay - not a single bid!

It's a pile of junk and in the end I gave it to my brother to strip for parts.

Please Please by the love of all that is holy don't buy the Ferm!!

Too late, Byron :D I just bought one :oops: but, thanks to your timely warning, I'll keep all the packaging and if it's as duff as you say then Screwfix can come and collect it.

Is there an emoticon for 'gently weeping over cornflakes at the thought of another 'Ferm' tool being purchased' :)

I hope you get a good one - well, good is a relative term here :)

I decided to try one of the Ferns before I saw Byrons post - which got me a bit concerned.

It arrived today and I have to say I am very pleased with it so far.

It was well packaged, and easy to assemble (took about 5 minutes) and it is now up and running.

The parts were all reasonable quality wrapped in greaseproof paper and nothing was missing.

Once I fitted the belt and started it up it ran very smoothly with minimal noise and there is no wobble or vibration on the spindle. Of course I have not yet had a chance to test out its drilling capability - but will do so tomorrow.

My only critiscism would be that the key which fits the slot on the sliding bar is not an extremely tight fit, and when returning the head to verticl position it needs careful attention to make sure it is square - but this will be easily resolved when I have a minute to attend to it.

So, overall, a reasonably good value purchase. Either Byron was unlucky with his, or I am extremely lucky with mine. It will be interesting to see how Roger gets on with his.

Finally got round to assembling mine. Just in time to send it back to Screwfix...load of junk! The drill head judders as you move it back and forth..that is when it actually deigns to move..usually needs one foot anchoring the front of the bench. The drill head rocks up and down...bang goes your carefully setup 90 degrees. The drill head rotates and doesn't lock easily. To lock it you have to...oh..to hell with it..life's too short. You get my drift :cry:

If you're looking to drill holes with bit sizes that could be handled by a multi-tool, perhaps it might be worth considering a Dremel in a drill stand rotated through 180 degrees about its pedestal and moved into position over the workpiece.

Dremel1.jpg

Gill

Are there any radial drill presses available for a bit more money? Quick search on google just gives Draper/SIP/Lookalikes that all look suspiciously to be from the same stable as the ghastly Ferm.

Hi Roger
Mine is Rexon and has done OK. Scheppach also do one, but I don't know the Ferm so couldn't say if they're different.

Question:

I cannot find it anywhere but is there a bigger model than the identified radial pillar drill. I fancy one a bit bigger with more horses in it without being exactly industrial. The hobby specc'ed is currently my problem.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance.

PS Hope I'm not hijacking the thread :oops:

BrianD":1dk43ez8 said:
Question: I cannot find it anywhere but is there a bigger model than the identified radial pillar drill. I fancy one a bit bigger with more horses in it without being exactly industrial. The hobby specc'ed is currently my problem.
What do you mean by "bigger"? Greater depth spindle centre to column? Motor size? Chuck capacity?

As far as this style of drill goes there aren't really any industrial radial arm drill presses designed specifically for woodworking, although the nearest at one time would have been something like my recessor. The modern ones seem to be the bolemic result of some furtive midnight shennanigans between an engineering radial drill and a cheap benchtop drill press.

In terms of power 500 watts (3/4 HP) of induction motor is more than adequate for wood bits up to about 35mm. It's what my 1960s Meddings industrial drill uses and it's more than adequate I've found. To go bigger than that, simply use a lower speed.

Scrit

Aragorn":2thjjajj said:
Hi Roger
Mine is Rexon and has done OK. Scheppach also do one, but I don't know the Ferm so couldn't say if they're different.

Thanks, Aragorn. That Scheppach looks the biz althouygh the upper sliding sleeve looks suspiciously similar to the Ferm mechanism but I guess there's only one way you can provide this functionality and that it will depend on what's inside the sleeve.

Anyone have any knowledge?

Good question Scrit.

As I originally stated - something with some more horses and what I have current jambs up often (and yes I have geared it down but then I could go hand speed as an alternative).

The two key aspects for me is the depth - preferably up to 100mm deep and more oomph so it drills at a respectable rate without seizing and stopping thus I ask. The model referred to is 550w and is slightly bigger than what I have now in my pillar drill - thus the question.

Maybe there isn't such an animal?

BrianD":2agkooup said:
The two key aspects for me is the depth - preferably up to 100mm deep and more oomph so it drills at a respectable rate without seizing and stopping thus I ask. The model referred to is 550w and is slightly bigger than what I have now in my pillar drill - thus the question.

Maybe there isn't such an animal?
There is, but if you want a drill with more horses, it will be a larger drill press with a bigger chuck. For example Meddings (who are still about) used to do drill presses in L1 series - 1/3hp (1/2in in mild steel), M2 series - 1/2hp (5/8in in mild steel) and M4 series - 3/4hp (7/8in in mild steel). A floor standing M4 used to weigh in around 170kg. But it still wouldn't have the column to quill centre distance you require (circa 300mm).

I have an old Meddings LT mkIII floor standing drill and it will drill 100mm depth x 12mm without problems on under 1/2HP in hardwood (sycamore, beech, etc) - although like any other drill it does need clearing regularly. So I've sometimes just taken to "drilling" a starter hole with the drill press then finishing with an auger bit in a corded drill (my high torque SDS with the hammer action disabled) depending on depth required (my drill press has a drilling limit of 100mm)

Some questions about your drill press seizing - is it the motor stalling or the belt slipping? How sharp are your bits? What type of bits are you using and what (if any) lead screw do they have (coerse, fine, etc)? What are you going into (material)?

Scrit

Answers are:

Motor stalls
The bits are new and are Jobquick Forstner 25mm into pine.

The cutting speed I control and I find I have to back off - nothing like I see old Norm doing and I am using soft wood! I can't imagine when I start with hard woods.

I accept that I am not as experienced but the current situation is poor so I too am looking around for a replacement, so I do not want to land up in the same situation again. Thus being cautious.

Back