Drill, needs a motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aled Dafis":3qnythks said:
Where did you get the belting and pulley?
ebay :shock: the seller has lots of the pulleys, the only problem is no threaded hole for a locking screw, I have some headless allen screws and taps in a tin, somewhere, just got to hunt for them. I found a bit of 12mm silver steel I can use for the shaft, just need four large nuts and a length of stud to complete the adaptor.
I am thinking of using a 3/4" ply as the adaptor for mounting the motor.

DaveL":b30rmqvi said:

You've lost me now. :lol: I thought I saw the motor mounting in your earlier pic? Or do you 'Have a cunning plan'? :?

Edit
As you were, I was forgetting the larger motor. :oops:

studders":f3pktzyg said:
DaveL":f3pktzyg said:

You've lost me now. :lol: I thought I saw the motor mounting in your earlier pic? Or do you 'Have a cunning plan'? :?

Edit
As you were, I was forgetting the larger motor. :oops:
The mounting holes on the drill are imperial centres while the new motor is metric, even the smaller motors would not have bolted straight on.

DaveL":2x30n9u8 said:
The mounting holes on the drill are imperial centres while the new motor is metric, even the smaller motors would not have bolted straight on.

One would of hoped they would have made them compatible to the old sizes. These things are sent to try us.

Well progress has been made, I got very oily cleaning years of grime from the castings and with a lot of bodging I now have the drill running.
3758622485_b0a35d038b.jpg

Its not pretty, I think maybe I should repaint it at some time, it would appear to of started life battle ship grey, been then covered in bright red followed by dark grey.
I still need to re-bore the motor pulley, that's why it is mounted upside down.
I turned the cover for the splined drive shaft, need to add a couple of clips to hold it in place, I think I will use some thin ply to make some sort of belt guard, there is a lot of things moving when its running and it would also keep the dust off the belts.
And yes that is the first hole its drilled, on the table. :D

Dave,

Nice to see an older machine running again but is that intermediate shaft really running with a bearing at the top only?
If so I can't help thinking it wont last long.

Bob

Bob,
Yes the lay shaft is only on one bearing, I agree that its not good practise but I could not see any other way of doing it. If the belt tensions are set correctly (unlike the current lash up) I hope there should not be too much load on the bearing. :-k
If you look this machine
8696-D.jpg

I guess that the lay pulley has bearings inside it, not that easy to do at home. :whistle:

Hmm! I understand the problem and so far I have not come up with an easy solution.

For now I'd make the belt guard sturdy just in case something goes wrong.

I can imagine a problem if the drill snatches such as drilling brass. If you stick to wood then should be ok.

Drill Safe!

Bob

I think the centre pulley could be on a movable centre so that as you tension the motor the centre pulley moves to balance the loads across both belts.
Either way there should be minimal radial load on the centre pulley bearing.

Back